Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2023, 07:50 AM

3,309 posts, read 3,048,733 times

Advertisements

Alfred Hitchcock's "Rope." Just keeps getting better and better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2023, 07:55 AM

1,608 posts, read 879,055 times
Oppenheimer

5 perforation 70mm presentation.

A very complex movie about a complex man who knew very complex people working on an extremely complex endeavor. Like all Nolan movies it plays with time a bit and the best way I can describe it is that it's a ribbon tied into a bow and Nolan is slowly pulling on it until it unravels and everything comes together. I'm still thinking about it two days later and want to watch it again now that I know how it comes together so that I can get more of the nuance it's layered with.

It's an extremely dialog heavy movie with very little "action" but yet is has a propulsive quality that belies its long run time. Fabulous performances all around, and of course the cinematography is yet another notch in Hoyte van Hoytema's belt.

Highly recommend, unless you hate Nolan or are offended by a few minutes of bare breasts. Florence Pugh is a beautiful woman and possibly the only woman who has ever been filmed nude with an IMAX film camera. The first scene of nudity is erotic in a very intellectual way. The 2nd and 3rd are much more psychological in nature, and total maybe 5 minutes of screen time.

Old 07-23-2023, 05:03 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,315,698 times
Tasting Menu (2014)

Bo-ring. I guess you'd call it a "foodie" movie, but it didn't really even deliver on that front. Pretty much all of the characters were unlikeable. The best part was the scenery (Spain).

Last edited by SeaOfGrass; 07-23-2023 at 05:13 PM..

Old 07-23-2023, 06:53 PM

11,845 posts, read 6,193,941 times
Holiday (1938)

4-stars. Solid movie.

Cary Grant and Kathryn Hepburn. Not as perfect as "the Philadelphia Story" which came 2 years later, but a very good movie in its own right. Cary Grant does just a knock out job of acting in the film. Terrific story about class and happiness. Great stories are universal and translate across time. This movie could be about someone struggling with the same expectations and demands today.

Great movie. Loved it.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:01 PM

11,845 posts, read 6,193,941 times
Dinner with Friends (2001)

Dennis Quaid, Greg Kinnear and Andie McDowell.

A gem of a movie. The acting was off the charts. It was like watching people, not characters.

The script was colossal. It felt like this was adapted from a play. The writing was absolutely top notch and flawless.

I don't know who directed the movie, but he got the best out of a great cast while moving the story along briskly. Just an absolute gem of a movie. For the subject matter, it never gets either deppressing or melodramtic. It successfully rides a fine line and you never lose sympathy for any of the characters.

4 Stars. Easily. Surprisingly good film.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Holiday (1938)

4-stars. Solid movie.

Cary Grant and Kathryn Hepburn. Not as perfect as "the Philadelphia Story" which came 2 years later, but a very good movie in its own right. Cary Grant does just a knock out job of acting in the film. Terrific story about class and happiness. Great stories are universal and translate across time. This movie could be about someone struggling with the same expectations and demands today.

Great movie. Loved it.
I don't believe I've ever seen it, and I'd definitely like to.

Old 07-23-2023, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Dinner with Friends (2001)

Dennis Quaid, Greg Kinnear and Andie McDowell.

A gem of a movie. The acting was off the charts. It was like watching people, not characters.

The script was colossal. It felt like this was adapted from a play. The writing was absolutely top notch and flawless.

I don't know who directed the movie, but he got the best out of a great cast while moving the story along briskly. Just an absolute gem of a movie. For the subject matter, it never gets either deppressing or melodramtic. It successfully rides a fine line and you never lose sympathy for any of the characters.

4 Stars. Easily. Surprisingly good film.
Thanks, sounds good too!

Old 07-23-2023, 10:43 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times
Blue Tornado
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101489/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Checked it out a few decades ago but finally got around to watching it completely which is a good thing. For its flying sequences of -104s, MRCAs, and a Kfir, it is excellent. For a Close Encounters flick, though, it is MEH....to terrible. But for communicating emotions, it is pretty decent.....it must have been the nostalgia of remembering when we were decades younger. If one can get into such things, it is a 6.5.

Old 07-24-2023, 09:12 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,093,585 times
The Prince of Thieves (1948)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040710/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

Good swash buckling Robin Hood. With this one, his gang of merry man is quite literally his own private army. In color, a 6.8.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:02 PM

3,759 posts, read 2,592,187 times
Stan Lee (2023)

Documentary on Marvel's Stan Lee. Mostly his professional life, but it does cover his childhood & marriage some. Also gives some love to Marvel's artist Jack Kirby, who my opinion: was a better artist than Lee was a writer, but that's not really the point of the movie. Tho it does touch on the Lee-Kirby relationship.

Generally I think Disney+ is lame, but this was a cool documentary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies