Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times

Advertisements

Here's the thing, Von Stauffenberg was a 6'4" Olympic athlete! The casting call on this one was all wrong on so many different levels! Viggo Mortinson or Vince Vaughn would have been better choices than shrimpy scientology cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,941,413 times
I haven't seen a TC movie since "Magnolia" I stopped after that. I've seen the trailers and thought'"How Dumb!!!!" United Artist made a mistake on him!

Old 12-16-2008, 08:18 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Not a fan of Tom Cruise since his wacko stuff with Matt Lauer, jumping on Oprah's couch and overdosing on scientology.

He seems horribly miscast, a pretty boy in the role of a military officer from an aristocratic German family, who by 1944 was sick of the genocide and horrors he'd seen on eastern front fighting the Russians. Most German Army officers were thin and gaunt by mid 1944 from years of brutal war. I was thinking that Christopher Walken could portray that gaunt look, maybe even get the accent right. And there are plenty of German actors who both look and sound the part. I can't see Germans flocking to this film, given that Cruise was not even allowed into Germany two years ago, as that government considers him to be a member of a religious cult. Since then, the German government has relented on that viewpoint, but if I were a German, I'd want to see a German in that role, not some American joy boy. We stopped seeing his movies years ago, but did like some of the early stuff.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Here's the thing, Von Stauffenberg was a 6'4" Olympic athlete! The casting call on this one was all wrong on so many different levels! Viggo Mortinson or Vince Vaughn would have been better choices than shrimpy scientology cruise.
I think you hit the nail on the head...this role was woefully miscast.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:01 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Not a fan of Tom Cruise since his wacko stuff with Matt Lauer, jumping on Oprah's couch and overdosing on scientology.

He seems horribly miscast, a pretty boy in the role of a military officer from an aristocratic German family, who by 1944 was sick of the genocide and horrors he'd seen on eastern front fighting the Russians. Most German Army officers were thin and gaunt by mid 1944 from years of brutal war. I was thinking that Christopher Walken could portray that gaunt look, maybe even get the accent right. And there are plenty of German actors who both look and sound the part. I can't see Germans flocking to this film, given that Cruise was not even allowed into Germany two years ago, as that government considers him to be a member of a religious cult. Since then, the German government has relented on that viewpoint, but if I were a German, I'd want to see a German in that role, not some American joy boy. We stopped seeing his movies years ago, but did like some of the early stuff.
I completely agree. It's a HUGE casting misstep. This movie will most likely be a big flop for Tom.
I think Tom has let fame go straight to his head. He's not the most genuine guy--in interviews most everything he says sounds "scripted" and planned. He's milking his time in front of every camera, and I just think he's got a lousy personality. Blah.
I do love him in the right role though. I'd pay to see another movie like "The Firm" or "Jerry Maguire." If he's cast in his typical roles, he really does shine.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:04 AM

23,466 posts, read 44,115,130 times
I actually thought he was good in Magnolia...then again, both he and the character he played had 'daddy issues'.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:34 AM

266 posts, read 911,818 times
I think Tom Cruise is underrated as an actor. So many people think he stinks, but I think he's quite good and has that movie star quality that carries a movie--not all actors, even very good ones, have that. Sure, he's limited as an actor, but what actor isn't to some extent? Can you imagine Meryl Streep as "Pretty Woman"? Or Robert DeNiro as "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective"? Just because you're a great actor doesn't mean you're great for every role. I'm not a fan of TC's personal life, but I really don't care about that. At least you can say, TC seems to have good taste in movies. His movies range from great ("Jerry Maguire," "Minority Report") to entertaining ("Mission Impossible") to unique ("Vanilla Sky"). Other talented actors (think Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Aniston) have squandered their careers with bad movie choices.

My problem with "Valkyrie," before even seeing it, is that the actors are American and speaking English. I would much prefer to see this movie with German actors and the German language--so much more authentic. You gotta give Mel Gibson credit there--he makes the effort to use the real language in his movies.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trkstp Tina View Post
I think Tom Cruise is underrated as an actor. So many people think he stinks, but I think he's quite good and has that movie star quality that carries a movie--not all actors, even very good ones, have that. Sure, he's limited as an actor, but what actor isn't to some extent? Can you imagine Meryl Streep as "Pretty Woman"? Or Robert DeNiro as "Ace Ventura, Pet Detective"? Just because you're a great actor doesn't mean you're great for every role. I'm not a fan of TC's personal life, but I really don't care about that. At least you can say, TC seems to have good taste in movies. His movies range from great ("Jerry Maguire," "Minority Report") to entertaining ("Mission Impossible") to unique ("Vanilla Sky"). Other talented actors (think Eddie Murphy and Jennifer Aniston) have squandered their careers with bad movie choices.

My problem with "Valkyrie," before even seeing it, is that the actors are American and speaking English. I would much prefer to see this movie with German actors and the German language--so much more authentic. You gotta give Mel Gibson credit there--he makes the effort to use the real language in his movies.

I thought Tom Cruise was great in Born on the 4th of July and Rainman. I'll even give him Jerry McGuire and I even sorta liked Vanilla Sky. But overall, Tom Cruise is a horribly overrated actor who got noticed because of nice teeth and sunglasses. And then when he got big enough, he went nuts. United Artists is HIS studio and so, far, he almost drug Meryl Streep & Robert Redford down with that first piece of garbage produced by UA.

Tom is still in recovery mode because after the whole couch/matt lauer/creepy stuff, he's lost most of his credibility with his fans and has yet to get it back.

But you just know that he wasn't going to let anyone talk him out of playing von stauffenberg. Sorry Tom, but that giant ego of yours isn't going to add 12" to your height, nor will it make you a convincing German.

Shoot, Val Kilmer is one of the best character actors out there, he would have made a better Von Stauffenberg.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:28 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,386,492 times
I think that Tom Cruise lost his appeal a while back.

The surest way to not kill an accent is to not use one. The Brits seem do that with some regularity.

If he want's the hearts and minds of the German people, he should tell them that he's a jelly filled pastry; it's worked for an American before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Anybody plan on seeing this? This review is harsh ~ has Tom lost his appeal?

"Cruise wears an eye patch and a Nazi uniform, but speaks with the same flat, unaffected American accent that places him somewhere between Redondo Beach and Johnny Rockets. It’s absolutely hysterical to hear and see a boyish Nazi with blazing white perfect teeth and that voice announce, “We must kill Hitler.”

The accent is only part of the problem, but it’s a big part. Cruise apparently didn’t even try for a German sound to play Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg. It’s as if Meryl Streep wandered into “Sophie’s Choice” sounding like a Valley Girl.

If this was the way he thought he’d get to the hearts and minds of Germans, maybe he should get some new marketing advice. When the fans in that country see this, even Brunhilde won’t be able to help him!

YouTube - Valkyrie (Trailer)

Old 12-17-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I think that Tom Cruise lost his appeal a while back.

The surest way to not kill an accent is to not use one. The Brits seem do that with some regularity.

If he want's the hearts and minds of the German people, he should tell them that he's a jelly filled pastry; it's worked for an American before.
Oh you!!!! Kennedy meant well ... I'm cravin' me a Berliner right now too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies