Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
a thought occurred to me today
for anyone who is a screenwriter or author this place is a GOLD MINE for material more than any other place i can think of in the country.
you will find every cheezy stereotype in existance here. you will see and hear of weird stuff you can scarcely believe.
screenplay writers would be inspired beyond belief living a year or two here because everyday i hear something new that is so effed up so corrupt or screwed up that its hilarious.
you flip between outrage and laughter at the absurdity of it all. you have to or youd go crazy.
i imagine things like fight club or a tarantino movie could be assembled from anecdotes of daily life here in miami.

ive said it before, miami is NEVER boring but its not always interesting in a good way.
so true and the most valid statement ive seen on here

Old 05-05-2007, 07:13 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times
just like when most say Miami here...they're referring to South Florida whereas when you say LA it encompasses all of Southern California of which there are many nice places.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:43 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
LA has real industry, corporate america, investment banks, financial powerhouses, an educated populace, some of the best schools in the wolrd, and hollywood which is an entire mega industry/job market in itself. that region can support real estate prices in the millions, it has a backbone. miami/south florida has, umm, well really nothing considering how many people live here and move here. burger king and carnival have headquarters here for all u corporate job seekers, good luck.

Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 AM

158 posts, read 647,207 times
Have u been in doral, blue lagoon, brickel and downtown, theres plenty of corporate headquarters, second biggest cluster of international bank offices in the world, some of the best schools as well and i think its obvious theres people here that support real estate and Miami is also a big player in the music industry most big name producers are here and alot of movies and shows film here and Miami is basically the hispanics hollywood all the latin award shows, talk shows, telenovels, and diffrent shows are all filmed and produced here.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:00 AM

376 posts, read 1,866,935 times
Look it all comes down to income and lifestyle. If you have kids in schools, and make tons of money either location (LA or Mia) are great places to live. Miami is a very beautiful city, with blue clean skies, water everywhere. LA is a bigger city with heaps of amenities. The only thing is the smog which I heard is not as bad as it was back in the 80's. Middle class people, I think may struggle in both of these places (with kids) because the balance of finding a home with good schools. Single people, gays///etc////either place would be a blast!

Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,249,037 times
Once at a restaurant here in West Palm Beach and there was a massive roach in my food. It was disgusting but it makes for an interesting story to tell. Also the service is not really that good here. Hit or miss. Some is good, some is awful.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:04 PM

eek what restaurant in WPB?

Old 05-05-2007, 01:22 PM

LA is very important but I am not sure if you can compare it in terms of beauty like Miami. I guess it depends on how you perceive each city. Oh by the way, Miami is amazingly beautiful...especially for people from Europe and other places from around the world. They just love it. Yeah, it has it bad parts too but a lot of it is simply interesting and beautiful to people from all over. The water, islands, boats, beaches, cafes, colors, bridges, skyline, art deco, culture, food, people, nightlife, buzz, art and so much more. It is an amazing city that will only get better, I think.
LA, has beauty..topographical-wise LA has mountains, beaches and deserts...well it is sort of an oasis in a desert. Many visitors to LA find the place way too sprawled and ugly. I found parts of it to be amazingly beautiful like the Hollywood Hills, Santa Monica but all of LA does not look like that either. Once again there is good and bad in all world cities so maybe this comparison thing just should not exist/

Old 05-05-2007, 03:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Once at a restaurant here in West Palm Beach and there was a massive roach in my food. It was disgusting but it makes for an interesting story to tell. Also the service is not really that good here. Hit or miss. Some is good, some is awful.
We were at a restaurant near the Falls about two years ago, one of our favorite places. But after seeing a huge roach walk down from the ceiling and then across the dining room floor, lets say we haven't been back. And we went to dinner last Thursday night with friends in Plantation and a friend found hair in his bread (this was at a major restaurant chain). Not going back there.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:15 AM

106 posts, read 380,522 times
Default L.A. more ghetto than Miami. Oxy Moron or what.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dro420 View Post
Well, I'm a bit biased, but I'm a 100% confident I'd chose Miami over LA. I've been to LA, I have family in LA, and it's a nice place to visit, but it just seemed like everywhere I went, I was in the ghetto. I know you can say the same for Miami, and I'll be the first to tell you Miami is a huge ghetto, but I found LA to be a bit more trashy.
L.A. was more ghetto than Miami. Please. Give Me a Break. Your trying to compare the Tinsel Town to the Banana Republic and calling tinsel town more ghetto. What part of L.A. were you in or should I say what parts of L.A. did you miss being that the city is so large. You obviously werent in Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Bel Air, Los Feliz, Marina Del Rey, Porter Ranch, or so many more of the districts of Los Angeles that I could name. If you did the tourist thing you probably were in Hollywood and Hollywood is ghetto and extremely overrated just like South Beach. But let me remind you that Miami is just a spin off bad imitation of Los Angeles. People here are trying to floss on South Beach with the bling bling and the big cars and rims. Los Angeles invented that so Miami owes us at least 10 cents for the sorry effort. In Los Angeles, to have money, spend money and be fabulous is not only necessary its a part of the culture so there is absolutely no way in the world you can tell me that Los Angeles is more ghetto than Miami. Most people in Miami probably wouldnt last three days in L.A. after the 3.70 per gallon gas and 500,000 homes which by the way were built like 30 years ago. Keep in mind that L.A. is second only to New York and one of the largest cities in the world. Miami is nothing more than some of Latin Americas best and worst uprooting and stealing a piece of the American democracy that they couldnt find in their home countries because it doesnt exist. To put it lightly Miami is a city of foreingers eager to partake in the wealth liberty and democracy of American society without actually assimilating into the culture. By asimilating Im talking about learning to speak english, to drive correctly, and overall manners and U.S. customs. Because of that Miami will continue to suck and to add insult to the injury yes it will get a lil bit worse once I leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami