Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 09:18 AM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times

Advertisements

Tom Cruise shot himself in the foot when he did "The Firm".

I had read the book and really looked forwrd to it. The ending was changed so drastically and so horribly from the one in the book that it was difficult to believe, period, that one had anything to do with the other, and it was no improvement. The film truly stunk it up.

While Cruise may not have been responsible for writing the ending, he is indeed responsible for being the actor who took the part and executed the movie.

Cruise to me is Ben Affleck minus intelligence and integrity. Never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 12:35 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Tom Cruise shot himself in the foot when he did "The Firm".

I had read the book and really looked forwrd to it. The ending was changed so drastically and so horribly from the one in the book that it was difficult to believe, period, that one had anything to do with the other, and it was no improvement. The film truly stunk it up.

While Cruise may not have been responsible for writing the ending, he is indeed responsible for being the actor who took the part and executed the movie.

Cruise to me is Ben Affleck minus intelligence and integrity. Never again.
Ben redeemd himself when he did his spot on imitation of Keith Olbermann.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 AM

10,083 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Of the 17 Tom Cruise movies I have seen (all 3 Mission Impossibles, All The Right Moves, War of the Worlds, Minority Report, Eyes Wide Shut, Jerry McGuire, Interview With The Vampire, The Firm, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Collateral, Cocktail, Top Gun, Risky Business, The Outsiders) I only didn't like two: Mission Impossible 2 and Minority Report (boring). I wouldn't have liked those two movies no matter who was in them.

Collateral is my favorite Tom Cruise movie followed by The Firm, Rain Man and All The Right Moves. All were highly entertaining.

I hope to see Magnolia some day. I just never seem to catch it on TV from the beginning so I haven't watched it.

Point is, with the exception of 2, I am entertained by the Tom Cruise movies I have seen and I would never not see a movie because he's in it. Valkyrie (as a movie topic) interests me and I may see it in the theater.

What he does in his private life is his business. However, I appreciate that he keeps his yapper shut on politics, publicly. It makes me like him more.

Did you see Lions for Lambs? Not a great movie, but not as bad as many critics said it to be. Poorly directed and executed, but Tom Cruise was good as the condescending Senator. The movie made a pitiful gross of like 15 or 16 million, but was pretty good I thought.
Valkyrie probably won't do much at the box office, or much to convince Tom haters to like him.
I don't like Tom Cruise's personality--but then again, I don't know him. Obviously just what I've seen of him in the media. In the right roles, he is excellent, still.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:38 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,703 times
They should have cast Ed Harris in the lead.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:03 AM

262 posts, read 567,363 times
I think they should have cast Jeremy Irons as the lead role.

Old 12-26-2008, 12:23 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,741,511 times
Val Kilmer or Viggo Mortenson.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:44 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,518 times
Yikes. I figured this movie would have gotten him back on the public's good side.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:55 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,626 times
"Valkyrie" was one of the films I saw this weekend, I liked it, however I think it would have seemed more "authentic" if it was in German.
I had a hard time grasping Hitler in a meeting with his henchmen speaking English!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner_Nation_60 View Post
Anybody plan on seeing this? This review is harsh ~ has Tom lost his appeal?

"Cruise wears an eye patch and a Nazi uniform, but speaks with the same flat, unaffected American accent that places him somewhere between Redondo Beach and Johnny Rockets. It’s absolutely hysterical to hear and see a boyish Nazi with blazing white perfect teeth and that voice announce, “We must kill Hitler.”

The accent is only part of the problem, but it’s a big part. Cruise apparently didn’t even try for a German sound to play Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg. It’s as if Meryl Streep wandered into “Sophie’s Choice” sounding like a Valley Girl.

If this was the way he thought he’d get to the hearts and minds of Germans, maybe he should get some new marketing advice. When the fans in that country see this, even Brunhilde won’t be able to help him!

YouTube - Valkyrie (Trailer)

Old 12-29-2008, 12:31 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,765,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
"Valkyrie" was one of the films I saw this weekend, I liked it, however I think it would have seemed more "authentic" if it was in German.
I had a hard time grasping Hitler in a meeting with his henchmen speaking English!

You seem to have a problem with suspension of disbelief.

That only Germans should play Germans in the pictures is ridiculous, following that reasoning they couldn't make Ben Hur because there are no real Romans around. The problem isn't that Cruise is American, it's that's he's Cruise.

Besides, who could do better than James Mason as Rommel, Leo G Carrol as von Runstedt and George Macready as Bayerlein did in "The Desert Fox"?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:41 PM

784 posts, read 2,266,134 times
I actually just saw the movie this weekend and I have to say it was not one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies.

Why I didn't like it:

First for a movie about WW2, set in Germany, there was maybe only one reference to the jews.

I felt the movie made no attempt at showing the viewers what the Jewish people endured and overcame. There were no slavery camps, no showing of mass killings, torture, etc. The movie was based from a premise that we all understood what had happened to the jews. If you were someone who knew nothing about the mass killings of the Jewish race, then you would not have understood the complete madness, evil and calousness in which the German army displayed towards those few races.

I think it wouldn't have hurt the movie as well had they shown a little bit of the destruction from which the Germans (especially Adolf Hitler) had inflicted onto the Jews and a few other races. I think this would have personalized it a little more. By removing all of the evil associated with this regime, it almost minimized the sickness of one Adolf Hitler. Having said that they based the movie more on the premise that there were a lot of Germans who wanted to kill Adolf. However, understanding as someone who understands history, I know this is something that any country ruled by a dictatorship goes through. There are always some who dont agree with the leader of a country run by a dictator. Once again, seeing it just from the eyes of the few who disagreed with Hitler, seemed to much to minimize the overall evil in which this regime was run. The way they wrote this movie just eliminated to much of the true horror for me.

I also agree, although I like Tom Cruise in most of his movies, not having the accent for this particular role, did do this movie an injustice and disservice.

Last edited by SlickRick1; 12-29-2008 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies