Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul
 [Register]
Minneapolis - St. Paul Twin Cities
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2020, 11:48 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,379,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Actually, that is not the entire article. You missed the last half which I copied here:

The link so you can check for yourself.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/27/minnea...vate-security/

I am not particularly interested in your labels. Would you mind pointing out which specific words or sentences in the article are inaccurate and explaining exactly why?
Are you saying that you find this to be an honest assessment of what occurred?

“Security for me but not for thee.”

It’s a charged statement which bears no resemblance to reality. To the casual observer, sources like the New York Post have pushed the narrative that the city council has eliminated the police department altogether and there is nothing protecting us. This is not at all the case. You live here and can attest that the police haven’t gone away. Some city council members allegedly receive death threats and get security detail as a safety precaution and now the narrative is that they protect themselves while removing the police and thus leaving residents without any police protection. This could not be further from the truth. I would argue that a drastic change to the police department is being considered with the intent of better protecting residents as the police in their current form seem to have a nasty habit of killing unarmed people. Again, you are aware of this.

This news article reports this story in an exaggerated and sensationalistic way that paints an inaccurate picture of actual events. Frankly it is sad that you force me to explain this to you.

Last edited by Cruz Azul Guy; 06-30-2020 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2020, 11:55 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Are you saying that you find this to be an honest assessment of what occurred?

“ Security for me but not for thee.”
Can you explain how it is inaccurate? Are they providing private security for everyone in the city?

Old 06-30-2020, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Can you explain how it is inaccurate? Are they providing private security for everyone in the city?
Should they be?

Old 06-30-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Should they be?
We are discussing whether or not the article which you termed “yellow journalism” is accurate. You cited the lead sentence as inaccurate. The sentence doesn’t discuss whether or not the city should provide private security to all citizens. It only states that they are not. So please explain how that statement is inaccurate.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:32 PM

Quote:
We are discussing whether or not the article which you termed “yellow journalism” is accurate. You cited the lead sentence as inaccurate. The sentence doesn’t discuss whether or not the city should provide private security to all citizens. It only states that they are not. So please explain how that statement is inaccurate.
Nah, go split somebody else’s hairs. Also noted that you defend garbage tabloid news sources along with obviously racist posters.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Nah, go split somebody else’s hairs. Also noted that you defend garbage tabloid news sources along with obviously racist posters.
Same old pattern as always. You make an unfounded statement. I ask you to back it up. You can’t so you get nasty with a thinly veiled personal attack. What a crock.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Same old pattern as always. You make an unfounded statement. I ask you to back it up. You can’t so you get nasty with a thinly veiled personal attack. What a crock.
It was founded, you just can’t see the forest from the trees, or you can and you’re just messing with me, not sure which. This is your MO though. I’ve seen you do the same thing with others. You employ bullying tactics and it isn’t pleasant for anybody involved.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:51 PM

Quote:
It was founded, you just can’t see the forest from the trees, or you can and you’re just messing with me, not sure which. This is your MO though. I’ve seen you do the same thing with others. You employ bullying tactics and it isn’t pleasant for anybody involved.
It’s because you can’t answer the challenge. You never did substantiate the charge of inaccuracy. I can’t help it if you get frustrated and resort to name calling. That’s on you.

Old 06-30-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
It’s because you can’t answer the challenge. You never did substantiate the charge of inaccuracy. I can’t help it if you get frustrated and resort to name calling. That’s on you.
I explained in post #31.

Now please substantiate where I “name-called” or made a “personal attack.”

Old 06-30-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I explained in post #31.

Now please substantiate where I “name-called” or made a “personal attack.”
I missed that because I responded in post 32 at 12:55 pm and you edited your post to add the last section at 1:01 pm. but fair enough. I do not see where you cite any inaccuracy in their article. What you say is:

Quote:
.... It’s a charged statement which bears no resemblance to reality. To the casual observer, sources like the New York Post have pushed the narrative that the city council has eliminated the police department altogether and there is nothing protecting us. This is not at all the case....
No where in the article does it say, “...that the city council has eliminated the police department altogether and there is nothing protecting us.”

So the inaccuracy you cite does not exist.

And when quoting, please quote accurately. I accused you of “... a thinly veiled personal attack...” I am referring to post 35 you continue to refer to one poster here as a racist. That you continue to do so in exchanges with me, but lack the courage to call him a racist directly has greatly diminished the respect I once had for you. And at one time, I did respect you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Minnesota > Minneapolis - St. Paul