Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 01:56 AM

30 posts, read 103,952 times

Advertisements

hi. I really want to join the French Foreign Legion because i hear that they are the toughest (about the same as U.S. Special forces) and because my great grandfather was in the FFL during ww2. My questions are (1) can i join with glasses? I have 20/320 vision but see fine with glasses (i dont want lasik) will this get me rejected. Also (2) how hard is the iq test? Is it timed? How high do i have to score to pass? And (3) how physically fit should i be before trying to join? I weigh 165, can run 2 miles in 15 minutes, can do 18 to 20 pullups, 50 situps in 2 minutes, and can do 65 pushups. Would this boost my chances? I would appreciate it if only legionaires or people who have facts on the recruiting process could answer. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 06:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Here is the French Foreign Legion recruiting page: French Foreign Legion - Recruiting

Rich

Old 06-18-2011, 06:40 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Good luck, brother. The only thing I know is what I saw on the reality show with Bear Grylis.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,349,032 times
a French Foreign Legion Forum : cervens.net

Forum board with a bunch of former and a few present FFL members on it (no, I'm not one: I stumbled on it and it's fascinating reading if you've ever been in a regular national Army).

Fair warning: if you go on there with a question similar to what you posted here, they will belittle you and not answer your question in the process. There is an endless supply of guys who 'want to join the Legion, what are my chances?' posting. Read the FAQs in detail there before you post questions.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:57 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
There is a book written by a FFL guy from the UK. Their reputation is greater than their actually ability. It is not really such a good place to go. Why not join the Marines?

Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM

Default which should i join? The IDF(Israel Defence Force) or the FFL(French Foreign Legion)

i want to join the group that sees more combat. I want to save lives and stop terrorists. Which has the better training? Also is the IDF infantry more trained, equal, or less trained than the USMC infantry? I wanted to go for the USMC initially, but was rejected cause i have no high school diploma. Is the IDF training similar to the USMC? Im thinking bout joining the idf mahal program and learning hebrew with a free army ulpan(hebrew class). Any advice i'd really appreciate. Thanks!

Old 06-30-2011, 08:37 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,198,193 times
If you have no high school diploma, you're better off going back and getting your GED than trying to join a foreign service whose language you don't even speak. If you DO somehow get in without a diploma or GED, there's a good chance that you'll be relegated to kitchen staff or something.. because a lot of militaries these days expect at least a full high school education.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 PM

330 posts, read 599,276 times
Get educated first, a learned soldier is a superior one. Then go back to the USA, it will be difficult for you to join either the IDF (especially not being an israel citizen) or the French legion

Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanJP View Post
If you have no high school diploma, you're better off going back and getting your GED than trying to join a foreign service whose language you don't even speak. If you DO somehow get in without a diploma or GED, there's a good chance that you'll be relegated to kitchen staff or something.. because a lot of militaries these days expect at least a full high school education.
Not the FFL, according to their requirements page:

FRENCH FOREIGN LEGION

Also, don't underestimate how quickly you learn a language once you are immersed in it. I knew fellas in boot camp that came in barely speaking a lick of English but came out fairly fluent.

Good luck, OP. I can't give you any comparisons other than stuff you can find yourself on the Internet.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:13 PM

i was educated. I was homeschooled and i have a g.e.d., but the Marine Corps' new policy is recruiting people with a diploma. The FFL dont require diplomas nor the IDF. I know i can pick up on languages easily cause i learned spanish at a mexican swap meet(outdoor marketplace) when i was 15. So Hebrew or French should'nt be a problem picking up if im surrounded by people who speak it. What i was wondering though is what's the difference between their training and which one i'd probably have a better chance at seeing combat in, cause i want first hand experience. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues