Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 12:48 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
I doubt it, if the stats are that 1 out of 3 people is obese. I don't think most doctors are going to claim that 1 out of 3 people in one of the 50 states in obese. The stats given seem to be conflating obesity with being overweight.
Medical science differentiates between the two, so I doubt doctors would make that mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2014, 01:18 AM

123 posts, read 155,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
Medical science differentiates between the two, so I doubt doctors would make that mistake.
Those stats are bogus. 1 out of 3 people in MS or any state isn't obese by the real definition. The government does not have legit data on people's weight. The government would need to have accurate weight info for every resident of a state, and a clear definition of how they define obesity and demonstrate each of these people are obese, for me to believe their stats. When I hear talk about "polling" doctors and whatnot, we aren't talking about true stats and data.

True obesity is not simply result of poor decisions regarding food and exercise. There is a huge genetic component in that, it is really an affliction. My opininion is many Democrats have this kind of hate and disdain for obese people. I think Michelle O has that bad. She seems to be obessed with obesity.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:01 AM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Those stats are bogus. 1 out of 3 people in MS or any state isn't obese by the real definition.
They're not bogus, you just have a beef with medical science.

Quote:
The government does not have legit data on people's weight. The government would need to have accurate weight info for every resident of a state, and a clear definition of how they define obesity and demonstrate each of these people are obese, for me to believe their stats. When I hear talk about "polling" doctors and whatnot, we aren't talking about true stats and data.
Actually, the government has a lot of hard stats to back up the guesswork. When people die, this thing called a "death certificate" (by happy coincidence, this thing is a matter of public record) and a great deal of information about people's health can be gleaned from these death certificates. Actual, hard data.

Not only that, but there exist these people called "actuaries" who work in the insurance industry. Their job is to crunch numbers (hard stats provided to them by the insurance companies) in order to figure out how much to charge people for insurance. These numbers are provided to the Center for Disease Control.

So yeah, while the number might not be 100% accurate, it's pretty close.

Quote:
True obesity is not simply result of poor decisions regarding food and exercise. There is a huge genetic component in that, it is really an affliction. My opininion is many Democrats have this kind of hate and disdain for obese people. I think Michelle O has that bad. She seems to be obessed with obesity.
There are some people for whom, sadly, their weight problem is beyond their control, but those people are few in number. This reminds of the stand up comedian, who sarcastically remarked about how some people simply refused to believe Elvis (from Mississippi) was dead: "Yeah, how could a man who took such great care of his body be dead?" Indeed.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:17 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,894 times
The OP never did respond to my question regarding where he would like to live.

Nine pages of a useless thread, well I guess we took the bait.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:59 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
I think Mississippi was rated worse than Louisiana this year for education. That... takes effort.

Old 10-18-2014, 07:17 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Yes, MS has problems. There was a lot I didn't like, too. But I will say that I have never come across a kinder, more generous and friendly group of people. Were some of them chubby and had less education than I was used to? Yes, but for the most part they were awfully nice people. I'd take that over some slim, highly educated snob who treats others like trash because they don't meet certain standards.

And the wild wisteria in the springtime was like heaven on earth. Looking back, I wish I hadn't focused so much on the negative and appreciated the good. Probably good advice for anyone living anywhere.

Old 10-18-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
They're not bogus, you just have a beef with medical science.

Actually, the government has a lot of hard stats to back up the guesswork. When people die, this thing called a "death certificate" (by happy coincidence, this thing is a matter of public record) and a great deal of information about people's health can be gleaned from these death certificates. Actual, hard data.

Not only that, but there exist these people called "actuaries" who work in the insurance industry. Their job is to crunch numbers (hard stats provided to them by the insurance companies) in order to figure out how much to charge people for insurance. These numbers are provided to the Center for Disease Control.

So yeah, while the number might not be 100% accurate, it's pretty close.

There are some people for whom, sadly, their weight problem is beyond their control, but those people are few in number. This reminds of the stand up comedian, who sarcastically remarked about how some people simply refused to believe Elvis (from Mississippi) was dead: "Yeah, how could a man who took such great care of his body be dead?" Indeed.
Yeah I've got a problem with people who aren't medical scientists or physicians who act like they are. That is you in spades. Then you are one of these guys who act like the government is source authority on everything. which scares me real good. You just want to beat up on fat people and be all smug. I don't think people need lectures from people like you and Michelle O about losing weight though.

I know you beating up on obese people hasn't prevented obesity. Why don't you go get a medical degree and then people will actually pay you for medical advice, rahter than you having to give out all this great knowledge on the internet for free to strangers who didn't ask for it?

I don't see how other people's weight problem is your concern anyway. Just typical busybody stuff, got your nose in other people's business. I don't think fat people in MS making it a horrible place to live for perfectly fit and perfect in general people like you, you Adonis you.

Why don't you go tell obese people to their face that they are obese and need to stop stuffing their face with food all the time? To me it is kind of cowardly to take to the internet and lecture people who most likely are not even obese about what a bunch of losers obese people are. This is obviously important to you so you need to talk to your target audience directly. Let them know you are an obesity expert...you are a Democrat and voted for Obama. lol

Obama can't even figure out that banning flights from countries with a lot of people dying from Ebola might be a good idea but he and his followers have a good handle on obesity and going to save us from it.

Last edited by Back In Orange; 10-18-2014 at 09:14 AM..

Old 10-18-2014, 10:09 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
most southerners (the cool ones) don't say "bless your heart" in a sarcastic way like that. You can toss your Southerners for Dummies handbook because none of those cliches about southerners are true. We are individuals, not some speciies at the zoo with similar behavorioal patterns.

Doctors are not sending info to the government. Yes, my weight info is personal info even if my name is not attached. I want to know if my physicians are doing that. I see no reason why the government needs to have that info. If i am obese, is government going to solve that problem? Burn some calfories for me? BLock me from eating junk food? no, so no reason government needs that kind of private info on people.

People mindlessly running down MS isn't going to make it a more attractive place for businesses to locate. So if you really care about the lack of jobs and poverty, then maybe start saying positive things about MS.

Gee, getting just a little defensive eh? I didn't mean to be offensive but at the same time you have to realize that non-Southerners use that term too. And that's how we use it around my neck of the woods - mockingly. If that's ok with you.

Yes, doctors are NOT required to send info to the government but the point is, under HIPA, they can still publish info in a general way - by grouping them as in "10% of my patients are obese" or hide the patients' identity when citing specific cases, "A patient of mine was obese and we successfully treated it by prescribing exercise and diet..." That doesn't mean that every doctors are reporting their office stats, but they can if they want to, as long as the identity is protected. Now do you get it?

One thing I notice about conservatives (most of them anyway) - they talk about leadership all the time, but they never seem to believe it can accomplish anything. Government is trying to set an example about healthy living. Will every fat obese people listen? Probably not. But perhaps with the message coming from the top and repeated over and over, enough people will listen that it makes a difference. It's called setting a good example, and it's a part of being a leader.

Old 10-18-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Gee, getting just a little defensive eh? I didn't mean to be offensive but at the same time you have to realize that non-Southerners use that term too. And that's how we use it around my neck of the woods - mockingly. If that's ok with you.

Yes, doctors are NOT required to send info to the government but the point is, under HIPA, they can still publish info in a general way - by grouping them as in "10% of my patients are obese" or hide the patients' identity when citing specific cases, "A patient of mine was obese and we successfully treated it by prescribing exercise and diet..." That doesn't mean that every doctors are reporting their office stats, but they can if they want to, as long as the identity is protected. Now do you get it?

One thing I notice about conservatives (most of them anyway) - they talk about leadership all the time, but they never seem to believe it can accomplish anything. Government is trying to set an example about healthy living. Will every fat obese people listen? Probably not. But perhaps with the message coming from the top and repeated over and over, enough people will listen that it makes a difference. It's called setting a good example, and it's a part of being a leader.

Yeah, the Obamas have set good examples the past 6 years. Staggering debt and deficit. Just spend money you don't have. Leadership. I think governmnet is supposed to be focused on the economy and managing the people's money in a responsible way. Not playing Dr. Phil on people.

Michelle Obama wasn't elected to anything and she's not setting an example. She is in fact overweight. You can Google pictures of her. She is obviously overweight. That isn't a body type most women want.

It is pretty depressing if she never eats junk food and she is always working out if she is still has a body like that. The reality is she is eating junk food and she's just as lazy as anybody that she is lecturing. She isn't practicing what she preaches.

Again, obesity isn't the governmnet's concern. It is a private matter b/t people and their physicians that they pay to consult about their health. Politicians are not health professionals, and they shouldn't pretend they are.

I lived in south all my life, never heard anybody say "bless your heart" in a smug sarcastic kind of way. Most of the time when I hear people say we do this, it is people up north who appear to be reading from a handbook about southerners, as though southerners are programmed to say the same little Southernisms. It isn't defensive to say true things based on my own experience in the south. I'll let you get back to make jokes about retardation and fat shaming. Amazingly, liberals accuse conservatives of being too judgmental. I see a lot of judging on this thread and it isn't conservatives doing it. The arrogance is off the charters on here, like personality disorder type narcissism. God complex. lol

Old 10-18-2014, 11:10 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
One thing I notice about conservatives (most of them anyway) - they talk about leadership all the time, but they never seem to believe it can accomplish anything. Government is trying to set an example about healthy living. Will every fat obese people listen? Probably not. But perhaps with the message coming from the top and repeated over and over, enough people will listen that it makes a difference. It's called setting a good example, and it's a part of being a leader.....
That's not accurate. Conservatives challenge the notion that government can solve problems, and the facts back it up. When the government gets involved, things will get worse. Conservatives DO NOT believe that "leadership cannot solve problems".

I personally believe that setting an example is incredibly important. But government so often attempts to legislate "good examples", and what they perceive as good ideas. I'm thinking about the ban on oversize soft drinks, ban on salt, and various mandates established by EPA, DOT and other federal entities.

The same people who elected a President who smokes and has used hard drugs in the past, now wish to lecture the rest of us about setting an example, and point to their leader as the paradigm of positive life style choices. That's pretty funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi