Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2023, 02:37 PM

27 posts, read 18,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU HSV View Post
For some perspective and reference, this has been a vision with goals for a long time, constantly evolving and it’s city wide. Reality is it takes a long time to implement plans.
https://bigpicturehuntsville.com/
Thanks for sharing this! This is what Mobile needs, a Master Plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2023, 02:50 PM

866 posts, read 592,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobAL251 View Post
Thanks for sharing this! This is what Mobile needs, a Master Plan.

There is a masterplan....

https://mapformobile.org/

Old 07-01-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Map for Mobile doesn't cut it. I'm looking for something more alone the lines of what a New Plan for Mobile consisted of. Does the Map of Mobile show the city's vision for the mall area? Map for Mobile is more of a guide not a vision.

Money wasn't the issue for New Orleans after Katrina, it was the city government's failure to act. They had no disaster plan. Typically the federal government is there to approve funds after natural disasters, which was the same case for Katrina. I'm saying the city has money to leverage public/private partnerships.

Obviously you haven't been to Birmingham or Huntsville to see their investments in infrastructure. They're moving at a faster pace.

I love Mobile & I think the Mayor has made strides, but you can't deny we're still lagging behind Birmingham, Huntsville, and Tuscaloosa when it comes to improving the quality of life. We can do better.

I have lol I lived in Tuscaloosa just a year ago and visited Birmingham a lot, neither are doing nearly as well as Mobile is. Tuscaloosa sure as hell isn't improving the quality of life like you are saying, all Tuscaloosa is trying to fight off the University ever chance they get. Birmingham is making strides but Mobile is still ahead by a country mile. Huntsville has been fortunate enough to receive billions in fed money to fuel their economy

Birmingham and Huntsville can't come close to the amount of infrastructure investments that Mobile is undertaken with their CIP program. Mobile has invested $300 million in its infrastructure in just the past 3 years JUST from the CIP program, I'm willing to bet neither Birmingham nor Huntsville is currently doing that

Old 07-01-2023, 06:38 PM

27 posts, read 18,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
I have lol I lived in Tuscaloosa just a year ago and visited Birmingham a lot, neither are doing nearly as well as Mobile is. Tuscaloosa sure as hell isn't improving the quality of life like you are saying, all Tuscaloosa is trying to fight off the University ever chance they get. Birmingham is making strides but Mobile is still ahead by a country mile. Huntsville has been fortunate enough to receive billions in fed money to fuel their economy

Birmingham and Huntsville can't come close to the amount of infrastructure investments that Mobile is undertaken with their CIP program. Mobile has invested $300 million in its infrastructure in just the past 3 years JUST from the CIP program, I'm willing to bet neither Birmingham nor Huntsville is currently doing that
As I already stated, the Map for Mobile doesn't cut it. It didn't cut it when I read it when it came out, I mean it's a good capital improvement campaign. If you can't see the difference between the Map of Mobile and a New Plan for Mobile or the Springhill Master Plan or even the Huntsville plan then there is no need to further the conversation. Also, that $300 million includes federal Covid funds, remember Birmingham received more money than Mobile.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:58 AM

Quote:
As I already stated, the Map for Mobile doesn't cut it. It didn't cut it when I read it when it came out, I mean it's a good capital improvement campaign. If you can't see the difference between the Map of Mobile and a New Plan for Mobile or the Springhill Master Plan or even the Huntsville plan then there is no need to further the conversation. Also, that $300 million includes federal Covid funds, remember Birmingham received more money than Mobile.
Agree to disagree then

Old 07-02-2023, 08:30 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,863,927 times
This is good timing, I guess, considering the above "disagreement"...

The city will be voting in the next two weeks to extend and amend the TIF for the downtown area and includes funding for several projects desired, including:

- Jeff Speck street optimization
- Waterfront park amenities/Heroes Park
- St. Louis Street rehab/remodel
- Isom Clemon Park
- Civic Center Arena

https://cityofmobile.novusagenda.com...5&ItemID=17368

Old 07-02-2023, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
This is good timing, I guess, considering the above "disagreement"...

The city will be voting in the next two weeks to extend and amend the TIF for the downtown area and includes funding for several projects desired, including:

- Jeff Speck street optimization
- Waterfront park amenities/Heroes Park
- St. Louis Street rehab/remodel
- Isom Clemon Park
- Civic Center Arena

https://cityofmobile.novusagenda.com...5&ItemID=17368
Damn, did not expect the Jeff Speck street optimization to be sooo expensive. Overall a pretty good round of projects coming up

Old 07-03-2023, 12:09 PM

Looks like we find out in a month if Mobile is chosen to disassemble to Aircraft Carrier USS Enterprise. If we get it, it likely means hundreds of new jobs for the city

https://www.lagniappemobile.com/news...Gf_zdlEutIBdhg

Old 07-03-2023, 02:39 PM

5,002 posts, read 9,169,142 times
I understand both perspectives. On one hand I wish the regional headquarters was built at another location downtown with more height. But on the other hand sense the city hasn't been pushing as hard as it should be to bring a Cordish type of development, building the head quarters in that location Is better than nothing.

I really wish the city would try hard to relocate the metro and all of those bail bonds shops away from their current locations.

Old 07-03-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I understand both perspectives. On one hand I wish the regional headquarters was built at another location downtown with more height. But on the other hand sense the city hasn't been pushing as hard as it should be to bring a Cordish type of development, building the head quarters in that location Is better than nothing.

I really wish the city would try hard to relocate the metro and all of those bail bonds shops away from their current locations.

I agree, that's definitely the biggest issue I see with the Southeast Corner of Downtown; doesn't matter how nice you make it, if people find out they're just a few hundred feet away from jail, they're not gonna show up as much. Unfortunately I'm not sure the city has much power to get the jail to move
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area