Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2010, 06:21 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times

Advertisements

Nice to have college and young adults interested in the state.
Well the party is over, the wind is knocking me down and it is 18 in the sun.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:42 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,531,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I breed working Labradors, mainly as gundogs (and companions for active families), but some do go to the guide dogs. One became a drug sniffer dog -- only dog they'd had that passed ALL the tests including helicopter work; he spent his career working offshore oil rigs. -- Far as I know, I am the last Lab breeder anywhere in the world who still exhibits 100% fieldbred dogs in conformation shows (but only in UKC. At AKC shows, a fieldbred dog cannot win anymore, even tho it is more correct. Current AKC/English show type is nothing like the correct historical type.) At present I've had 13 or 14 generations of my own line, founded on the Avalanche line from Helena MT (est. ca. 1925).

Don't do any boarding right now -- not enough room.

Rescues at this point are mostly bogus (many now deal mainly in imported puppies -- over 300,000 imports from 3rd world countries per 2007 CDC stats -- but some actually steal dogs from breeders on very thin pretexts; look up the Murder Hollow Bassets for one good example). Their IRS nonprofit forms are fascinating... the owners usually make serious bucks at it. WAY more than any trainer or breeder ever makes. -- Abandoned dogs are actually very, very rare, considering how many dogs there are in the U.S. -- about 80 million. Fewer than one in 10,000 ever winds up in a shelter for ANY reason.
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you really know your dogs!

Are all colors gun dogs, or just black and chocolate labs? I want to say that I've seen a few yellow ones as guide dogs.....

Labs make good family dogs, too.

I was raised with English Pointers...(they were pets but also hunted quail)..and we had a Springer for 15 years...(she was just a pet though....) All were great, devoted companions.

You don't know how soft a bird dog's mouth is until you feel the mouth of another dog.....

Okay, here is another question......does Ohio State U have a good vet school? I just found out my friend's daughter goes there (they live in Pennsylvania now), and that is what she wants to be......

Old 03-19-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Thanks for the links - I just happen to be a horticulturist. No problems with rabbits or deer down here....we did have plant eating iguanas.....until this last January and February cold winter down here. Iguanas were decimated! Yes! They don't belong here and have done so much damage to plant material.
I recall the news and also L.A. Times showing them.....they were on branches, freezing and dropping off..... I didn't know they weren't indigenous....I figured they were, right along with crocs and alligators.....

And I thought they only ate bugs.....didn't know they ate plants...

Old 03-19-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Nice to have college and young adults interested in the state.
Well the party is over, the wind is knocking me down and it is 18 in the sun.
She's very interested and they were extremely interested in her......they had a great tour, everybody was friendly, the location was very pretty.....

Old 03-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Sounds like they are having a wonderful time.
They really did!

I didn't know a lot about the school......apparently it's produced several Rhodes Scholars....several Pulitzer winners......the youngest American to climb Mt. Everest went to UM...the football team is good....Rolling Stone Magazine named it the most scenic campus, on and on....

And they've had top entertainers in the stadium: Rolling Stones, Elton John, Keith Urban, Pearl Jam, Toby Keith, quite a few others......

And it is either WSU or UM that does research on grizzly bears......I think it's UM....

Old 03-19-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Jason!! Quincy is out of his cage again!!
I knew I knew those names, but had to think for a minute! I was really disappointed when he slowed down to just doing one a week.....they are one of my favorite families.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:26 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I recall the news and also L.A. Times showing them.....they were on branches, freezing and dropping off..... I didn't know they weren't indigenous....I figured they were, right along with crocs and alligators.....

And I thought they only ate bugs.....didn't know they ate plants...
Yes, some types of "lizards" eat insects, some eat plant material. The [i]Iguana iguana[i] eat plant material. One time while we were eating lunch, sitting at a table under the sapodilla tree (you must see it) we watched an iguana up in an oak tree eat a flower of an orchid in bloom!!! They love hibiscus. Why we would plant new plants and overnite, if they were tasty, the plants would be decimated! Some of the iguanas are so big, they climb a new, young tree and break the main branches! Grrrrr!!!

Old 03-19-2010, 04:50 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,124,103 times
Quote:
She's very interested and they were extremely interested in her......they had a great tour, everybody was friendly, the location was very pretty.....
The weather could not have been better.........I ordered it "special" for her visit!!

Curious.....................where did they end up eating dinner?? I hope it was good.

If she ends up choosing the "UofM" I think she'll be happy with her choice. My (one and only ) daughter graduated from there..............she went her first 3 years to Colorado State (Ft Collins) and then finished up out here in Missoula. Her husband is a graduate of MT State over at Bozeman.

They are all "good" schools.

P.S. I think you ought to buy that place on Flathead Lake , then you could have a "graduation party" here locally for all of us when she finishes up in 2 years.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:48 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Yea! I will second that, I will be done with my updating degree work also, definitely a time for a toast!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:56 PM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Quote:
I knew I knew those names, but had to think for a minute! I was really disappointed when he slowed down to just doing one a week.....they are one of my favorite families.
Foxtrot is my fave comic since way back... I've been faithfully archiving it since it first went online back in 1996, and have that pretty near complete. Somewhere I have a whole boxful of newspaper editions saved, too, tho that's far from complete. I wish they'd issue the whole thing sequentially, I'd buy that! Not really interested in the drips-and-drabs approach of the usual book-form, tho. Yeah, I miss the daily -- I think it was better then, too. Oh well, some is better'n none!

Other faves you can find online:

Welcome to the miserable world of PROMETHEUS…
(you really gotta read that one from the beginning, it's full of self-referential jokes -- beware of ginormous 35 MEGS page if you use this 2nd link! slower connections should use the calendar.)

B.C. and the Wizard of Id
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana