Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I am waiting for a nice lawsuit to happen because of these ridiculous spanish requirements on any jobs. I have had about enough. THIS IS AN ENGLISH speaking country, like it or not!! I live in NY and they are doing the same thing here, requiring Spanish. I find it absolutely amazing that when my ancestors came to this country, NO ONE catered to them and they learned the language. I can remember my grandma telling me it was no longer allowed (to speak in their native language) once they were in the US(at her parents request) Why were the immigrants from years ago so willing to learn "OUR LANGUAGE " but the spanish feel they dont need to and we need to cater to them. I don't see other nationalities (chinese, japanese, indians etc) expecting to be catered to?

The next time I see a "spanish speaking" requirement, maybe I should get that law suit going because YOU are discriminating agains ME and others, PERIOD. DO not argue with me because I am absolutely 100 percent correct on this one.
Because it's BUSINESS, and money talks in many languages. I am a Chinese American living in the San Francisco Bay Area and we have a lot of commercial advertisements, businesses that target Asian communities in Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese, Tagalog (Filipino) as well as Hispanic communities - and it is natural and advantageous for businesses and services, whether of the same ethnicity or multinational corporations, to reach them in their native tongues, where they feel more comfortable with. Many of these people have learned English, but feel more comfortable speaking in their mother tongue, particularly when it comes to spending money. Hey, it's a free country.

So get off of your ethnocentric high horse and join the rest of the world. It's an advantage to learn more languages. I've been able to work in Asia because of my Chinese fluency. If it is a bona fide requirement on the job to be bilingual, if you are serving a distinct linguistic population, it would be hard to prove discrimination.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:14 PM

2 posts, read 3,940 times
Default no speakie englie ? ??

Its not only a language barrier people wake up! Its a cultural problem!! As jobs have become scarce employers ( most business owners in Miami are latino) (since we are on the bilingual problem ill address it as such) have also realized as desperate as people are they are willing to put up with a load of crap and abuse from there employers ( for sake we'll say they are latino) I have been told by my Latino amigos "everyone knows how abusive some of these employers are as if they were still employing people in their county, and treating their employees as second class citizens and they are not very nice" , these employers know that IF they hire an Anglo ( even if your completely bilingual ) you are CULTURALLY DIFFERENT Anglos are not going to put up with fair and unjust treatment!! unlike most of our passive counterparts ( other latino employees!!!! )Why would employers want to hire us?? if they know they cannot get away with the abuse , As american born non- Latinos we are taught to stand up for ourselves and for what is right!!!! Many employers dont want the resistance!!! I have been told this by my Ph.D. college educated born in Miami latin friends that this is what is culturally going on!!!! its not a general statement ITS THE TRUTH!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 03:05 PM

433 posts, read 953,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserable in miami View Post
Its not only a language barrier people wake up! Its a cultural problem!! As jobs have become scarce employers ( most business owners in Miami are latino) (since we are on the bilingual problem ill address it as such) have also realized as desperate as people are they are willing to put up with a load of crap and abuse from there employers ( for sake we'll say they are latino) I have been told by my Latino amigos "everyone knows how abusive some of these employers are as if they were still employing people in their county, and treating their employees as second class citizens and they are not very nice" , these employers know that IF they hire an Anglo ( even if your completely bilingual ) you are CULTURALLY DIFFERENT Anglos are not going to put up with fair and unjust treatment!! unlike most of our passive counterparts ( other latino employees!!!! )Why would employers want to hire us?? if they know they cannot get away with the abuse , As american born non- Latinos we are taught to stand up for ourselves and for what is right!!!! Many employers dont want the resistance!!! I have been told this by my Ph.D. college educated born in Miami latin friends that this is what is culturally going on!!!! its not a general statement ITS THE TRUTH!!!!!!
Ah?

What do you mean? That people of Hispanics origin are like sheeps. Your opinion and the references; PhD students, you have given show the incompetence of our university system in the real business world. . The only people I know that put with such crap are the illegal immigrants for obvious reasons; they tend to fall in these dark areas where the rule of law for good and for bad does not apply to them. (Labor Laws, Minimum Wage Law, Tax Laws, and Immigration Laws) you name it. Hey, and do not get mad, if I were a business owner I will try to do the same just because I have come to realize that I would have the support of the Federal government, the Justice Department and the media. Sorry pal, this isn’t personal, business is business.

Now, what it is really true is that born Americans demand better benefits and wages that their non-born American counterparts.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:05 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miserable in miami View Post
There is no cultural difference between "latinos" and "Americans".

Old 08-14-2010, 07:08 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,424,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINTERFRONT View Post
There is no cultural difference between "latinos" and "Americans".
PLEASE!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:42 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,200,080 times
Please?? wHAT is that you want?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami