Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 08:23 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,893,070 times

Advertisements

Thanks for backing me up with the stats. The eyeball test alone tells me that is true.

The underlying reasons, in my opinion, have less to do with low income/low education and more to do with the acceptance (maybe even desirability) of obesity in that demographic group.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2014, 04:18 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
I have been re-contacting my old high school classmates on Facebook. I have noticed that although most of them have left my hometown, many of them still live in Mississippi. Few have left the South. Many of them are middle or upper class. Apparently, they find the "worst state" quite to their liking.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:55 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Rule number one: never hate on someone elses hometown or home state. Everyone has a place that they love and is dear to them.

There are lots of people who love Mississippi and arent the stereotype the rest of the country has made it out to be. I have a friend from LA who moved to a nice Jackson suburb and loves it.

Old 10-15-2014, 07:03 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,312,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I have been re-contacting my old high school classmates on Facebook. I have noticed that although most of them have left my hometown, many of them still live in Mississippi. Few have left the South. Many of them are middle or upper class. Apparently, they find the "worst state" quite to their liking.
Birds of a feather

Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,939,765 times
Default A Yankee Defends Mississippi

This thread irritates me. What is the OP's point? Is it just to troll or he just hates Mississippi?

I know Mississippi because when I was growing up my father was a traveling salesman and Mississippi was part of his territory.

What I want to say about Mississippi is this:

1. Beautiful scenery and lovely countryside.

2. Some of the friendliest people in the country ... not only friendly but possessing politeness, courtesy and hospitality.

3. This state has it's own excellent regional cuisine ... you can get fantastic meals there.

4. The birth of The Blues. The Delta Region!

5. A rich history and heritage.

6. Making great strides to erase injustices of the past and moving forward in the realm of American Jurisprudence.

The problem of obesity, poverty, unemployment are tied together. Historically Mississippi developed as an agricultural state so it did not have the advantages of industrialization or the technological revolution. The issues that Mississippian must continually work on are education and poverty. I have faith that in the future these issues will be met head on.

PS is it any wonder that Morgan Freeman, who is from Mississippi chose to move back there?

Old 10-16-2014, 08:03 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,806,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
Birds of a feather

I don't think they are different from most folks in the world. Most folks choose to stay relatively close to home, be it ever so humble.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:43 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.2089 View Post
1. 11% unemployment (highest in nation)

2. 82% high school educated work force

3. 35% obesity (HIGHEST)

4. Median income $37K (lowest)

5. Life expectancy 75 yrs (lowest)

6. Backwards racist "christians"

7. 0 Job oppurtunities ( see 1.)

8. Ignorant unreasonable people (see 2.)

9. Extremely hot summers

10. BORING

I cannot stress enough how much I hate living here. While im thankful for a home and food I am not thankful for this horrid state. MS please overhaul every policy and just your general way of life. Thanks

I don't think the state is going to change just to accommodate your unhappiness. You know the answer.
You are probably not old enough to remember an old expression used many years ago.. "Pull a Hank Snow".

Old 10-16-2014, 11:35 AM

25,567 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I don't think the state is going to change just to accommodate your unhappiness. You know the answer.
You are probably not old enough to remember an old expression used many years ago.. "Pull a Hank Snow".

Hank Snow - I'm Moving On - 1967. - YouTube

Good stuff.

But Hank was a Canadian. Come to think of it, he was probably talking about leaving Canada.

Old 10-16-2014, 12:10 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
This thread irritates me. What is the OP's point? Is it just to troll or he just hates Mississippi?
I think "bitter" it the key word here. Look at some of his other threads, explains a lot.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:44 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
Obamacare had not fixed anything, had screwed most people over with higher rates and deductibles. Your solution was more government, which was main reason costs were high to begin with, states would force insurance to cover lot of unneccessary stuff and people were not allowed to buy insurance offered in other states are but two examples.

Obesity is only associated with diabetes, heart issues and sleEP apnea, none of which is really expensive to treat. Cancer and infectious diseases like AIDS and brain diseases like parkison are most expensive to treat. Obesity is no linked to most health conditions

Most overweight people are not obese. Obesity in America not as common as Democrat food nazi contend.

Nobody wants mMichelle obama's advice on nutrition. She needs to mind her own business and she is overweight.

Not surprised a Democrat voter sees nothing wrong with debt. Childish yet claim you are smarter.

Yeah, partisan Dem informs me what conservatives believe on obesity. I don't see consrvstives lecturIng people on what to eat, we are not busybodies. The biggest factor in healthcare costs is the government distorting market with one size fits all mandates. The other biggest factor is many democrat voters don't want to work and pay for their own insurance. Obama's economy also drives up costs because lot of people who want to work can't
Sorry, I can't rep you again!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi