Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 12:49 PM

3,977 posts, read 7,695,626 times

Advertisements

well, I'm not trying to say only Germans should play Germans, etc. I'm saying this film would have felt more authentic IMO, if it was in German. It has nothing to with it being Tom Cruise, etc.
it was just a general feeling I had. I still enjoyed the film and it had suspenseful moments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You seem to have a problem with suspension of disbelief.

That only Germans should play Germans in the pictures is ridiculous, following that reasoning they couldn't make Ben Hur because there are no real Romans around. The problem isn't that Cruise is American, it's that's he's Cruise.

Besides, who could do better than James Mason as Rommel, Leo G Carrol as von Runstedt and George Macready as Bayerlein did in "The Desert Fox"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:50 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
A couple of other movies that deal with the subject. Auf Deustch...
The one thing I'll say for Valkyrie is that the authenticity is very, very good. The execution scene was filmed in the same square that was used for the real deal......\

Der 20. Juli (1955)

Es geschah am 20. Juli (1955)

Old 12-29-2008, 02:04 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,534,951 times
Cruise's best part came in Tropic Thunder as Les Grossman. I thought he was in redemption mode until now.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:37 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You seem to have a problem with suspension of disbelief.

That only Germans should play Germans in the pictures is ridiculous, following that reasoning they couldn't make Ben Hur because there are no real Romans around. The problem isn't that Cruise is American, it's that's he's Cruise.

Besides, who could do better than James Mason as Rommel, Leo G Carrol as von Runstedt and George Macready as Bayerlein did in "The Desert Fox"?
I agree with you regarding Germans playing Germans. One of the best portrayals of a German woman was done by Cate Blanchett in The Good German.

Tom Cruise's ego obviously was out of control on this picture. I'm sure that most of the casting directors in LA were smacking their heads when they heard Little Tom was going to play a large German. I'd love to have seen what Val Kilmer would have done with the role.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:36 AM

824 posts, read 2,792,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
A couple of other movies that deal with the subject. Auf Deustch...
The one thing I'll say for Valkyrie is that the authenticity is very, very good. The execution scene was filmed in the same square that was used for the real deal......\

Der 20. Juli (1955)

Es geschah am 20. Juli (1955)
Thanks for the recs, but sadly I just searched Netflix and they don't have them The Stauffenberg story is contained within "War and Remembrance" (1988) which I like very much, and it is the most chilling dramatization of the Holocaust I've ever seen.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,650,631 times
we went to see this movie yesterday and we all enjoyed it. I think that it had a lot of suspense etc. If it had been in german, we would never have seen it. I think that they made the movie in english to make it play to the general public. I don't think people should get so hung up about tom cruise. our family didn't see any problem with him. we admit, we are not movie critics, but we pay our money just the same and we were entertained!

Old 12-30-2008, 03:02 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,309,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Did you see Lions for Lambs? Not a great movie, but not as bad as many critics said it to be. Poorly directed and executed, but Tom Cruise was good as the condescending Senator. The movie made a pitiful gross of like 15 or 16 million, but was pretty good I thought.
Valkyrie probably won't do much at the box office, or much to convince Tom haters to like him.
I don't like Tom Cruise's personality--but then again, I don't know him. Obviously just what I've seen of him in the media. In the right roles, he is excellent, still.
I'll probably check out Lions for Lambs soon.

Cruise is hit or miss with me. Some films I really enjoyed his work and he was suited for the roles, others I did not. I'm in the middle of "collateral" and IMO, it's definitely out of Cruise's "good guy" element.

Valkyrie looks interesting and I definitely want to see that, if nothing for the historical aspects.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:27 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,687,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Definitely.
IMHO it is a very worthwhile film, good acting all around, not just Cruise.
Collateral was excellent. One of the few films where Cruise plays against type successfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies