Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:05 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
I said weather they are gangs or not, didn't refer to them as "gangs". However you did refer to them as a "large group of black youth" why couldn't they had just been refered to as shoppers??? How did color even come into this topic? We were discussing diversity, that can be anything. You keep bringing color into it so...
Because a group of white youths wouldn't have called me racist names. It's kinda stupid to dance around and shy away from discussing skin color when it is obviously central to the issue. "White flight" "urban" "ghetto" - all ways of talking about race without being direct. At least I'm calling it what it is with no apologies.

It's sad that skin color *does* take a central role when it's the behaviour (content of the character?) of the demographic causing problems.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:39 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary_Moon View Post
Because a group of white youths wouldn't have called me racist names. It's kinda stupid to dance around and shy away from discussing skin color when it is obviously central to the issue. "White flight" "urban" "ghetto" - all ways of talking about race without being direct. At least I'm calling it what it is with no apologies.

It's sad that skin color *does* take a central role when it's the behaviour (content of the character?) of the demographic causing problems.
Oh, so "Ghetto and Urban" are race related? What race do you attach to Ghetto? Urban? What about surban what race is that, or rural?

And you're also admitting that race is the issue with Antioch? You feel that the blacks in Antioch are racist?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:49 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Quote:
Obviously. You have heard of the phrase "It only takes one bad apple to spoil the bushel" haven't you? Parts of Antioch are fine but the reputation of the area as a whole is not good.
The reputation is not good as a whole because people trash the entire zip code as a whole because of a few bad areas. It's almost as if there is a hate Antioch club that actually wants to see it decline into a war zone. You're just buying into the hype because you had a bad experience at the mall. If you looked at the Nashville Metro area objectively, you'd see that there are much worse areas that people recommend here all the time.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:02 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
The reputation is not good as a whole because people trash the entire zip code as a whole because of a few bad areas. It's almost as if there is a hate Antioch club that actually wants to see it decline into a war zone. You're just buying into the hype because you had a bad experience at the mall. If you looked at the Nashville Metro area objectively, you'd see that there are much worse areas that people recommend here all the time.

Exactally, it is if they want everybody to be criminals in Antioch, however they know it is not so they keep trying their hardest to trash it. For whatever reason I don't know, they claim its not diversity, but at this point IDK. And as far as Little Miss Mary Moon's experience at the Mall, I think it is a bit exagerated... How much you want to bet... She'd better be glad she wasn't at Green Hills the day the elderly man got robbed and locked in his trunk by 3 White teens...would have been a lot worse...could have been her in the trunk, OMG! Horrible to think about whats going on out at Green Hills..
Good thing she wasn't at the Oakland vs. Riverdale football playoff game back in November when a shooting occured, would have been terrible. Good Ole Murfreesboro, is it the "Hood" now?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:33 PM

71 posts, read 202,535 times
Hickory Hollow is the most dying mall in Davidson county and for good and well-deserved reasons. Even the Antioch residents admit that. You cannot stop progress and progress is happening, and in a positive way and truthfully you cannot even call it a mall anymore IMO.

Its going the way of 100 oaks. I can only hope Vanderbilt buys it out and makes it a medical center too.

I wont even eat the food in that area because of the substandard unpredictable quality. Olivia Garden is the nicest thing they have going (and that makes a statement) but its overpriced for what you get and not consistent enough either. Outback can ruin a steak like no one else... the rest are all just poor quality.

I dont expect the fast food places to be anything other than breeding ground for germs. Their customers dont demand cleanliness and the managements dont, so at least if you eat there you know you are building up your immune system.

So without decent food and without a mall, its just a teenage wasteland. We live 3 miles from HH (37217) and like Applebees, for example, and we drive to Nippers Corner because the quality is SO much better. Outback at Hermitage is much better. We avoid everything that is in HH mall, as do anyone we know... anything to contribute to the progress and demise of HH and moving to the next phase of that area should be encouraged.

But as been stated many times, Antioch is a LARGE zipcode. There are plenty of good folks and fine neighborhoods in Antioch but its definitely not for everyone. And HH should not define the area, and anyone with common sense knows its a cancerous tumor on an otherwise healthy area IMO. Just like a body has pains and areas of weakness in its health at time, it doesnt make the person bad.

I don't understand why Antioch (the person on this thread) feels such the need to discredit others experiences as if they didnt happen... they did, they do, and Antioch (the area) has to own up to its tumors and we all have to live with them until progress catches up.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:11 PM

147 posts, read 334,416 times
Quote:
Exactally, it is if they want everybody to be criminals in Antioch, however they know it is not so they keep trying their hardest to trash it. For whatever reason I don't know, they claim its not diversity, but at this point IDK. And as far as Little Miss Mary Moon's experience at the Mall, I think it is a bit exagerated... How much you want to bet... She'd better be glad she wasn't at Green Hills the day the elderly man got robbed and locked in his trunk by 3 White teens...would have been a lot worse...could have been her in the trunk, OMG! Horrible to think about whats going on out at Green Hills..
Good thing she wasn't at the Oakland vs. Riverdale football playoff game back in November when a shooting occured, would have been terrible. Good Ole Murfreesboro, is it the "Hood" now?
Why does everything have to be about race? You are the one fixated on race, this is like the third time in this thread alone you have brought it up.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:29 PM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
Quote:
I've lived in middle Tennessee my entire life and in the heart of Antioch for about 5. I'm not basing my opinion of the area on a few bad mall outings - it's borne out of long-term personal experience. I remember when the mall first opened and it's heyday in the 80's just as clearly as I remember what I had for breakfast this morning so don't patronize me as someone buying into hype and attemptimg to perpetrate a myth here. I'm not the Nashville newbie.

You seemed to share this overall negative opinion of Antioch as a whole, rossc, did you not? Did the area undergo a revitilization in the past few months that we're not aware of or is your own small area of town still the only Antioch address you'd consider living in? As you stated, Antioch covers a huge area and your little haven is just a smidge on the map.

Quote:
We're 1/4 mile off of Smith Springs Rd and about a 1/2 mile from Bell Rd (towards the lake) and we are in Nashville. An Antioch address wouldn't have turned us off. It's not the Antioch that everyone talks about. That small group of neighborhoods near the lake is the only Antioch address we would ever consider.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,788,402 times
Quote:
Yall people are ridiculous...So are you saying that the Black people in Antioch are predjuice? You were called a Honky??? That is not even terminology that young black youth even use... If they were going to call you something it would have been a 4 letter word that is worse than Honky... Try being a nice looking, well educated black or mexican walking through a store in Green Hills, Rivergate, or any other less diverse area and see how it feels to not be spoken to, or maybe you choose to have more of an urban appeal to your dressing you are watched as soon as you walk in the door, you may even security to area ***, the area you are in. This happens all the time at Rivergate, where I work. Just because someone black and young comes in the store they just swear they are going to steal, when in reality they need to be focused on the "average" looking white woman who may be stealing over in the corner, but she's the "average" so no eyes would be on her... As far as the problems that occured in Hickory Hollow, more than 3 years ago, were caused when the store Phat Kap, which is no longer in the mall, would hold Rap concerts in center court, or would have autograph signings in there store by Titans Football players or Rappers. Those events would attact young people from all over Nashville, not just young people from Antioch. So it is not fair to blame everything that happened at that mall, usually during those events, on the people living in Antioch... Since that store has moved out of the mall and no concerts are held at the mall the young people do not hang out there anymore, they go to Opry Mills. You can not tell me you see young "Black Boys" being rude in that mall the way you described it... Did you like try and ram your stroller through them and nearly run over them due to ur being so nervous and freaked out that you see so many "Black people", is that it??? And as far as the Mexicans playing in the play area if you had a problem with it so be it, take your kids somewhere else to play, or if you wanted to stay you could have nicely asked their parents to have their child stop what ever you thought their child was doing wrong. Otherwise let them do them... This city is so not open to diversity...
Btw, No part of Nolensville Rd. is Antioch..
i agree with u for the most part...Honky isn't something teens say..lol..and if anyone has been rude in my time up here out of every kind of people i walk by in public....it's gotta be young white women out here..they seem to think they're "all that" ...i was walking through cool springs mall killing time before a job interview today and i passed by a lot of young cute looking white women from ages between 20-35 and they are too caught up into themselves to even say hi back to someone who is being polite as they pass by...if i come close to almost bumping someone i'll say "how u doin" or "sorry", but i got no responses back from anyone in my 2 hours of killing time getting applications while waiting for my main interview....i cleared out of the way to let one go by because my motto is ladies first but this girl gave me a "i'm too good to say thanks look" and moved right along....well i have a picture posted up on here and i know i aint that ugly.....lol...maybe a lil but da$!....so it must be that the white women out here are just rude unless you are in their lil circle or unless u have a lot of money or own a old beat up pick-up truck.....as for antioch it's all about what you grew up knowing i guess.....and it seems most haters of Antioch have either never lived in a real ghetto....or just can't undderstand people that are from other cultures

Old 02-23-2010, 09:30 PM

957 posts, read 3,699,977 times
Quote:
You seemed to share this overall negative opinion of Antioch as a whole, rossc, did you not? Did the area undergo a revitilization in the past few months that we're not aware of or is your own small area of town still the only Antioch address you'd consider living in? As you stated, Antioch covers a huge area and your little haven is just a smidge on the map.
I DO NOT think the entire Antioch area is bad. I think the area near the lake is the best, but not the only nice area. There are lots of nice, safe areas that I would not consider living in. For starters, I wouldn't live anywhere near an apartment complex or group of rental homes, regardless of the town.

I could really care less if you want to trash any area in it's entirety. Not everyone can afford to live in Brentwood or the west side. Thousands of people manage to live in Antioch with no problems. All I'm saying is that when you tell someone not to consider the entire zip code, you are eliminating some nice areas with affordable homes from their search.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:58 AM

71 posts, read 202,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
i was walking through cool springs mall killing time before a job interview today and i passed by a lot of young cute looking white women from ages between 20-35 and they are too caught up into themselves to even say hi back to someone who is being polite as they pass by...
You were basically acting like a mall troll and got called out on it.

Quote:
if i come close to almost bumping someone i'll say "how u doin" or "sorry", but i got no responses back from anyone in my 2 hours of killing time getting applications while waiting for my main interview....i cleared out of the way to let one go by because my motto is ladies first but this girl gave me a "i'm too good to say thanks look" and moved right along....
2 hours of killing time bumping and talking to 'white women' you dont know? Mall troll again.

Quote:
.so it must be that the white women out here are just rude unless you are in their lil circle or unless u have a lot of money or own a old beat up pick-up truck.....
any area has 'circles' or cliques and thats the way it is. You were basically a predator to them looking for something... people are not stupid in general and don't know you from a rapist or serial killer.... sorry but thats the way it is. You are completely insecure.

Quote:
as for antioch it's all about what you grew up knowing i guess.....and it seems most haters of Antioch have either never lived in a real ghetto....or just can't undderstand people that are from other cultures
Apparently you have lived in a real ghetto... Your actions and behavior to people in the mall may be stereotypical of someone who has... either way your post is completely juvenile. People want to be left alone and are not there to be harassed for your amusement while you wait for your interview.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville