Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2022, 08:59 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,764,318 times

Advertisements

Spectral (2016-Netflix)

Great popcorn movie! Lots of action and a fairly unique enemy to the protagonists.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2106651/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2022, 08:31 PM

17,650 posts, read 22,704,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
What goes around, comes around?

I did not know of the movie above.....but I did know that the premier Airwolf episode was named "Shadow of the Hawke". https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0507163/?ref_=ttep_ep1

The closest I think I ever came to JMV in a Native American, so to speak, flick was "Tribes".
I think i saw all of his Airwolf episodes. I'm also an Ernie Borgnine fan.
I saw Tribes, also. I saw most, if not all, of his/Jan's movies.

In his youth, Jan was so healthy, handsome, popular, etc. As he aged he went completely opposite to that. It was so sad to see/hear about.

Rest in Peace, Jan Michael.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Another boring night last night, and now I know why I've been feeling off the past few days..tested positive for Covid this morning.

I watched "Demolition Man" from 1993. It was humorous, a lot of little funny lines. And Sandra Bullock was so cute !
I Pray you feel much better very quickly.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The Secret Ways
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055423/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Nice, old time, B&W Cold War spy movie with surprising little gun play. A familiar face or two of the lowly players, too! About the only downer is that 2 or so times, Richard Widmark plays the jerk of the ugly American. In this movie, it may fit in but having seen some other flicks of his, I am wondering if he had a certain level of contempt for the flick and displayed it for the audience. But if he did that, it would be surprising for he was a producer (&director) of the flick, too! A 6.3.
I'm a fan of Richard Widmark. I have enjoyed many of his movies, especially The Long Ships.
Sidney Poitier, Rosanna Schiaffino, & Russ Tamblyn starred also.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=where+...&wsso=Moderate

Old 10-20-2022, 09:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I'm a fan of Richard Widmark. I have enjoyed many of his movies, especially The Long Ships.
Sidney Poitier, Rosanna Schiaffino, & Russ Tamblyn starred also.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=where+...&wsso=Moderate
I liked The Long Ships but didn't like what critics said about Richard in the movie, that they saw him as doing it as a joke, that he was "saying", "Come on, folks, it's just a movie!". When an actor does that, I have the knack not to see anything like that or at least, not interpret it as that, for I watch the movie for escapism, not to see an actor play at their jobs.

Like Matt Helm flick "The Ambushers" where Janice Rule called it her worse flick, many raked it over the coals. Granted, Janice in the movie may have looked rather bored that she was doing the movie but to me, here was one kick butt woman secret agent of the 60s! She saved Matt's cookies at least twice in the flick.

As said, how Richard acted in "The Secret Ways".....I'll take that as him playing the ugly American.

Last night's flick: Vera: Young Gods
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2769370/?ref_=ttep_ep3

Pretty darn good for a Brit mystery. Things moved nicely along and it was pretty clear....EXCEPT that the production values marred it in a place or two. First of all, when someone of notable fame appears in the front credits but then hardly has any scene time, that either says that someone messed up the movie making.......or that they are highlighting him unintentionally.

As an example, there is a Jason King episode where the police Lt. for that night's episode sends an underling on an errand in his car and when the car blows up, the Lt. is hardly broken up. Initially, I took that as bad production but as it turns out, it was part of the story to be eventually revealed. Saves the director's goose either way, I suppose, but it is the pits for the audience.

Secondly, there is the utter fascination on a central component of the story without consideration to its other uses, ie
Spoiler
atropine. They lock on it, see it only as a poison, think of only one or two ways that it might be produced. Well, if one has ever been in the service, they know it is also an emergency treatment against nerve gas (especially likely in our modern world) and pesticide poisoning.......and that side angle is never mentioned whatsoever.

Is it necessary for the telling of the story? No, probably not but is it necessary for the audience involvement in the story, their excitement? Could be.

A 7.0.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:22 AM

29,702 posts, read 14,796,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk J View Post
I Pray you feel much better very quickly.
Thanks, it's my second time, and it's like having the flu. No where near as bad as my wife's first time, before the vaccinations were available. She was down for like two weeks.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:25 AM

29,702 posts, read 14,796,531 times
Was only able to sleep until 3:30 this morning, so I got up and re-watched the 1999 film "Dogma". I forgot how funny, and great the cast was. I actually noticed another actress, I never saw the other times I watched it, Elizabeth Moss.

Old 10-21-2022, 11:18 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,764,318 times
Security (Netflix 2017)

Action thriller with Antonio Banderas and Ben Kingsley. In my opinion, it was beneath Kinsley's station to do this yarn. But it was a bit of vacuous entertainment.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3501112/

Old 10-21-2022, 02:01 PM

6,472 posts, read 8,218,557 times
The Worst Person in the World (2021) ★★★☆☆

Old 10-21-2022, 08:20 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
DCI Banks: What will survive (1,2)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4466218/?ref_=ttep_ep1

Pretty decent Brit mystery movie. An 8.0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies