Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2022, 09:45 AM

11,090 posts, read 6,979,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
(The) Burning Plain (2008)

I've seen this movie listed as both 'Burning Plain', and 'The Burning Plain'. Not sure what that title discrepancy is about, but.. I thought this was a really good story about the long term damage marital infidelity can have on kids. Good acting (Charlize Theron/Jennifer Lawrence), dramatic scenery- split between coastal Oregon & New Mexico. I saw it wasn't well reviewed by fans or critics, but I found it really compelling. It's on Prime for a few more days.
I watched this early this morning due to your review. At first I couldn't follow what was going on, but about 51 minutes in, it all became clear. I stayed for the acting. Brilliant actors all. The story is good, too. I can see why it didn't sit well with critics and audiences, though. It moves slowly, but that's the nature of the story. I saw at the end that the director dedicated the film to two names in real life who were characters from the cast. A 7.0 for me.

A lot of times if the "critics" don't like it, it means I will.

Last edited by pathrunner; 10-02-2022 at 10:05 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 09:54 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,601,079 times
Hocus Pocus 2 at 6:00 Thursday morning. Woke up and couldn't get back to sleep so thought I'd go ahead and check it out. Good ending but kinda liked the first one better.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times
Sole Survivor
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0065007/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Ghost story derived from "Lady Be Good" only a B-25 instead. This is the second time around watching it. Had heard about it for years, then watched it on youtube, and now, the first time on "the big screen". Not a classic ghost story up front but with the side elements that the dead are held in a place, unable to get to heaven and rather heart tugging how we treat our military dead. 8.6.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:48 AM

3,760 posts, read 2,592,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I watched this early this morning due to your review. At first I couldn't follow what was going on, but about 51 minutes in, it all became clear. I stayed for the acting. Brilliant actors all. The story is good, too... A 7.0 for me.

A lot of times if the "critics" don't like it, it means I will.
Cool. I'm glad my posts are noticed. You know how it is, sometimes you post on a forum, and wonder if anybody cares.. I found another one just randomly surfing this weekend:

The Last Son (2021)
This is a pretty stark Western. Great scenery, not much dialog, but I think that was a deliberate design to convey the stoic nature of survival in the Wild West.
It's basically a bad guy vs bad guy story. A lowlife cowboy receives an Indian prophecy, that one of his illegitimate children will kill him. So he roams Nevada hunting down his children attempting to murder them, before they kill him. But he has an outlaw son, who is basically as wicked & homicidal as he is. Good, but not great, drama. Very classic, vigilante Western feel.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:46 AM

2,692 posts, read 1,675,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babe_Ruth View Post
This is a pretty stark Western. Great scenery, not much dialog, but I think that was a deliberate design to convey the stoic nature of survival in the Wild West.

This reminded me of a movie that had only one word for dialogue for the entire film. Just one, though there are 50 other spoken words attributed to him at the beginning. I was initially skeptical on how this movie can hold my attention for 1 hour and 46 minutes.

But "All is Lost" is a beautiful movie with a great performance by Robert Redford. The only actor in the movie. Well worth a watch if one likes slow moving movies that are nevertheless captivating.

Old 10-04-2022, 12:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times
The Warrior's Way
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1032751/?ref_=fn_al_tt_0

Pretty darn good movie. Sort of a combo of The Mandolin (but which came first?), Kung Fu, Shane, Beyond Thunderdome, Kill Bill, Painted Lady, Oblivion (1994), Red Sonja and probably a few others done in a Matrix surreal style. Now, one must understand that I see flicks here in the ranch house so movies about being on the frontier are in the perfect setting for me. A 9.2.

Old 10-04-2022, 04:35 AM

19,769 posts, read 20,344,317 times
ABC TV-Movie: When You Remember Me (1990) [Trailer + Full Movie]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFC8...ld3z&index=646

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100921...=tt_rvi_tt_i_3

Based on the life of Michael Patrick Smith, a young teen with muscular dystrophy, who filed a lawsuit in the early '70s that led to improved conditions for nursing home patients nationwide.

Starring Fred Savage, Ellen Burstyn, Kevin Spacey

"Mike Mills" is a teen with muscular dystrophy, whose destitute single mother placed him in a state nursing home at the age of 11, where he contends with being a young person in the clinic and with an abusive head nurse and staff. While Wade Blank (Spacey) started ADAPT, a grassroots national disability rights group in Denver in the 1980s.

~

This was a pretty good drama, kind of like 'One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest'...but starring Fred Savage.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:43 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,762,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Blakeley View Post
The Thing (1982) :

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084787/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

While this flick isn't at all in my line of taste as far as horror flicks go , it still happens to be a fairly good effort overall , even if it may be a bit underwhelming in delivery IMHO .

Obviously essential viewing for fans of John Carpenter .
I love this movie! One of the horror movies of my youth. Kurt Russell is awesome in this.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:46 AM

11,090 posts, read 6,979,414 times
I watched "Dog" yesterday. At first it was silly and I almost considered shutting it off. Then it got really good. REALLY good. A 9.0 for me, especially considering the background, and why Tatum wrote and starred in it. I love the way it honors military veterans. Will be watching it again.

Old 10-04-2022, 08:52 AM

2,993 posts, read 1,762,978 times
Saw "Last Seen Alive" a few nights ago. A drama/thriller starring Gerard Butler.

Nothing groundbreaking here, but a nice, short entertaining movie.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10242388/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies