Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2010, 08:57 PM

243 posts, read 274,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
whats next the Confederate 'stars and bars' will be removed from the state flag?

I find that flag far more offensive than the name of a stupid football team form Redneck U.
I find liberals offensive, can we remove them from the country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 09:10 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,318 times
Quote:
whats next the Confederate 'stars and bars' will be removed from the state flag?

I find that flag far more offensive than the name of a stupid football team form Redneck U.
Their was a vote in 2002 (I think) to replace/remove the state flag. So, I believe the answer is maybe.

Old 10-22-2010, 09:33 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Their was a vote in 2002 (I think) to replace/remove the state flag. So, I believe the answer is maybe.
Actually the vote was in 2001, the 1894 flag (current) was retained, last I've seen that it's retaining also included parts of the black vote in MS.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 PM

783 posts, read 2,257,863 times
I find liberals offensive, can we remove them from the country?

Oh yeah, spoken like a real American...

I guess they don't teach the Constitution where you went to school.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:58 PM

73,008 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:

Well, Roy Barnes got voted out of office in the state of Georgia, partly due to that. Today, the state flag of Georgia looks far different than what it looked like before 2001. The Confederate flag was taken out.

Old 10-23-2010, 12:19 PM

77 posts, read 276,748 times
Quote:

Might want to revisit your history ignorant one. Those aren't the stars and bars in the Mississippi state flag

Old 10-23-2010, 02:45 PM

3,378 posts, read 5,009,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savage71chevelless View Post
Might want to revisit your history ignorant one. Those aren't the stars and bars in the Mississippi state flag
Actually elements of the Battle Flag and the CSA National flag are in the MS state flag.

The battle flag is the obvious one, but the three "bars"/stripes on the MS flag are reminicent of the Confederate First National.

Old 10-23-2010, 05:07 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,771,788 times
When I was a kid working retail, during my college years, I quickly learned that a Football crowd was a bunch of drunken losers, with no real money to spend. Huge time wasters, loitering, pretending to shop... The women were all dolled-up like hookers trying to work a business hotel, and the men were trying, I suppose, to look 'preppy'. Even to a dirt-poor kid like me, they looked threadbare and desperate. We dreaded having a 'game' in town, because we knew those people were messing up our sales.

And then I saw a 'game' on TV, and wondered what those stuffed animals, basically the same kind of thing poor people keep in the back windows of their cars....were dancing around on the field. How pathetic and tacky. They called them 'Mascots'. OH. Like they were all still in high school.

And then we moved to Jackson...for us, that was The Big City. And I discovered that there was a whole Ole Miss Crowd, who were reputed to think of themselves as superior (and somehow morally/ideologically/historically ascendant over) the rest of us. And when someone said that they saw the rest of us as barely human, I believed it. After all: for a century or so, if you wanted into one of the two big money professions, you had to go there. They were the only school around, for Medicine and Law.

They were the drinkers and the smokers, in an otherwise pretty wholesome town. They were the champions of 'Old Southern Culture', while the rest of us were trying to see how quickly we could move forward. They were building shrines to Colonial Williamsburg (their Holy Land), while the rest of us were looking to Tuscany, Provence, and Northern California. And they saw themselves as genteel intellectuals.

Frankly, the old mascot suited them to a tee. It really was a correct (and optimistic/aspirational) depiction of who they were, how they saw themselves, and how the rest of us saw them. Smug, anachronistic, aristocratic, privileged, exclusive, hedonistic, indolent, outdated, and irrelevant: that was what Colonel Reb was telling the world about 'Ole Miss'.

But maybe all that has actually changed. I'm told the school (where I've never set foot, because our kids refused to even consider going there) is now as desperately 'hip' as it once was 'genteel'.

But that Bear looks like the mascot for a public elementary school for the 'Special Children'. Mascots are tacky. But this goes beyond tacky, and into aesthetic territory usually reserved for Junior Colleges and publicly-funded daycare centers.

Too pathetic for words.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-23-2010 at 05:08 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-23-2010, 10:40 PM

77 posts, read 276,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
When I was a kid working retail, during my college years, I quickly learned that a Football crowd was a bunch of drunken losers, with no real money to spend. Huge time wasters, loitering, pretending to shop... The women were all dolled-up like hookers trying to work a business hotel, and the men were trying, I suppose, to look 'preppy'. Even to a dirt-poor kid like me, they looked threadbare and desperate. We dreaded having a 'game' in town, because we knew those people were messing up our sales.

And then I saw a 'game' on TV, and wondered what those stuffed animals, basically the same kind of thing poor people keep in the back windows of their cars....were dancing around on the field. How pathetic and tacky. They called them 'Mascots'. OH. Like they were all still in high school.

And then we moved to Jackson...for us, that was The Big City. And I discovered that there was a whole Ole Miss Crowd, who were reputed to think of themselves as superior (and somehow morally/ideologically/historically ascendant over) the rest of us. And when someone said that they saw the rest of us as barely human, I believed it. After all: for a century or so, if you wanted into one of the two big money professions, you had to go there. They were the only school around, for Medicine and Law.

They were the drinkers and the smokers, in an otherwise pretty wholesome town. They were the champions of 'Old Southern Culture', while the rest of us were trying to see how quickly we could move forward. They were building shrines to Colonial Williamsburg (their Holy Land), while the rest of us were looking to Tuscany, Provence, and Northern California. And they saw themselves as genteel intellectuals.

Frankly, the old mascot suited them to a tee. It really was a correct (and optimistic/aspirational) depiction of who they were, how they saw themselves, and how the rest of us saw them. Smug, anachronistic, aristocratic, privileged, exclusive, hedonistic, indolent, outdated, and irrelevant: that was what Colonel Reb was telling the world about 'Ole Miss'.

But maybe all that has actually changed. I'm told the school (where I've never set foot, because our kids refused to even consider going there) is now as desperately 'hip' as it once was 'genteel'.

But that Bear looks like the mascot for a public elementary school for the 'Special Children'. Mascots are tacky. But this goes beyond tacky, and into aesthetic territory usually reserved for Junior Colleges and publicly-funded daycare centers.

Too pathetic for words.
Harbor much hate for Ole Miss students do you? Love all your negative adjectives to lump the Ole Miss student and alumni base into
one giant cesspool. For someone that has never stepped foot on the campus, you sure are judgemental for an entire student base. Probably bitter because you grew up poor. Your entire post reeks of negative sterotypes that are simply not true. To use your words. Your post is too pathetic for words.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:55 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,890,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post

Too pathetic for words.
I feel dumber for having read that post. Honestly, your entire posts reeks of someone who didn't go to college and feels resentment for those who did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi