Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,683,240 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in his 20's from Ohio and although he'd say its VERY different here....I don't think he'd go to those extremes.

I wonder if you plugged into a good church down here. That can make a world of difference! PM me for suggestions

Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
Once you move here and find out that your career will never buy the life you expected, it angers you. Dealing with the nonsense of an area where people were trampling over each other to run to, and getting no rest from it, add to the discouragement. Finally you either become part of the corrupt system, or sell yourself to survive. The smart either leave or wait for the "down" periods to move in.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:32 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,135,910 times
I think most people who are not rich and come to Miami would share the original posters experience. It is truely accurate to categorize Miami as one of the rudest and most self-centered places on Earth. That just about sums up everything. When people here start mentioning that Miami is no worse than anywhere else, or that the people are rude is all big cities, that should be a warning...that they are immune to this obnoxious attitude and are most likely part of the problem (unknowingly as Cixel said).

If you are rich, have no desire to have human interaction with people, don't mind people being rude and agressive to you, enjoy overpaying for everything and have the ability to see all aspects of society's downfall in a positive light, then you will be happy here and will become one of the newest positive posters.

Old 05-12-2007, 12:12 PM

670 posts, read 1,743,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I think most people who are not rich and come to Miami would share the original posters experience. It is truely accurate to categorize Miami as one of the rudest and most self-centered places on Earth. That just about sums up everything. When people here start mentioning that Miami is no worse than anywhere else, or that the people are rude is all big cities, that should be a warning...that they are immune to this obnoxious attitude and are most likely part of the problem (unknowingly as Cixel said).

If you are rich, have no desire to have human interaction with people, don't mind people being rude and agressive to you, enjoy overpaying for everything and have the ability to see all aspects of society's downfall in a positive light, then you will be happy here and will become one of the newest positive posters.
Do you mean to say that the glass is NOT half full in Miami?
Nahhh!!!

Old 05-14-2007, 04:25 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
I'm 40. I'm white. Not rich. I've been here for 13 years.
I love it!!!
Different strokes for different folks!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM

158 posts, read 647,207 times
I am white, not rich, moved here a little more than a year ago, and love it as well.
My wife is from Ohio and she also likes it here. I know tons of people that move here from other parts of the country and like it, yea some poeple dont but you cant just tell people not to move here, most people like living in Miami.

Old 05-15-2007, 03:23 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
tallrick don't wish that,a major hurricane will not only screw up the area it hits but the rest of Florida as well.Insurance is already in crisis,we anywhere (Fl) get hit hard and it will be just a nightmare.Also,I went thru Andrew,it didn't "clean up" like you are refering,those that had money left while the pocket was filled by even more spanish.

I gotta keep saying this it seems,I grew up in Miami and I left because for one reason most of latin South and central America has fled there,its not just Cubans.Most Cubans I know there that has been here a while speak english and are "Americanized".I WAS HARDLY EVER TREATED RUDELY BY ANYONE THERE.

The fact is so many have fled to Miami in a short time span that they feel its business as usual like where they came from.

So again I ask,how is it so many can just get on a plane and come over here to live?Isn't there guidelines and restrictions on how many can immigrate to America?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:34 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
theyre mostly illegals clearly

Old 05-15-2007, 03:46 PM

16 posts, read 135,367 times
elfyum--
I guess it depends on how you define "not rich," doesn't it? I previously lived in a fairly stable suburban area, yet I saw several middle-class families struggling continuously just to scrape by; down here, however, non-wealthy people appear to have given up all hope of even reaching the aforementioned status.
Interesting how being in one geographical setting for so long--in my case, 18 years--can color your perception of every other place you'll ever see. Miami may have, as some have ridiculously suggested, been a paradise at one time (although, again, this vague word would beg definition) but now even a fool could not make such a claim.
Miami, by its very nature both culturally & geographically, is an extreme city; thus, many of its denizens are unaware that there is any other way to live. Being the rudest, loudest & most "Hispanic" just comes naturally. Let me remind you that what I have just stated is an empirical observation--not a judgemental knock. Based upon my limited interaction with the natives thus far (limited only because I spend most of my time working) I can honestly say that many Miamians simply don't know any better.
A speaker at our Presbyterian church recently said that to many Hispanics, Miami is still known as the "Hispanic capital of North America." He meant this in an entirely complimentary way, mind you; some in our congregation snickered in their pews--most calmly assented.
I'm wondering how the next several years will turn out, as this "experiment" of a white midwesterner develops. I'd like for Miami to get a clue as to what mainstream America still wistfully aspires to be. More than likely, though, this Hispanic "capital" will keep on keeping on; in the meantime, I'll meekly continue my American flag waving. It may be hard to see under the other rainbows of color.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:12 PM

14 posts, read 78,096 times
meh im white and i feel like i live in cuba i do have friends but my school all they do is speak Spanish its 80% reff
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami