Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2010, 05:16 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,679,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Depending are your destination; if you are going to visit family and friends, sending a small box via UPS, might be least expensive answer. Plus you don't have to lug it to the airport and wonder if it will arrive.

You can do the entire shipment online, print the shipping label, and hand off the package to a brown truck or drop it off at a UPS store, Staples, Office Depot etc. UPS will also for a small fee pick it at your door.
Well that free door pick up might not work here
We take it into town to the farm repair shop, they stop there.
Reed, I am always happy to see your post. Let us know how the plans for the travel are.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:52 AM

299 posts, read 566,386 times
Default then and now....

Griz.... great story.. Over the years, this country has produced many great things, but the DC-3 ( C-47 in the military ) takes a back seat to none of them.. And the first one flew just 32 years after the Wright brothers flight.. Now THAT'S what this country was capable of before all the bs got started.. God bless the DC-3.

If the DC-3 had started these days..... well, it just wouldn't happen.. And even if it did make it to production, .. on the initial takeoff the plane would run over some protected rat darting across the runway.. the media would vilify the pilot.. the rat's family would be on oprah, ( with everyone on stage, and in the audience, crying ).. the ACLU would represent the rat in court during the lawsuit.. production of the plane would be canceled.. hollywood would make a movie about the rat, (with stuart playing the title roll in the animated classic..becoming the first animated character - human or critter - to win the best actor oscar ).. former president clinton would go on a world tour, apololgizing to rats in each country for america's sin.. the media would do an investigation into how many conservatives through history had killed a rat.. the NEA would support the school book industry in dropping the founding fathers from textbooks and adding the history of rat contributions to america.. a rat would be added to the judging panel on american idol.. PETA would open a second organization concentrating only on rats, titled PETR, ( though the internet would quickly notice the implication of the name and the horrified women of peta would cut it off ).. congress would subpoena Cheney and question him under oath as to when the Bush administration first started targeting rats.. ( Cheney would try to point out that Bush was no longer president, but his statement would be stricken from the record as irrelevant ).. and president obama would sign a treaty giving rats around the world the right to sue america for the death of any rat in their own countries.. ( winning obama his second nobel peace prize )

tiberius

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 AM

475 posts, read 1,499,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Well that free door pick up might not work here
We take it into town to the farm repair shop, they stop there.
Reed, I am always happy to see your post. Let us know how the plans for the travel are.
Hi Seven,

you read it wrong, I said for a small fee. NOT FREE. Too bad it isn't free.
I normally just drop it off - but that is probably easier for me than some as I have UPS Store, Staples and Office Depot within 1 - 3 miles of my house.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post
Hi Seven,

you read it wrong, I said for a small fee. NOT FREE. Too bad it isn't free.
I normally just drop it off - but that is probably easier for me than some as I have UPS Store, Staples and Office Depot within 1 - 3 miles of my house.
Oh yes, I remember the things I use to take for granted, they stop in town here and find someone who knows someone who knows you and leave it with them.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:01 AM

Here is a link to the plane for anyone interested.
C-47 Skytrain - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I got a chance once to fly in a restored B-17, very loud but you could feel many spirits flying with you. It was beautiful but surprisingly slow flying. I could only imagine being in one with flack all around you.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
I went to an air show when I was a kid and climbed all over the B17 that was in the show 12 O'clock high. It was the Piccadilly Lilly and looked a lot like this one.

Picture is courtesy of military aircraft dot org UK.

Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM

160 posts, read 301,355 times
I have a long deceased relative (Kirk Mitchell) who was a squadron leader for the 303rd bomber group in WWII. They were known as the "Hell's Angels". My father knew him and said he was a very impressive man.

303rd Bomb Group (H) - Molesworth, England

Old 03-13-2010, 10:42 AM

8,090 posts, read 15,165,710 times
I remember when I was a kid, at the travelling airshows everyone was welcome to clamber all over the old aircraft, some of which went back to the WW1 era. I think that probably inspired a lot of kids to become pilots and mechanics and similar useful professions -- ain't nothing like hands-on to give you that connection with something!

Great pic, rickers! That old plane just oozes personality. If it could talk, the stories it could tell... I remember 12 O'Clock High. Didn't know the plane had a name!

I did get to sit in Airwolf once.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:25 AM

Here is one of the best show I have gone to
Evergreen Aviation & Space Museum
Oregon International Airshow - Hillsboro, Oregon - August 20, 21 & 22, 2010
Nothing like the thunder!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cumminszhere View Post
I have a long deceased relative (Kirk Mitchell) who was a squadron leader for the 303rd bomber group in WWII. They were known as the "Hell's Angels". My father knew him and said he was a very impressive man.

303rd Bomb Group (H) - Molesworth, England
That is really something!
I have a shirtail relative of this
Flying Tigers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the great part of my job is that over the years I have been the benefactor of many tales of war from vets. They often want to talk in the night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana