Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times

Advertisements

In reference to the Stock Farm club
Best part of the article was the "Feudal" remark. LOL! Best dang description of the year.
Well, money follows money. What can you do?

Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
In reference to the Stock Farm club
Best part of the article was the "Feudal" remark. LOL! Best dang description of the year.
Well, money follows money. What can you do?
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -- Shakespeare

Old 03-21-2010, 12:14 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." -- Shakespeare
If I could only rep you!!
I would put the entire DC crowd up there next!

Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM

26 posts, read 40,209 times
Default Hello there!

My name is Cara and I currently live in Roswell, NM or hell as we like to call it. I have an 18 month old little boy named Vaden and a wonderful guy name Chris.

We are looking to move up north somewhere, ideally Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. We want mountains, rivers, streams, green earth with very friendly and trustworthy people.

We hope to relocate sometime within the next year, of course after taking a trip up there to check things out.

In a nutshell we are tired of reading the papers and hearing about meth lab busts, dead people being found in the back of cars, dumpsters, etc. Roswell is a small town of about 60k but we have had more crime per capita than any other town under 100k for the last five years. We want a good place to raise our family. Montana looks inviting.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:19 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,531,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
The weather could not have been better.........I ordered it "special" for her visit!!

Curious.....................where did they end up eating dinner?? I hope it was good.

If she ends up choosing the "UofM" I think she'll be happy with her choice. My (one and only ) daughter graduated from there..............she went her first 3 years to Colorado State (Ft Collins) and then finished up out here in Missoula. Her husband is a graduate of MT State over at Bozeman.

They are all "good" schools.

P.S. I think you ought to buy that place on Flathead Lake , then you could have a "graduation party" here locally for all of us when she finishes up in 2 years.
Boy, I am still drooling over the pic at the location of that house----maybe if we all pool our spare change! And then I saw in one of the brochures that they brought back that Flathead Lake is the largest body of fresh water this side of the Mississippi...and I think it said it's 18 miles long, but not sure.. For sure it's not the deepest....I can tell by the color....seems like it said a little over 300 feet, but not sure about that either. I assume that Tahoe is the deepest....in fact, they finally found the bottom sometime during my lifetime....but I know that it's lost at least 10+ feet during these recent drought years.....heck, for a few years, all the little private boat docks sat way out on the dry sand......sure was sad to see.....

Well, he's not here right now so I asked her...the first day they ate lunch at the school (after the tour), and had a pretty good one......she said that they ate at something called Mackenzie's Pizza or something like that the first night......and I know that he told me that they ate at 5 Guys, (sheesh, I think that's what he said), and the hamburger was very similar to IN 'n Out which is 'very big' here.....fresh.... Anyway, she was happy.....cheese pizza one night and cheese burger the other....(at least she got some calcium while she was gone..).

I think they ate quick breakfasts at their hotel both mornings....they had to leave early the last day in order to get back to catch the flight in Spokane....but on the way out they passed Cracker Barrel (maybe along 90???), and we love those.....(we are thankful they don't have them here or else we'd look like barns in no time), but we still like them, so we will hit that if she goes to school there....and we will definitely try to find the truck stop place.....(I printed the info off for him and he's kept it in a folder)

They walked right by the Mexican restaurant.....but she wasn't one to be swayed.....LOL He loves it. It's all she can do to choke down part of a quesadilla. (She tries to fill up on chips before the quesadilla comes....LOL)

I think they ate Chinese in Pullman, which he said was okay, nothing to write home about.... He is not into Chinese (she is though), and is allergic to soy, so he has to be careful...

I think she's getting a bit nervous because she won't know anybody if she decides on UM...(our good friend's grandson is a football player at WSU, so she would have known him, and my sister-in-law lives in Ft. Collins, so she would have known somebody in CO)....my niece goes to Arizona State and is heavily involved in a sorority, which has given her some good lifetime friends....but her sorority isn't at any of the 3 schools..... Did your daughter belong to one at UM? Are there very many there? Maybe the school site will list them....will have to check.

My girl will be okay no matter where she goes, but she is not the type to walk up to somebody, shake hands and introduce herself....it takes time for her to get to know somebody...we are thinking of suggesting a sorority so that she won't be so lonely......

Old 03-21-2010, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Yes, some types of "lizards" eat insects, some eat plant material. The [i]Iguana iguana[i] eat plant material. One time while we were eating lunch, sitting at a table under the sapodilla tree (you must see it) we watched an iguana up in an oak tree eat a flower of an orchid in bloom!!! They love hibiscus. Why we would plant new plants and overnite, if they were tasty, the plants would be decimated! Some of the iguanas are so big, they climb a new, young tree and break the main branches! Grrrrr!!!
I think I'd have a heart attack if I were eating on a patio and one of those things crawled near me!

I know what you mean.......rabbits destroy a lot here.......they think certain flowers are candy......it can get costly, not to mention all the time you take to plant them......

Old 03-21-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Yea! I will second that, I will be done with my updating degree work also, definitely a time for a toast!
I'd love to have that place as my 'summer home'.......dream on....sigh......

Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Foxtrot is my fave comic since way back... I've been faithfully archiving it since it first went online back in 1996, and have that pretty near complete. Somewhere I have a whole boxful of newspaper editions saved, too, tho that's far from complete. I wish they'd issue the whole thing sequentially, I'd buy that! Not really interested in the drips-and-drabs approach of the usual book-form, tho. Yeah, I miss the daily -- I think it was better then, too. Oh well, some is better'n none!

Other faves you can find online:

Welcome to the miserable world of PROMETHEUS…
(you really gotta read that one from the beginning, it's full of self-referential jokes -- beware of ginormous 35 MEGS page if you use this 2nd link! slower connections should use the calendar.)

B.C. and the Wizard of Id
The L.A. Times has cut back so much this past year...some of my favorite columnists got laid off......the comics are so tiny......I almost need a magnifying glass......I am NOT kidding!

Old 03-21-2010, 04:31 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
I think I'd have a heart attack if I were eating on a patio and one of those things crawled near me!

I know what you mean.......rabbits destroy a lot here.......they think certain flowers are candy......it can get costly, not to mention all the time you take to plant them......
Funny story about the iguanas....they are very territorial and the big ones love to climb trees. Welll, about 6-7 years ago, there was a big tree that an iguana especially liked - the trees in our rainforest surround my office building. Every day, EVERY day, sometime between 11:30 am to 1:00 pm, an iguana would be up in the oak just above the walkway from our office to the cafe and poop!!! When we came out for lunch, no poop on the walkway... we would run past the spot and NOT look up. If the poop had occured, we could relax and walk out to the cafe, gingerly stepping around the deposits. Fortunately, one of the four hurricanes that hit during the summer of 2005, took out that tree! No more poop problems there.

Old 03-21-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Wurzig ... Wherever your family actually ends up,, it looks like Montana is already adopting YOU.. The University of Montana is a leader in forestry and wildlife biology.. You are probably thinking of the Montana Cooperative Wildlife Research Unit.. It was headed for 25 years by John Craighead.. John and his twin brother Frank were pioneers in grizzly bear research.. You may have seen them on National Geographic programs back in the day.. Two AMAZING guys.. Frank died in 2001, but I can't find if John is still alive.. I found a 2005 article in THE MONTANAN about John, but his was 88 and that was five years ago.. The Montanan - The Magazine of The University of Montana

Reziac ... you made me think of my favorite comic hero as a kid .. The Phantom.. I also liked Mandrake the Magician.. ( both by the same author )

tiberius
This is an interesting article, tiberius, thanks for sharing. I used to watch Jacques Cousteau (sp) when I was growing up but I hadn't heard of the Craighead brothers..... I had no idea grizzlies were so social......alpha leader, too......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana