Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2013, 05:22 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
I think he's being sarcastic yall.
Probably, although I was just kidding myself...

There are NO traces of the South in New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 05:25 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,098,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
I agree with you, but I didn't know that people in St. Louis used the expression "y'all". Or maybe that's the influence of spending half your week in Jefferson City..
No, it's me mocking imbored...obviously that never occured to you. Look back at all my posts and see when I've ever said it. Unlike in my speech, I have a lot more control on whether I say "y'all" or "you all." I say "you all" in real life. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions like that.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbored198824 View Post
You are so funny . I think you are terrified of the Southern influence of the state. You even said central Missouri has a LARGE southern influence. You keep saying one thing, then will retract what you said because it works in my favor. It is really entertaining to watch you get all worked up when fellow Missourians claim our state for the south! You try to discredit a large portion of the state. You say "oh maybe Missouri is 40% southern at the most". HAHAHA 40% is a very large amount. You make me laugh!
You make me laugh harder with your ridiculous 30% Southern argument, yet you try and make the whole state seem at least 50% southern. Inconsistent? Look in the mirror! HAHAHA 40% is a lot less than 50%! So unless it's 50%, it's still not Southern! ROFL you can't do math! I only get worked up when fellow Missourians like yourself attempt to claim the whole state as Southern, or most of it. Yes, I said that Central Missouri has a large Southern influence, however, it is still majority Midwestern. I changed my tune on Central Missouri because I've been out here for half a year for my job and know it much better than I used to. I'm only giving it an honest assessment based on what I know. I'm not saying one thing and retracting. I've remained consistent throughout all of my posts save a few typos...that no Missourians are southern WAS a typo, and if you look at all my posts, you'd see me crediting Missouri as an overall Midwestern state with Southern influences, factoring in the minority that is Southern. You, on the other hand, are a laughing excuse for consistency...you retreat to admitting the Southern influence is only 33%, yet try to extend the transition zone as far as you can to minimize the Midwestern characteristics. Stay in Branson and in the South please...I'm sick of "yall" trying to act like your part of Missouri speaks for the whole state....I am not saying St. Louis speaks for the whole state, although you'll try and pin that on me knowing you. But St. Louis and Kansas City, together holding 55% of the state's population, put together a lot more in terms of speaking for the state than Southern Missouri does. Far southern Missouri speaks for only one part of Missouri...far Southern Missouri. Go ahead, laugh it up...it's hilarious that you're wrong.

Old 05-28-2013, 05:36 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
No, it's me mocking imbored...obviously that never occured to you. Look back at all my posts and see when I've ever said it. Unlike in my speech, I have a lot more control on whether I say "y'all" or "you all." I say "you all" in real life. You really shouldn't jump to conclusions like that.
I was making a light-hearted comment. Maybe you should develop a sense of humor...

Old 05-28-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I was making a light-hearted comment. Maybe you should develop a sense of humor...
When people type their thoughts out, it's hard to tell what anyone's saying. Tip...use smilies. That would be a lot more effective.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:16 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
Quote:
This gentleman has no southern hospitality, that is his problem. In southern Missouri we treat everyone with respect and are kind to one another. I hope he doesn't move down here!!!!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM

620 posts, read 1,233,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLviaMSP View Post
Add up the micropolitan statistical areas for Branson, Cape, Springfield, and Joplin, and you're still only a little north of 750k. To even count as 1/6 of the state's population, you need another 250k people in the southern parts of the state, which seems like a stretch given how desolate and/or state parkified much of it is. The state's pop is a little over 6M. Of which over half live in metro KC (MO side), Columbia, and STL (MO side).
actually the lower 1/4 of Missouri would equal roughly 1.4 MILLION people(maybe more if anything I was too strict). Divide that by 6 million and you have more like 1/5 of the state population. This is the completely southern areas, then you have another LARGE transition area that covers an even larger part of Missouri...where some people say they are southern and others say they are midwestern. So your 1/10 of the state population argument is not valid, thank you for playing.

Last edited by imbored198824; 05-28-2013 at 08:39 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
This gentleman has no southern hospitality, that is his problem. In southern Missouri we treat everyone with respect and are kind to one another. I hope he doesn't move down here!!!!
Southern hospitality! LOL...you have none of it. I wouldn't call making provocative comments and toying with people Southern hospitality. And I have nothing against the South. I have a problem with people toying with its definition. The vast majority of posters on here agree that the South is confined roughly to the southern quarter of the state. And if it requires me to I will move down there....I have family that is descended from Southwest Missouri and Northeast Oklahoma. I hope you get out of there before I get there...Y'all is annoying! I'm done fixin' to pray that y'all leave.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
actually the lower 1/4 of Missouri would equal roughly 1.4 MILLION people(maybe more if anything I was too strict). Divide that by 6 million and you have more like 1/5 of the state population. This is the completely southern areas, then you have another LARGE transition area that covers an even larger part of Missouri...where some people say they are southern and others say they are midwestern. So your 1/10 of the state population argument is not valid, thank you for playing.
Your argument still is not enough to make Missouri not an overall Midwestern state. 1/5 of the state's population is significant, but not significant enough to call the state's identity into question. If the transition zone covers 2/5, and the Midwestern areas cover 3/5, it still means the state is majority Midwestern. And the KC and STL combined with St. Joseph, Columbia, and Jefferson City have roughly 4-5 t times the population of Southern Missouri. Y'all done messed that one up down there in Branson. I'll give you this. Branson is known for its entertainment. And you're honoring that tradition here...it's just too bad it's not painting you in a very favorable light

Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 PM

260 posts, read 587,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Southern hospitality! LOL...you have none of it. I wouldn't call making provocative comments and toying with people Southern hospitality. And I have nothing against the South. I have a problem with people toying with its definition. The vast majority of posters on here agree that the South is confined roughly to the southern quarter of the state. And if it requires me to I will move down there....I have family that is descended from Southwest Missouri and Northeast Oklahoma. I hope you get out of there before I get there...Y'all is annoying! I'm done fixin' to pray that y'all leave.
I thought you were living in Stoddard county now in the Dexter area? Stoddard county is in the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri