Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 08:26 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggrocrag View Post
Random Pixels and Loose Talk: The answer is 'no!'

Looks like the City of Miami Beach is going the "Fort Lauderdale Spring Break in the 80's" route so people decide to just stop coming.
Sounds great. One thing I do not like is public garages are staying normal with the 17th street garage at $15. The city of Miami charges $10-15 for Heat and Marlins games. Miami Beach should be putting a $40-$50 flat rate at ALL their garages and closing off ALL street parking. But the curfew sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFLrunner View Post
Aggrocrag, I hope your right. Throughout the year Miami plays host to numerous events. This is by far the most dangerous one of all.....shut this event down Miami!!
Miami Beach. But yes. I do not think anyone here has a problem with events. I was stuck in traffic for an hour because of Ultra. It sucks but I know its brings in lots of money and "fame" to our city. Memorial Day brings in bad "fame" and the amount of money it cost to police it probably out weighs any benefits. But as another poster has said this is different from Ultra or other events which the city or county helps give. For example Ultra is done on city/county parks. Miami wants ultra to happen. Miami Beach does not plan memorial day. Now at least they are planning to make it suck for the visitors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:16 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times
Yeah, you can't ban people from visiting Miami Beach. Not everyone is a criminal.

Old 04-17-2012, 11:46 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,426,558 times
Quote:
My prediction, and I hope I am wrong.......this will be another Urban Beach Weekend full of shootings and violence, I'm guessing worse than last year. The community will be up in arms and vow to stop the event from coming to Miami in 2013. Various meetings and promises will be made and a few months later everyone will forget about it......until Spring of 2013......Rinse & Repeat.........
Time sure does fly! There was a thread about the same thing on C-D a few months ago. I stated how nothing would be done, and voila!! Nothing has been done. People will complain and nothing will be done for years.

But I will bet that there will be the same exact things as years past. Arrests, rowdiness, tastelessness, and sadly someone may get shot or shot at. The best way is to: NOT GO THERE.. Enjoy!

Quote:
Hopefully the businesses in South Beach will shut their doors over Memorial Day Weekend.........other cities like Atlanta have gotten rid of these events because of the violence that they bring........
Please keep it in South Beach. I love my Atlanta as it is. Thank you.

The best thing would be for the business owners to shut down during the weekend and send a strong message, but they clearly want to make money. I think it's their main reason for existing and tolerating this nonsense. No one is stopping them from shutting down. They can have a silent boycott. Shut down restaurants, stores and other businesses. Let the night clubs and gas stations stay open and deal with the crowds. People will get the message. The hotels love the money as they should, so they'd have to deal with the nonsense. Let the police do the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Yeah, you can't ban people from visiting Miami Beach. Not everyone is a criminal.
Very true; not everyone is a criminal. But the Memorial weekend crowd is no cream of the crop either. Let's not sugarcoat things. Your intelligent/classy (black/Latino/white) crowd does not step foot there on that weekend. If they do, it's by accident. Lol.

Old 04-17-2012, 12:56 PM

313 posts, read 726,165 times
What I don't get is why people drive or fly down here and spend so much money for such a crappy event. They charge $100's of dollars just to enter a club. The ho's are everywhere walking around in thongs (and these ho's are not pretty) and the hood rats park anywhere and just stay hanging out at their cars all day long. They drink sooo much and start trouble right away.

Even though Ultra is pricey its controlled and people just walk around and socialize without getting in fights.

I guess that all depends on the type of high you are looking for (Ecstacy vs. alcohol).

Old 04-17-2012, 01:35 PM

I hope the show "South Beach Tow" is there that weekend to tow a few cars. I'd love to see it on TruTV when I get a chance. . Should be fun.

I'd love to see Bernice get it on with those girls when towing the cars.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:14 PM

106 posts, read 221,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I hope the show "South Beach Tow" is there that weekend to tow a few cars. I'd love to see it on TruTV when I get a chance. . Should be fun.

I'd love to see Bernice get it on with those girls when towing the cars.
"South Beach Tow" is fake, scripted, and poorly acted. Just like most shows on TruTV (in case you didn't already know )

And they are do something about it. I think the traffic loop thing will have an effect that will be more noticeable next year because it will deter people from coming back.

All residential streets will be closed to non-residents meaning that if they don't park their car, they won't have the opportunity to turn around and look for parking again. They will be looped right back onto the causeway leaving the beach. And have to wait in all that traffic again to get back to Sobe. It's going to be miserable.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:20 PM

106 posts, read 221,981 times
On a semi-related note. Gay Pridefest was on Sunday and South Beach was packed. As I walked through Ocean Dr. I did not see one incident involving a confrontation of any sorts. No bad vibes at all. Everyone was just there to have a good time.

As much as some people like to hate on the gays. You couldn't be any safer than you would be amongst a large group of gay people.

Old 04-17-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralsex View Post
"South Beach Tow" is fake, scripted, and poorly acted. Just like most shows on TruTV (in case you didn't already know )

And they are do something about it. I think the traffic loop thing will have an effect that will be more noticeable next year because it will deter people from coming back.

All residential streets will be closed to non-residents meaning that if they don't park their car, they won't have the opportunity to turn around and look for parking again. They will be looped right back onto the causeway leaving the beach. And have to wait in all that traffic again to get back to Sobe. It's going to be miserable.
I know it's fake (scripted, and yes poorly acted...Come on, J Lo produces the darn show..), doesn't mean it isn't funny!

Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,948,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
Miami/Miami Beach needs to do away with the event. It's an excuse for ghetto thuggery to run rampant. I don't remember one Memorial Day event where there wasn't a violent shootout or fights.
I agree the city needs to eradicate this event as it does not display anything memorial as it is a slap in the face to this holiday, if hip-hop is superseded by this day of remembrance, this country is in trouble.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:03 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,015,119 times
The cars are always amusing:

Memorial Day Weekend in Miami Beach - May 2011 - YouTube

Even though I dont like this guy and hate his videos this one sums it up pretty well.

Memorial Day 2011 Miami Beach - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami