Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2022, 07:20 PM

496 posts, read 472,785 times

Advertisements

Disappointing. Not a good trend...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 07:55 PM

899 posts, read 623,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Disappointing. Not a good trend...
Yea Mobile needs to continue making a lot changes. Really need to annex land, especially lands that are being developed to offset the losses in inner city mobile

I also think the City should find a way to incentivize home production in inner city. Whether the city helps produce homes through grants (didn’t the state receive $321 million in block grants from Sally and Zeta that we could potentially use). Your not gonna see many homes built in inner city mobile until builders can make a bigger profit doing so than building subdivisions in West Mobile

Old 03-25-2022, 06:38 AM

5,016 posts, read 9,245,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandWave View Post
Yea Mobile needs to continue making a lot changes. Really need to annex land, especially lands that are being developed to offset the losses in inner city mobile

I also think the City should find a way to incentivize home production in inner city. Whether the city helps produce homes through grants (didn’t the state receive $321 million in block grants from Sally and Zeta that we could potentially use). Your not gonna see many homes built in inner city mobile until builders can make a bigger profit doing so than building subdivisions in West Mobile
That's a band aid tbh. Mobile has to focus on why and make a change. One problem that me and my wife continue too see is that. There isn't enough new subdivisions being but in the city limits. 90% of the cities population lost is a transfer to the west Mobile suburban areas tbh. We are currently house shopping and we would rather live in the city but the problem is that there isn't any new subdivisions being built in the city.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:40 AM

Yeah, Annexation is a band-aid that needs to be applied FAST!

Unfortunately, there is very little usable land that can be developed into subdivisions within the current city limits. Most subdivisions in the city that are being built are small specialty subdivisions that most can not afford. This is why annexation of vacant land is important. Let's face it. Annexation is how the vast majority of Sunbelt cities grow.... we are no different. Annexation will help immediately cover our losses and then slow the bleeding going forward. After annexation, Mobile needs to double down and really continue to work on itself to achieve city wide growth.

Mobile has several big issues..... perception of bad schools (which isn't true), a crime issue, and a very old and aging housing stock. People want new housing. Even our neighborhoods in District 6 are getting old. The growth rate is slowing fast in those areas. West Mobile (unincorporated) used to have a growth rate of 1% to 2% and it is now below 0.5% per year. This is now becoming a county wide issue.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:06 AM

899 posts, read 623,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Yeah, Annexation is a band-aid that needs to be applied FAST!

Unfortunately, there is very little usable land that can be developed into subdivisions within the current city limits. Most subdivisions in the city that are being built are small specialty subdivisions that most can not afford. This is why annexation of vacant land is important. Let's face it. Annexation is how the vast majority of Sunbelt cities grow.... we are no different. Annexation will help immediately cover our losses and then slow the bleeding going forward. After annexation, Mobile needs to double down and really continue to work on itself to achieve city wide growth.

Mobile has several big issues..... perception of bad schools (which isn't true), a crime issue, and a very old and aging housing stock. People want new housing. Even our neighborhoods in District 6 are getting old. The growth rate is slowing fast in those areas. West Mobile (unincorporated) used to have a growth rate of 1% to 2% and it is now below 0.5% per year. This is now becoming a county wide issue.

Yea the only major subdivision in the works right now (Milkhouse Creek Subdivision, on Cottagehill) is being done on what is basically the last major undeveloped area in the city that is not used for preservation or in a flood zone

I think a big step that the city needs to achieve is allow for higher density builds especially East of I-65. Allow Duplex and Townhomes with R-1 housing. The zoning just needs to be less oppressive in general
Quite Frankly I think Mobile is just gonna need to annex all of Tilmans Corner and West Mobile all the way past Mcfarland and Snow Rd and them some

West Mobile Suburbia is getting too thick, especially without a major highway nearby. I'm hoping that once Highway 198 is finished, we'll start seeing suburbia being built around that corridor and a rise of Wilmer, Georgetown, Mauvalla, and Semmes

Old 03-25-2022, 09:13 AM

I think there is more land for development than we realize.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:15 AM

1,510 posts, read 1,891,855 times
Infill is occurring east of I-65 but the closing of subsidized housing is contributing to a lot of these decreases in the city proper. This is cyclical. The county, on the other hand, should start to see growth again as new subdivisions in the unincorporated areas of the county come online and will be especially so as West Baldwin Co fills up (and becomes as congested as West Mobile! - it is well on its way)

Old 03-25-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I think there is more land for development than we realize.
Oh there is land... just it isn't zoned correctly, in a flood zone, or in undesirable areas that makes the project not feasible. When you try to do something big on a piece of property everybody fights it and nothing happens.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 AM

I was just looking at a map of Mobile the Milk House, Canterbury and Crestview areas has a lot of land for development.

Old 03-25-2022, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
I was just looking at a map of Mobile the Milk House, Canterbury and Crestview areas has a lot of land for development.
Most of that land is encumbered by wetlands, flood plains, topography issues, or is protected. A lot of the land in the Canterbury area is owned by the school system and is operated as the Environmental Center. Good large tracks are hard to come by in the city limits.

Mobile Area News:-land.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area