Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 11:41 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Go to newschannel5.com and type Hermitage in the search, you will see more come up regarding crime in that area than Antioch, especially with in the past year. So is that area so "Ghetto" or bad now?

Give it up. Except for a few a nice pockets, Antioch is a notorious DUMP. Everyone knows it. I knew it when I moved out of there. Put the race card down. It's overplayed and tired. If it makes you happy to keep telling yourself how wonderful Anitioch is, go right ahead and keep posting your dillusions. We need something to laugh at. That's all I need to say on the subject.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Give it up. Except for a few a nice pockets, Antioch is a notorious DUMP. Everyone knows it. I knew it when I moved out of there. Put the race card down. It's overplayed and tired. If it makes you happy to keep telling yourself how wonderful Anitioch is, go right ahead and keep posting your dillusions. We need something to laugh at. That's all I need to say on the subject.
Great!!! Say nothing else about Antioch, or any part of Nashville at that matter. U don't even live here but I'm so glad you had so many concers about a place you don't even live in, thats amazing! I know you have plenty to enjoy and to comment on about the city where you live. I'll be glad to post positive comments about your area! Thanks for all your comments about Antioch, you'll be missed tremendoulsy. All your comments have been such a great laugh as well!!!

Thanks! Gracias! How ever you want to put it, since we don't speak English in Antioch

Last edited by Antioch; 02-22-2010 at 12:07 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 03:07 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Go to newschannel5.com and type Hermitage in the search, you will see more come up regarding crime in that area than Antioch, especially with in the past year. So is that area so "Ghetto" or bad now?
Or try East Nashville....

Old 02-22-2010, 05:30 PM

909 posts, read 1,063,105 times
Look at the number of businesses that moved out of Hickory Hollow...once one of the busiest malls in the southeast U S. Didn't the police dept. put an office IN THE MALL because so may cars were being stolen, etc.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:46 PM

147 posts, read 334,455 times
I've lived in middle Tennessee my entire life, save 4.5 years for college, and I've never really considered Antioch particularly desirable, but I also never saw it as extremely dangerous. However, a few years ago I went to meet up with one of my buddies at the Hickory Hollow mall and a security officer asked me for my ID at the entrance. I asked him why, and he told me that he had to confirm I was 18 so I could enterl. Apparently, a few days before there were was a fight between rival gang members in the actual mall. Say what you will, but I really don't see that happening in Cool Springs or Green Hills.

I will also say this: I have a couple of friends that live in a condo off of Nolensville Rd and Old Hickory. I always see people on this forum saying to stay away from that area, but I have been over there countless times at all times of day and night and never once have I felt unsafe or seen anything shady going on. Maybe closer to the mall area is a bit worse, but I don't see anything wrong with Nolensville Road right there. I've also never heard of anybody referring to anything as Brentioch before reading this forum.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:54 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
I'll tell you coming from Florida about 4 months ago..i notice that Nashville isn't ready for diversity...or they just are overwhelmed here when they see 6 or 7 mexicans in one store..lol....i laugh when i look out the corner of my eye and see some of my own white people here in Nashville looking "starring" at the mexican family on isle 3 at Kroger..not everyone does it but where i moved from no one did it so that shows you that things are way different here than in other cities....it's way different here for me...i used to live in a town called Poinciana right before i came here and i lived all over Florida and in Texas, and California before too...and Poinciana where i lived we had about 18 houses on our street and there was one white family and the rest were Puerto Rican and there was a Jamaican family and 2 Haitian families...i talked to my neighbors alot there ..and when i headed to the Wal-mart over there it was lil Puert Rico too..but to me i fit in just fine ...i just didnt know spanish...but when i came here ..people told me to watch out for ms-13 and nolensville road cuz of all the mexicans..well yes i saw some mexicans but i have see way more whites over there than Mexicans driving around and the same goes for most stores i frequent around Nolensville rd...i am actually surprised to have a white face scanning my groceries sometimes now....and yeah i went to the Olive Garden with my tax refund the other nite to take my mom out...we saw a couple black people around but mostly whites were around so ...i guess it has more to do with the social class you came from onthe way you view a town....look at the whites that live in or go to Antioch all the time...u think they think its a crime infested place when they head over that way to shop or when they step out of thier apartment for some fresh air over there...its all about what u are used to and you shouldnt be ashamed to say you arent accustomed to diversity...people adapt over time...this is all new for Nashville in the past decade or so

Old 02-23-2010, 07:32 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I'll tell you coming from Florida about 4 months ago..i notice that Nashville isn't ready for diversity...
How wonderful that your 4 months of living in Nashville has made you an expert on our racial issues and society's willingness to accept diversity.

Nashville has been a hub for international immigrants for quite some time - Somalis, Kurds, and Hispanics are some of the ethnic groups with the largest populations here. As a TN native, I've never had a problem with anyone due to their skin color or ethnicity. If I'm staring at a particular family in the grocery store, it's probably because they're acting like idiots out in public and that behaviour caries across to everyone - blacks, whites, Latinos, whatever.

Hickory Hollow used to be a nice mall but it began a very steep decline about 10 years ago. I used to take my then 6 month old daughter to Gymboree classes at HH back in 2001. In the beginning everything was fine, but after a year or so, large groups of young blacks - who should have been in school - started trolling the mall and would spread out across the entire span of the walkway, refusing to let non-blacks pass, especially if they were white. On many occasions as I was pushing my young daughter in the stroller I was called ‘honky’ and heard nasty comments made about me as I passed and I witnessed the same behavior toward elderly whites who used the mall to walk, as well. After a short while, I stopped attempting to shop in the mall after Gymboree class and decided to just let my daughter play in the then new soft play area by the food court. That didn’t last long as it was overrun by Hispanics who let their obviously overage kids run rampant, creating an unsafe environment for the play area’s target ages of 3 and under. 14 year old kids were running and jumping and tearing up a place designated for very young toddlers and when I asked them to stop, they conveniently knew no English and continued on with the destructive behavior. On a couple of occasions I sought the assistance from mall security who was largely ineffective because they just didn’t seem to care. These brats were loud, too - yelling to friends from one floor to the next, hooting and hollering and creating a very disturbing environment with language I didn't care to be exposed to. I stopped going to Hickory Hollow soon after and have been back maybe twice in the past 8 years

I’m sorry to see Antioch decline so rapidly, but it’s the behavior and content of the character of the vocal majority that have brought about the reputation. Maybe if politicians and society would demand accountability and exact higher standards of behavior from its residents the reputation would improve. All I see are excuses, by council members, parents, educators, etc. accusing others of “white flight” and fear of diversity. Frankly, I’d rather live and shop where I don’t have to worry about being hassled and where rules and standards of conduct are enforced. Right now, that certainly isn’t the Antioch area as a whole.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:36 AM

71 posts, read 202,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Hickory Hollow used to be a nice mall but it began a very steep decline about 10 years ago. I used to take my then 6 month old daughter to Gymboree classes at HH back in 2001. In the beginning everything was fine, but after a year or so, large groups of young blacks - who should have been in school - started trolling the mall ...

decided to just let my daughter play in the then new soft play area by the food court. That didn’t last long as it was overrun by Hispanics who let their obviously overage kids run rampant, creating an unsafe environment for the play area’s target ages of 3 and under. 14 year old kids were running and jumping and tearing up a place designated for very young toddlers and when I asked them to stop, they conveniently knew no English and continued on with the destructive behavior. On a couple of occasions I sought the assistance from mall security who was largely ineffective because they just didn’t seem to care. These brats were loud, too - yelling to friends from one floor to the next, hooting and hollering and creating a very disturbing environment with language I didn't care to be exposed to. ...Right now, that certainly isn’t the Antioch area as a whole.
Same experience in same time frame... daughter in gymboree in/around 2001 ... same experiences with the trolls at the mall, then got worse... couldnt play in the soft playground for same reasons... You summed up the mall well.

Fortunately, now Childrens Place is gone, and pretty soon it will all go a new way... The mall is pretty much dead and only going downhill more and more and being abandoned for the RIGHT reasons.... its just not fast enough for anyone.

So, that being said, I dont have a 100% problem with Antioch at all. Look at places like Belmont Blvd where one street over its still "questionable" and then the next street is not....

Anyway, we were looking at houses in the STANFORD VILLAGE subdivision on Barnes Road in Antioch. Does anyone have comments on that neighborhood?

Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 AM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Hickory Hollow used to be a nice mall but it began a very steep decline about 10 years ago......

I’m sorry to see Antioch decline so rapidly....
You do know that Antioch extends slightly beyond the confines of the mall don't you? I'm sure it was much different 10 years ago, as I'm sure many places were, but there are safe and very nice areas in the Antioch zip code.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:52 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
You do know that Antioch extends slightly beyond the confines of the mall don't you? I'm sure it was much different 10 years ago, as I'm sure many places were, but there are safe and very nice areas in the Antioch zip code.
Obviously. You have heard of the phrase "It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bushel" haven't you? Parts of Antioch are fine but the reputation of the area as a whole is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville