Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 05:50 PM

694 posts, read 1,357,200 times

Advertisements

Falling in that mostly silent group that votes this thread, which has now officially lasted longer than it took to fight the entire American Civil War, should go away, I can't resist the temptation to post another 'official' work, to help stir the pot a little more.

In my opinion, of the numerous different angles one can use to 'prove' their point (I am waiting for the Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs John Deere vs etc poll), the topic of dialect is about as solid as any.

Then again, using the pop vs soda poll is about as smart as the college kid who originally published it, who concluded at the end of his 'official' study "those who say pop are cooler" (not kidding - look up his study online).

For those who are really interested in this topic, this study and map might prove interesting.

American English Dialects

Then again, I have lived in SW Missouri all my life and use the term 'pop' so obviously I am a Yankee spy in Rebel territory.

For those who really don't care about this topic and accidentally stumbled across this thread looking for cute puppies, you were not forgotten .....

YouTube - ‪cute puppy whistle‬‏

Old 07-08-2011, 05:59 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW Missouri Dave View Post
Falling in that mostly silent group that votes this thread, which has now officially lasted longer than it took to fight the entire American Civil War, should go away, I can't resist the temptation to post another 'official' work, to help stir the pot a little more.

In my opinion, of the numerous different angles one can use to 'prove' their point (I am waiting for the Ford vs Chevy vs Toyota vs John Deere vs etc poll), the topic of dialect is about as solid as any.

Then again, using the pop vs soda poll is about as smart as the college kid who originally published it, who concluded at the end of his 'official' study "those who say pop are cooler" (not kidding - look up his study online).

For those who are really interested in this topic, this study and map might prove interesting.

American English Dialects

Then again, I have lived in SW Missouri all my life and use the term 'pop' so obviously I am a Yankee spy in Rebel territory.

For those who really don't care about this topic and accidentally stumbled across this thread looking for cute puppies, you were not forgotten .....

YouTube - ‪cute puppy whistle‬‏

As usual, everything you have said is spot on.
I personally find the subject of dialects endlessly fascinating, but then, I'm geeky that way, the whole soda/pop thing is just too ridiculous for words, lol.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:38 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,032,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.A.P View Post
I will agree with you about them being more southern than us, but I will not agree with you on saying we or at least some portion of Missouri is not southern. Missouri was admitted as a slave state above the 36 30 line, and Missouri fought hard for other state like Kansas to allow slaves. Also I bet that atleast 70 percent of Missourians know what grits are. Anyway during the civil war my county grew 750,000 pounds of tobacco a year. Also there is a cave outside my local town know as the KKK cave, and it supposedly held their seceret meetings in the 1800s. Also the people I met in Gulf Shores were not morons, and they all agreed that Missouri was southern. As people were walking in the hotel they were asking them where they were from, and one person said Ohio and they said wow y'all are yankees. I then asked them if they thought I was a yankee and they said hell no, and then I said what about Missouri and once again they said no. Like I said before I fit in better with the people from Alabama than Indiana. In fact we had a new girl come to our school from Indiana and she said we talked weird, and I said how, and she said you all sound southern. Also we grow cotton, we have kudzu, we eat fried okra, we drink sweet tea, we have get togethers down at the river, and we deep fry all the catfish that we can catch. Also Missouri tried to sucede from the union in 1861 but we were stopped by yankee forces occupying St. louis. We are on the Confederate flag, and we're apart of the LOS. I'm sure that some Missourians consider themselves southern.
and yet.... not a SINGLE boiled peanut to be found ANYWHERE in my travels through the bootheel......

Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
If that was done in the city limits of stl there would be great praise over it.
really?? great praise for theft and destruction of property??

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
No one that I know calls it pop unless they're mocking people from up north. But most do not say coke either.
fwiw.... i am a native texan and we always called it coke......

Old 07-09-2011, 06:10 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,687,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
fwiw.... i am a native texan and we always called it coke......
I don't doubt that a bit. My point was discussing native Missourians, however.

Old 07-09-2011, 06:20 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
All the locals I know in KC definitely say pop. Not something I was used to hearing in st. Louis

Old 07-09-2011, 06:45 PM

543 posts, read 855,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
All the locals I know in KC definitely say pop. Not something I was used to hearing in st. Louis
Nope, never heard it called "pop" in stl.

However it seems KC doesn't have as many native people as Stl. What I mean is people born and raised there. KC seems to have people from all over aka transplants vs St. Louis who has more native born people in the region.

St. Louis is a older city than KC.

In 1860 just 4,400 people lived in KC.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:07 PM

26,422 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onegoalstl View Post
Nope, never heard it called "pop" in stl.

However it seems KC doesn't have as many native people as Stl. What I mean is people born and raised there. KC seems to have people from all over aka transplants vs St. Louis who has more native born people in the region.

St. Louis is a older city than KC.

In 1860 just 4,400 people lived in KC.
Uh, KC might have more transplants than STL but far less compared to many other metros in the US. Plenty of KC natives that have not lived in any other locale. My extended family being a prime example.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:17 PM

543 posts, read 855,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Uh, KC might have more transplants than STL but far less compared to many other metros in the US. Plenty of KC natives that have not lived in any other locale. My extended family being a prime example.
I was saying thats why some might call it different names there.

Harry Truman's ancestors were from the area. They owned a plantation and slaves. Most of the original people from the KC area were southerns.

Maybe why KC seems slightly more southern than stl. Especially south of there.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
Ok, let's try this one. Where does McDonalds "McChicken" become the "hot n spicy McChicken"? I have noticed that you can order this in Minnesota and get a completely different sandwich than in Southern Missouri. I jest, of course, but could this be the real difference between North and South?

Old 07-09-2011, 11:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
Ok, let's try this one. Where does McDonalds "McChicken" become the "hot n spicy McChicken"? I have noticed that you can order this in Minnesota and get a completely different sandwich than in Southern Missouri. I jest, of course, but could this be the real difference between North and South?
Hmmmm....I live in the South, and you cant get a hot and spicy here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri