Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2010, 08:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,271,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
wellwater, you and supra say things that are rude, offensive, and at times discriminating (this is mostly from other threads that I've seen). supra calls everyone that disagrees with him a liberal or a leftist. Grow up! No one here has to defend their political views. This is a thread about the Ole Miss mascot not our political point of views.
I NEVER mentioned anyones political affliation until it was thrown in my face. All I ever stated was my disdain for all things PC in this country like this mascot controversy. Also why is pointing out a leftist a problem. I have NO problem with someone stating that I am conservative. Why do some of you have a hard time being called what you are? Is leftist or liberal now a bad word?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
While your people-reading abilities are amusing, they are flawed. It is unnecessary to give you the history of my voting history and my voter registry, but I assure you that I have never been and am not now a registered democrat. It would likely astonish you to know who I campaigned for in 2008.

Since you don't know how to debate without ad hominem abuse, your posts will go ignored by me (and I'm sure others). I have never been anything but polite to you and others. Learn to differentiate people and their ideas, and then we can debate.

Old 10-21-2010, 08:50 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb And This Is Why...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
I appreciate your honesty Captain but we both know based on the many postings that were made against Wellwater that they are Liberals. I mean how hard is it to figure out when some throws out Fox News or Glenn Beck. Calling a spade a spade is just that. I am conservative and make no bones about it. Someone can look at my opinions and gather that fact pretty quickly. I dont get upset when someone disagrees with my position but I DO get tired of the relentless nonsense put forward by many "liberals" on this forum. Calling them by what they are is not misleading!

I see you didnt mention anything to discredit what I said in my post. Do you disagree that many Liberals refuse to debate and are the first ones to start the name calling? Do you refuse to see the constant mentions of Fox News, Glenn Beck, Palin, Hannity or Rush against anyone with a consevative view point? What about the constant bashing of "tea baggers"?

In the end I can totally appreciate what your saying on all levels but put forth some of that objectivity to the MANY posters on here that are all too quick to denigrate anyone that believes or supports conservative positons. Pointing that out doesnt make me any less American or incapable of debate.
I enjoy our exchanges...I may not always agree with you, but I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge when I say something right, and I'll afford you the same courtesy...

Supra, I have absolutely no doubt that you're a conservative...what's more, I won't stoop to negatively labeling ALL conservatives, because you're not all a gaggle of evil grinches...and also, I'll admit to watching (gasp!) Olbermann and Maddow...simply because I believe folks like Beck and O'Reilly represent the EXTREME right portion of the conservative school of thought, and I get tired of the constant shouting, and conspiracy theories, and attackattackattack 24/7...at least when you and I 'butt heads' here, we're not surrounded by each other's talking head-attack dogs, and we can actually 'hear' what each other are saying...

And to that end, I believe that people are reacting not necessarily to your conservative views, because I would fight fiercely for your right to express them---they're moreso attacking FoxNews, Beck, O'Reilly et al, because of the 24/7 in your face shouting all the time...the same way you react by saying 'leftie' and 'liberal' when YOU don't agree with THEM...

And I think sometimes this left-right stuff is tiring too...for example, say you're my across the street neighbor (LOL---yeah I know, a black guy in your 'hood...oh no!) and somebody does a hit and run, and you're laying in the street, possibly bleeding and badly injured...do I NOT run over and help you because I know you're a conservative/GOP type? I would expect to be thrown in the joint and the book thrown at me, because I let a neighbor lay in the street because of his politics---are you kiddin' me?

I would hope you'd do the same for this old horse...I have seen this country, and families, and entire neighborhoods ripped asunder by politics, and I think it's crazy...but I digress...Supra, don't let your politics cloud your judgement, just becuase someone disagrees with you, doesn't and shouldn't always open them up to be labeled---no matter how loudly they disagree

Old 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
While your people-reading abilities are amusing, they are flawed. It is unnecessary to give you the history of my voting history and my voter registry, but I assure you that I have never been and am not now a registered democrat. It would likely astonish you to know who I campaigned for in 2008.

Since you don't know how to debate without ad hominem abuse, your posts will go ignored by me (and I'm sure others). I have never been anything but polite to you and others. Learn to differentiate people and their ideas, and then we can debate.
So calling someone a leftist or liberal is ad hominem abuse?? Very telling indeed. Funny that you never mentioned any of the obvious abuse that I and any other conservative leaning members take and the many examples that I have given yet claim to be anything but a Democrat. Again very telling. Go ahead and ignore me and I will return the favor ten fold.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I enjoy our exchanges...I may not always agree with you, but I appreciate the fact that you acknowledge when I say something right, and I'll afford you the same courtesy...

Supra, I have absolutely no doubt that you're a conservative...what's more, I won't stoop to negatively labeling ALL conservatives, because you're not all a gaggle of evil grinches...and also, I'll admit to watching (gasp!) Olbermann and Maddow...simply because I believe folks like Beck and O'Reilly represent the EXTREME right portion of the conservative school of thought, and I get tired of the constant shouting, and conspiracy theories, and attackattackattack 24/7...at least when you and I 'butt heads' here, we're not surrounded by each other's talking head-attack dogs, and we can actually 'hear' what each other are saying...

And to that end, I believe that people are reacting not necessarily to your conservative views, because I would fight fiercely for your right to express them---they're moreso attacking FoxNews, Beck, O'Reilly et al, because of the 24/7 in your face shouting all the time...the same way you react by saying 'leftie' and 'liberal' when YOU don't agree with THEM...

And I think sometimes this left-right stuff is tiring too...for example, say you're my across the street neighbor (LOL---yeah I know, a black guy in your 'hood...oh no!) and somebody does a hit and run, and you're laying in the street, possibly bleeding and badly injured...do I NOT run over and help you because I know you're a conservative/GOP type? I would expect to be thrown in the joint and the book thrown at me, because I let a neighbor lay in the street because of his politics---are you kiddin' me?

I would hope you'd do the same for this old horse...I have seen this country, and families, and entire neighborhoods ripped asunder by politics, and I think it's crazy...but I digress...Supra, don't let your politics cloud your judgement, just becuase someone disagrees with you, doesn't and shouldn't always open them up to be labeled---no matter how loudly they disagree
Excellent way to sum things up Captain, and just so you know I would welcome you to my neighborhood and I do have black neighbors. Kinda hard to live in the metro Atlanta region and not. I just prefer folks that share the same level of concern for the neighborhoods, schools and overall community regardless of their race or political affilation. Now if the area started to resemble San Fran in their political leanings or Southwest Atlanta in demographics I would have to go, dont want to be considered a hypocrite

Old 10-21-2010, 10:10 AM

783 posts, read 2,258,533 times
Hey calling someone a girl can be an ad hominem. So can calling someone a jew, or a mexican, or man. It all comes down to context, and that's something a couple of y'all like to dance around. It is THIS pattern of rhetoric that causes me to mention the likes of FOX news et al, because this is the (condescending, transparently offensive) style they use.

What's the matter? Is it now so offensive to tell someone to stop watching too much TV?

just so you know I would welcome you to my neighborhood and I do have black neighbors]

ROTFL. "Hey, some of my best friends are black..."

Way to go, Archie Bunker.

Your arguments are inexact and inflammatory. You talk of "theys" and "people always" yet refuse (even when directly challenged) to provide even the first specific example. This is abusive. If you want to be treated with respect, learn how to respect your audience.

That said, plonk.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poptones View Post
Hey calling someone a girl can be an ad hominem. So can calling someone a jew, or a mexican, or man. It all comes down to context, and that's something a couple of y'all like to dance around. It is THIS pattern of rhetoric that causes me to mention the likes of FOX news et al, because this is the (condescending, transparently offensive) style they use.

What's the matter? Is it now so offensive to tell someone to stop watching too much TV?

just so you know I would welcome you to my neighborhood and I do have black neighbors]

ROTFL. "Hey, some of my best friends are black..."

Way to go, Archie Bunker.

Your arguments are inexact and inflammatory. You talk of "theys" and "people always" yet refuse (even when directly challenged) to provide even the first specific example. This is abusive. If you want to be treated with respect, learn how to respect your audience.

That said, plonk.
You can challenge me all you want but all it took was for me to a read a couple of your post to see I would be beating a dead horse in trying to debate you. Take it for what you want but too many of you on here arent worth the effort.

Archie Bunker out!

Old 10-22-2010, 06:03 PM

18 posts, read 54,203 times
Default Good Riddance

I'm a grad of Ole Miss, born and raised in Mississippi, but left the state in 1989 due to a job transfer, and never looked back. I don't give a rat's ass about the PC aspects of the mascot change. In my opinion, the Old Man was NEVER a decent mascot for a school, much less an athletic program that had any desire to be competitive nationally.

What major college football team in its right mind would want to be represented by an old fart in a floppy hat with a cane? I mean, really.

Get over it, people. I know we have all that "tradition" crap to deal with, but for Pete's sake, at least a bear has a little more ferocity about it than a Colonel Sanders look-alike.

And a bear can whoop a bulldog's ass.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:14 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,805,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZannWalker View Post
And a bear can whoop a bulldog's ass.
I agree with everything, but this part. We'll find out next month!

Old 10-22-2010, 07:41 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,395,054 times
whats next the Confederate 'stars and bars' will be removed from the state flag?

I find that flag far more offensive than the name of a stupid football team form Redneck U.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi