Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:49 AM

815 posts, read 2,018,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YallWantHam View Post
I've lived in middle Tennessee my entire life, save 4.5 years for college, and I've never really considered Antioch particularly desirable, but I also never saw it as extremely dangerous. However, a few years ago I went to meet up with one of my buddies at the Hickory Hollow mall and a security officer asked me for my ID at the entrance. I asked him why, and he told me that he had to confirm I was 18 so I could enterl. Apparently, a few days before there were was a fight between rival gang members in the actual mall. Say what you will, but I really don't see that happening in Cool Springs or Green Hills.

I will also say this: I have a couple of friends that live in a condo off of Nolensville Rd and Old Hickory. I always see people on this forum saying to stay away from that area, but I have been over there countless times at all times of day and night and never once have I felt unsafe or seen anything shady going on. Maybe closer to the mall area is a bit worse, but I don't see anything wrong with Nolensville Road right there. I've also never heard of anybody referring to anything as Brentioch before reading this forum.
Who told you there was a gang fight??? Where you at Opry Mills?

Old 02-23-2010, 10:56 AM

147 posts, read 334,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
Who told you there was a gang fight??? Where you at Opry Mills?
The security guard at the entrance to the mall told me that. No, it was at Hickory Hollow off Bell Road near I-24

Old 02-23-2010, 11:01 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,523 times
As a mater of fact, I *was* called other, not polite words in addition to 'honky' but didn't feel the need to expound on them here. And no, I was no more trying to ram thru them in fear than were the elderly people who were just keeping to themselves who were also targeted. Despicable behavior no matter the color of one's skin. I have a very diverse circle of friends and don't get "freaked out" by large groups of any ethnicity as long as they're not acting like thugs; screaming and swearing and just generally being stupid and trashy.

And, if you had paid attention to my entire post you would have seen where I did try to speak to the Latinos - kids and parents - at the play area and they pretended to not understand English. I did find somewhere else to play as did many other patrons of Hickory Hollow - that's why it's a ghost town. Duh!

Old 02-23-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Do Antioch a hudge favor, worry about your own town, Murfreesboro... Hummm, wan't there a murder in Murfreesboro just yesturday??? Think so, but like you said, only takes one bad apple to spoil the bushel, so I guess the reputation of Murfreesboro is not to good now...
Yep, Murfreesboro sucks. Please no one move here because it has such a horrid reputation with bad neighborhoods and empty malls and such...

BTW, I used to live in Antioch, too, out on Ocala and off Haywood Lane. Guess that gives me as much right to comment on the area as the next person.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
As a mater of fact, I *was* called other, not polite words in addition to 'honky' but didn't feel the need to expound on them here. And no, I was no more trying to ram thru them in fear than were the elderly people who were just keeping to themselves who were also targeted. Despicable behavior no matter the color of one's skin. I have a very diverse circle of friends and don't get "freaked out" by large groups of any ethnicity as long as they're not acting like thugs; screaming and swearing and just generally being stupid and trashy.

And, if you had paid attention to my entire post you would have seen where I did try to speak to the Latinos - kids and parents - at the play area and they pretended to not understand English. I did find somewhere else to play as did many other patrons of Hickory Hollow - that's why it's a ghost town. Duh!
So they were targeting you and the elderly people? Usually gangs, or even if they weren't gangs, target other gangs, or other groups of young people. Thats so sad you all happend to be the target that day. Don't know what was going on... So sad to hear...
Guess the other elderly people who acually still go to the mall and live in the retirement towers across from the mall must be in gangs too, cause they seem to be quite fine in the area..

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
You must have missed the part where she said she tried to talk to their parents to no avail. And do you really expect people to just leave a certain area if another person or group is using it improperly? That's not how society should work. The people in the wrong are the ones that should be forced to correct themselves. Maybe that's the kind of mentality that allows these people to keep doing what they are.
Absolutely. Urban flight of all colors occurs when society fails to demand standards of behavior from its people. Soon only the troublemakers remain surrounded by empty storefronts and then they're off to find a new place to ruin. The same thing happens at Stones River Mall in M'boro but security there actually enforces the rules and offenders are made to leave.

Quote:
And I know it's hard to believe, but there are racist people of all skin color. I don't think her story is so hard to believe. I've been called "cracker" before, and as you said, it's not something I was expecting to be called by a young person. It wasn't insulting so much as I don't know why someone would say that to me.
Guess he also missed vespula's post stating they experienced the same thing I did during the same time frame. And yeah, I was called 'cracker' too. Bothersome, but more so because I had a young child with me and my duty was to protect her from this kind of crap and negative atmosphere while she was very little.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 AM

147 posts, read 334,501 times
Why do you refuse to believe that this stuff happens at Hickory Hollow mall? Here are some reviews of it by other people: http://www.yelp.com/biz/hickory-hollow-mall-antioch.

There is one semi favorable review there out of 8. Anyway, believe what you want.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So they were targeting you and the elderly people? Usually gangs, or even if they weren't gangs, target other gangs, or other groups of young people. Thats so sad you all happend to be the target that day. Don't know what was going on... So sad to hear...
Guess the other elderly people who acually still go to the mall and live in the retirement towers across from the mall must be in gangs too, cause they seem to be quite fine in the area..
It was very sad, indeed. How pathetic their lives must be and how huge that chip on their shoulder to feel the need to degrade white mothers with young children and elderly white people just because they felt like it? Sad, hollow, worthless states of existence. Just as pathetic as when whites do it to blacks.

Again, in case you missed it, here's a quote from someone else in this very thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespula View Post
Same experience in same time frame... daughter in gymboree in/around 2001 ... same experiences with the trolls at the mall, then got worse... couldnt play in the soft playground for same reasons... You summed up the mall well.
And for the record, *you* called them gangs, sweetie. I described them as large groups of black youths. Are you racist or something?

Old 02-23-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
It was very sad, indeed. How pathetic their lives must be and how huge that chip on their shoulder to feel the need to degrade white mothers with young children and elderly white people just because they felt like it? Sad, hollow, worthless states of existence. Just as pathetic as when whites do it to blacks.

Again, in case you missed it, here's a quote from someone else in this very thread:

And for the record, *you* called them gangs, sweetie. I described them as large groups of black youths. Are you racist or something?
I said weather they are gangs or not, didn't refer to them as "gangs". However you did refer to them as a "large group of black youth" why couldn't they had just been refered to as shoppers??? How did color even come into this topic? We were discussing diversity, that can be anything. You keep bringing color into it so...

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM

This needs to be another post because everyone is getting way off topic... It needs to be in a topic called how racist are you really..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville