Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2023, 02:43 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
It was easier to be poor relative to the surrounding society and fellow citizens. Many people who are poor today are, by some measures, better off than even wealthy people a century or two (or more) ago. But now there is an increasing disparity between the wealthy and the poor. And there are more things that are considered "basic" in order to get along at all in our society -- not just a bed to sleep in and at least some semblance of a kitchen to store and prepare some food, but things like a mobile phone (ideally a smartphone -- for you and your kids, to be able to reach them), access to the internet, access to broadcast media, cars (in places with low walkability), childcare (You cannot leave children home alone even at ages where people used to leave them -- in the 1970s and 1980s there were lots of kids who were "latchkey" kids, who could be as young as first grade, and came home, unlocked the door, let themselves in the house, and stayed there until their parent(s) returned home from work a couple or a few hours later. Today, people would be calling social services.)

So, relative to the established norms, and the median expectations for the average person, it probably is harder now than it was years ago.
Agreed. There is also a difference between rural poor and urban poor. If you look at, historically and currently even, at incomes, many rural people in ag are dirt poor (even if they have land/equipment that is not cheap (understatement)). One difference is, they could raise their own food, and more often than not made their own clothes (that's mostly historical at this time). There is a good reason the Ball family became filthy rich producing canning jars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2023, 03:27 PM

10,007 posts, read 15,650,939 times
This an interesting topic but it should be its own thread. It has nothing to do with the Clancys or the deaths of their children.

Old 02-03-2023, 04:09 AM

531 posts, read 424,384 times
We listen to WBZ in the morning while having coffee and the Duxbury story just came on. The newscaster started off by saying Lindsey is charged with murder and assault but then went on to say she’s improving in the hospital, seems upbeat when family and friends visit, and her husband’s Go Fund Me has reached over a million dollars. It struck me as odd that they almost seemed to be rooting for her but maybe I’m interpreting it all wrong.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:12 AM

3,586 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
We listen to WBZ in the morning while having coffee and the Duxbury story just came on. The newscaster started off by saying Lindsey is charged with murder and assault but then went on to say she’s improving in the hospital, seems upbeat when family and friends visit, and her husband’s Go Fund Me has reached over a million dollars. It struck me as odd that they almost seemed to be rooting for her but maybe I’m interpreting it all wrong.
Upbeat?! How can someone be upbeat in this situation? Yes, sounds very odd.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:26 AM

531 posts, read 424,384 times
Weird, right? That might not have been the exact word, but the newscaster definitely said something about her recuperating in a Boston hospital while surrounded by family and friends and her doing well/improving. And apparently people are quite supportive as the GFM is making a pretty penny.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:44 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
There was an article that came out yesterday and the phrase they used was 'improving daily'

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...2962038/?amp=1

I thought it seemed weird too. I personally don't care if her physical condition is improving daily but apparently a lot of people do. I also read she had spoken with friends and family. I'm assuming she knows what she did at this point so i don't know how on earth anyone could seem upbeat after that.

I was thinking the gofundme was mainly for the husband but I suppose it's for her too. This is the world we live in today I guess. I remind myself that this is a very liberal state and i think people are taking the opportunity to really recognize maternal mental health and what can happen if people don't get support ? Seemed to me she was getting more help than many mothers.

Old 02-03-2023, 05:45 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
Upbeat?! How can someone be upbeat in this situation? Yes, sounds very odd.
First of all....you can`t always believe what you read in the news....second, she is probably, on so many drugs, that she would seem upbeat.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:07 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I was thinking the gofundme was mainly for the husband but I suppose it's for her too. This is the world we live in today I guess. I remind myself that this is a very liberal state and i think people are taking the opportunity to really recognize maternal mental health and what can happen if people don't get support ? Seemed to me she was getting more help than many mothers.
I have mixed feelings about this gofundme. No question this man has suffered an unimaginable tragedy. But is money really what he needs? Yes, the money is also going to help her, as it helps him, but I'm not even sure the legal fees will necessarily be that high. They most certainly could be. But it's also possible they might not be. Sure, money can make things easier in many ways for him, but there are lots of people for whom money would make things easier. I'm not sure he is the person most in need of funds at this moment. If people want to donate money, there are A LOT of people in great need of it, I would say more so than this guy. He has my sympathies, sure. I can't even imagine. But money isn't the cure.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:11 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
second, she is probably, on so many drugs, that she would seem upbeat.

Old 02-03-2023, 06:20 AM

16,308 posts, read 8,126,207 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I have mixed feelings about this gofundme. No question this man has suffered an unimaginable tragedy. But is money really what he needs? Yes, the money is also going to help her, as it helps him, but I'm not even sure the legal fees will necessarily be that high. They most certainly could be. But it's also possible they might not be. Sure, money can make things easier in many ways for him, but there are lots of people for whom money would make things easier. I'm not sure he is the person most in need of funds at this moment. If people want to donate money, there are A LOT of people in great need of it, I would say more so than this guy. He has my sympathies, sure. I can't even imagine. But money isn't the cure.
I agree. I gave money to a gofundme last month where a family had a young child die suddenly. I thought that they really don't need money now since they have one less kid. Money for your troubles I guess.

Lots of people getting laid off lately. Would it be inappropriate if they started gofundme pages ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts