Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 12:39 PM

542 posts, read 448,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Not sure why it is a gross exaggeration.... I grew up there, and it was actually very common to see the snow start flying in October. My birthday is at he end of April and it was also very common to get snow still on my birthday. So let me count for a second.... Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March.... maybe April... so yeah 4-6 months and some of a 7th? Sound right? Oh and dont forget part off May some years.... Subzero temps mot of Jan and Feb and sometimes starting in late Dec. True...
Because it is not true in the Minneapolis metro. It is uncommon to have snow in October. It does happen but it certainly would not called common by a person who understands the definition of the word. Snow is not usually on the ground unless it one of those massive parking lot piles that is 3/4 dirt. There is no way you can honestly make this claim that it is common to have snow at the end of April. It does happen, but is uncommon. You must understand this. Just because you can find an example of it happening does not make an event common. The fact you can find an article about an event means it is considered unusual. I think your inability to handle cold weather makes you selectively remember the events that reinforce your belief about weather here in Minnesota.

Oh boy, sub zero temps. don't get me started...

Quote:
Not trying to argue, but in True MN fashion, y'all just jumped on the defensive train. I understand though, My mother still will call me in the dead of winter complaining about the never ending freeze, dark skies, painful windchill etc and the go on to say something like.... "but it isnt that bad."
I actually usually feel a bit embarrassed for the person when they provide false information to justify a short coming (not understanding how to stay comfortable in Minnesota weather even though they grew up here). I also feel annoyed they seem to present subjective impressions as fact when it is not. Winter is my second favorite season and there are others like me out there. I actually think Minneapolis has a wimpy winter and the residents of Winnipeg are shaking their heads at the winter whiners.

Quote:
and for those who deny it..... google May Snowfall in MN and youll get about a thousand articles but here are a few from the last couple
and for the fun of it google October 1991 blizzard in MN.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...0503_snow.html
Snow is surprisingly common in April & May because it's Minnesota - Story | KMSP
Historic blizzard slams into Minnesota; record snowfall possible - StarTribune.com
Gasp. I've actually experienced snow in early June once in the Fargo/Moorhead area. It melted 3 hours later but it did drop a load. So that means we have winter in June!!!! Of course not, that is ridiculous. SW Minnesota has experienced extreme rain this summer does that mean it is common for this to happen? Once again, the fact there are articles about an event is good indication that an event is unusual.

Some things to considers.

Snow does not equal winter.

If you post an article about a weather event or can find a link, it is probably an unusual event.

Something that happens every other year or 3 times in 10 is not common.

Are you confusing northern Minnesota with the Metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2018, 01:26 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,713,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Sure maybe its only off and on sub-zero temps for 45-60 days in the dead off winter, but the snow and gray skies can start in October and easily last through April and obviously into May last few years or more.
This is the part that is grossly exaggerated. The Twin Cities do not have “sub-zero temps for 45-60 days.” In fact, the average number of days in a winter where the temp drops below zero is more like 25 and the RECORD was 68 days in the winter of 1874-75.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...ero_13_14.html

It does not snow from October to April, though it occasionally snows in one or the other. The Twin Cities is not a particularly snowy climate as we only average 45 inches of total snowfall a winter.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/.../snowfall.html

Further, the skies are not always gray. You seem to have forgotten those cold clear days that are the true hallmark of our winter.

Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This is the part that is grossly exaggerated. The Twin Cities do not have “sub-zero temps for 45-60 days.” In fact, the average number of days in a winter where the temp drops below zero is more like 25 and the RECORD was 68 days in the winter of 1874-75.
https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/...ero_13_14.html

It does not snow from October to April, though it occasionally snows in one or the other. The Twin Cities is not a particularly snowy climate as we only average 45 inches of total snowfall a winter.

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/climate/.../snowfall.html

Further, the skies are not always gray. You seem to have forgotten those cold clear days that are the true hallmark of our winter.
Yea, the snowiest area in the Midwest is the western UP of Michigan along the Keweenaw Peninsula. The town of Houghton, where Michigan Tech University is located, recorded over 370'' of snowfall in the winter of 1978-79, although they average over 200'' of snowfall a season in the Lake Superior Snowbelt. The snowiest area of Wisconsin is the Iron Belt downwind from Lake Superior- the town of Hurley averages 160'' of snowfall a season in Iron County. I have spent a substantial amount of time in Vilas County just east of there where Woodruff and Eagle River are located. Those areas average around 100'' of snowfall a season, but aren't fully in the Snowbelt. Great reliable snowfall in those areas most of the time, unlike some years in the Twin Cities.

https://s.w-x.co/le-avg-mw-snow-mrcc.jpg

Old 07-07-2018, 01:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,115,233 times
Minnesotans are constantly patting themselves on their back. Why not just title the thread..."Why is Minneapolis better than the rest of the Midwest."

But to answer the question, location. Minneapolis wouldn't probably be as nice as it is or size wise if it were in Detroit's location or Milwaukee's or Rockford's location. Being the only show in town has it's advantages.

Old 07-07-2018, 02:01 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Minnesotans are constantly patting themselves on their back. Why not just title the thread..."Why is Minneapolis better than the rest of the Midwest."

But to answer the question, location. Minneapolis wouldn't probably be as nice as it is or size wise if it were in Detroit's location or Milwaukee's or Rockford's location. Being the only show in town has it's advantages.
The Twin Cities certainly have a strong pull factor geographically due to the fact that it is the one larger metro and draws people in from other metros, and a very large rural hinterland that includes large parts of Minnesota, the eastern Dakotas, southern Iowa, western Wisconsin, etc.

Last edited by GraniteStater; 08-02-2018 at 04:20 PM..

Old 07-07-2018, 04:42 PM

2,871 posts, read 1,150,103 times
The economy is strong now in MSP - evidenced by low unemployment and soaring home prices. I am counting the days until I return to that beautiful area.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:40 PM

75 posts, read 67,745 times
Snow in April is much more common than in October. I have a RV on a lake up north and can tell you that we have used it consistently into October for 10 years. We don't go up if there is snow. There were many years where I remember our first snowfall after Thanksgiving. April is much more hit and miss though.

Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM

6,556 posts, read 7,136,101 times
I was in Ely this past mid November for a night, there was over a foot of snow on ground and got down to about 5 degrees that night. Drove back to twin cities the next day, it was 65 and green grass here. I’ve never seen that before. Winter to kinda summer in less then 5 hrs. (Other then Mtn states)

Old 07-15-2018, 02:43 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,484,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

Q: Why is Minneapolis Growing Faster than Rest of Midwest?

A: Maybe... just to upset people in Milwaukee... ?

Old 07-15-2018, 06:29 PM

7 posts, read 11,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Q: Why is Minneapolis Growing Faster than Rest of Midwest?

A: Maybe... just to upset people in Milwaukee... ?
It does upset me. We have a great city, this big beautiful lake and Chicago close by but yous guys are kicking our butt in every quality of life measurement. We are (probably like many other younger Milwaukeeans) strongly considering moving to Minneapolis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul