Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 07:37 AM

796 posts, read 1,844,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina1686 View Post
This is awful, since Miami still in the United States and the official country language is ENGLISH Super unfair for the white Americans that are being discriminated in their own turf. The best thing to do is to leave this city and go to a place that has a higher cultural level without the Hispanic wave. Sometimes I feel ashamed of my own people and race. Most hispanics in Miami don't want to learn the language, they beg the government for welfare and don't even want to go to school to be more more productive citizens. Whatchout for hispanic businesses, they tend to pay very very very low as we were used to be paid in our countries. Hopefully, I'll leave this city where there are no opportunities whatsoever.
There is no official language in the US...

Old 03-22-2010, 09:25 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by giz2000 View Post
There is no official language in the US...
Florida does have an official language, its English. Article II section 9.
Statutes & Constitution :Constitution : Online Sunshine

Old 03-22-2010, 09:49 AM

796 posts, read 1,844,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
Florida does have an official language, its English. Article II section 9.
Statutes & Constitution :Constitution : Online Sunshine
She said "country."

Old 03-22-2010, 11:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
^^^I know she said country, but the last time I checked Miami was in Florida, which does a legal language.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:26 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
It is just an extra skill that some employers seek. If you don't speak Spanish, learn it. You would do the same if you were required to know excel, it is just another skill.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:30 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,700,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
^^^I know she said country, but the last time I checked Miami was in Florida, which does a legal language.
But FL is in the USA, and there is no official language in the nation. Like I stated before, it is just another skill and if it makes the applicant more markable, then good for him.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:38 PM

248 posts, read 616,390 times
Spanish is official in Miami-Dade.

Spanish
English
Creole

Miami reppealed the idiotic English-Only ORDINANCE way back.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,166 times
I just graduated and became a medical assistant. It has been hell to find a position as an MA that does'nt say biligual a must or spanish and english speaker and if they don't wnat that you need 2-5 years experience. I think its absurd that spanish is seen as a skill and almost everyone in Miami has to speak to get a job. I think about it this way, I did'nt get taught through school in spanish nor did I hear that America is a spanish speaking country. I am American I speak english and I don't believe this is fair. I believe is should be part of discrimination not looked at as a skill.

Old 03-26-2010, 04:14 PM

2,930 posts, read 7,064,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorib87 View Post
I just graduated and became a medical assistant. It has been hell to find a position as an MA that does'nt say biligual a must or spanish and english speaker and if they don't wnat that you need 2-5 years experience. I think its absurd that spanish is seen as a skill and almost everyone in Miami has to speak to get a job. I think about it this way, I did'nt get taught through school in spanish nor did I hear that America is a spanish speaking country. I am American I speak english and I don't believe this is fair. I believe is should be part of discrimination not looked at as a skill.
60% of the population is non US born and you will be working with patients who most likely don't speak English. Haitians have been learning Spanish for decades. This is NOT discrimination. It's logic.

You have the rest of the country to choose from or change careers where your Spanish is not required in Miami. You don't have to go very far, just go to Orlando or West Palm Beach.

The other day I heard a white non hispanic having a phone interview for a job in Miami. First thing they asked her was if she spoke Spanish. She said yes. Next thing you know they are testing her Spanish and carrying the phone interview in Spanish. Good she wasn't lying, she had an American accent but she could really carry a conversation.

But anyways I think your main issue is your lack of experience. It's hard to get an entry level job without experience. You should check with your school.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:13 PM

248 posts, read 616,390 times
I think its absurd that spanish is seen as a skill ....

-----

A language is a skill everywhere.
Spanish is a language...
Anyways, blame the employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami