Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 03:12 PM

71 posts, read 202,646 times

Advertisements

The hickory hollow mall is the black eye of antioch. Its aweful and cannot wait for the day something takes it over. Anchor stores have left thankfully and its slowing going away. Too slowly.

Maybe Vandy will buy it like they did 100 oaks and make it a medical center.... and maybe more church's will come in like Lakeshore Christian did taking over MediaPlay... its a matter of time.... but it will be a while.

Antioch DOES have good neighborhoods with great people. It is a BIG zip code and so to say ALL of 37013 is bad, is just an overstated generalization. Its much easier to buy 37027 and not do your homework... to buy 37013 you need to do your homework, and you will save money in the process.

Many of them that are nicer in 37013 are south of Old Hickory blvd closer to brentwood/willliamson county. For example, the Barnes Road area with all the many subdivisions being built between Nol rd and OHB.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,232 times
I would like to chime in... Antioch is definitely NOT the place for average, law-abiding, ordinary Americans. By pure naivete, I moved to Antioch from small town Wisconsin in 2005 because of the attractive (low) home prices and lived there for almost 2 years and it was certainly a culture shock to say the least. Getting out was one of the best decisions I've ever made, heh. It's the only place I've ever lived where I actually felt isolated as an American! My neighbors on both sides were Hispanics whom I could barely communicate with, one of those houses I'm fairly sure drugs were being dealt out of based on simple observation and obvious clues. The other house entertained ridiculously loud marichi music and loud parties ON WEEKDAYS that kept me awake sometimes until 2:30 am! I called the police about it, was told an officer would be sent by, over 2 hours passed, nothing, the party continued... on a TUESDAY NIGHT! My neighbors across the street, whom I thought were white Americans the first time I saw them out, were from Ukraine, spoke horrible English, were some of the rudest nastiest neighbors I've ever had. The man apparently didn't work and sat on the porch all day drinking and smoking. Anytime I tried to smile and wave at him, he just sneered and scowled at me. They constantly let their little kid run loose in the street unattended with nothing but a diaper on. These people were sketchy as hell. At all hours of the morning, day and night (nearly every damn day) this one guy that didn't even live there would always show up dressed in combat fatigue with Ukrainian flag patches and whatnot on them and go inside, few minutes later he'd leave... at least 5 or more times he left carrying huge rifles, other times I saw him walking to his car counting a hand full of cash (who knows what went on there?!). The other neighbors were from Vietnam and probably the best behaved of the bunch, pretty nice compared to the rest of em too! Can't really say much bad about them except for the time they tried to start up a damn chicken farm in their backyard (all in a dense residential neighborhood)! Metro codes actually put an end to that, thankfully.

In short, again, if you're an average, ordinary American DO NOT MOVE TO ANTIOCH! However, if you prefer to be surrounded by hordes of rude immigrants, criminals and people that you can't even speak English to Antioch is the place to be.

Old 07-31-2009, 07:31 AM

6 posts, read 19,479 times
ok so i've lived in Antioch for a while now an i can tell u the real deal...antioch is not bad. Yes there area bad areas, as with any other place you live in, but don't be fooled by the posters on here who make it sound like you will get shot the moment you set foot in the area. its not like that at all. since i've been here i have heard of no shootings, deaths, or killings..and they certainly weren't at my front door. what i will say is antioch has a high concentration of african american and hispanics...but that doesn't make it bad, ghetto, or hood as some people like to say. antioch's bad rap has been from stuff in the past, but def not from what i've seen now. On top of being diverse alot of recent grads as well as young families live in the area. what i like about antioch is everything is convenient you are right off of both i-40,24 and a 10 minutes away from i-65, and pretty much 15 minutes from downtown ( i work downtown and i know the route well) as well as 15-30 minutes away from murfreesboro, smyrna and lavergne.

since i've been in nashville, i have found that any area with diversity ( and by diversity i mean a high concentration of african american, hispanics, and other non-white ethnicities, have been dubbed ghetto...even though crime in the greeh hills area ( especially around the mall has risen) not to mention the traffic is terrible that way...

most of the anitoch dissenters have never lived here mush less visited...most are from the vandy/green hills/belmont/brentwood-franklin area and they rarely have personal experince to back up their claim...i'm not saying all- but most

heres the deal you will get the most for your money in this area...i live in an apartment in a planned community right on the golf course any my rent is 625...you can find brand new developments, especially townhomes for rent for as little as 800/month...now i am not knocking any other community but trust me when i tell you that your rent/mortage will be considerably more and you won't be necessarily "living large"...you are in fact paying for the name/area...sucks but its true

to sum it up Antioch has its good parts and its bad parts..my advice is to use discretion wherever u move

Old 07-31-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarr82 View Post
I would like to chime in... Antioch is definitely NOT the place for average, law-abiding, ordinary Americans. By pure naivete, I moved to Antioch from small town Wisconsin in 2005 because of the attractive (low) home prices and lived there for almost 2 years and it was certainly a culture shock to say the least. Getting out was one of the best decisions I've ever made, heh. It's the only place I've ever lived where I actually felt isolated as an American! My neighbors on both sides were Hispanics whom I could barely communicate with, one of those houses I'm fairly sure drugs were being dealt out of based on simple observation and obvious clues. The other house entertained ridiculously loud marichi music and loud parties ON WEEKDAYS that kept me awake sometimes until 2:30 am! I called the police about it, was told an officer would be sent by, over 2 hours passed, nothing, the party continued... on a TUESDAY NIGHT! My neighbors across the street, whom I thought were white Americans the first time I saw them out, were from Ukraine, spoke horrible English, were some of the rudest nastiest neighbors I've ever had. The man apparently didn't work and sat on the porch all day drinking and smoking. Anytime I tried to smile and wave at him, he just sneered and scowled at me. They constantly let their little kid run loose in the street unattended with nothing but a diaper on. These people were sketchy as hell. At all hours of the morning, day and night (nearly every damn day) this one guy that didn't even live there would always show up dressed in combat fatigue with Ukrainian flag patches and whatnot on them and go inside, few minutes later he'd leave... at least 5 or more times he left carrying huge rifles, other times I saw him walking to his car counting a hand full of cash (who knows what went on there?!). The other neighbors were from Vietnam and probably the best behaved of the bunch, pretty nice compared to the rest of em too! Can't really say much bad about them except for the time they tried to start up a damn chicken farm in their backyard (all in a dense residential neighborhood)! Metro codes actually put an end to that, thankfully.

In short, again, if you're an average, ordinary American DO NOT MOVE TO ANTIOCH! However, if you prefer to be surrounded by hordes of rude immigrants, criminals and people that you can't even speak English to Antioch is the place to be.
This is a reflection on YOUR poor choice of address, not on Antioch as a whole. That sounds aweful but one bad street does not a bad zip code make.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,032,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvuyla View Post
antioch's bad rap has been from stuff in the past, but def not from what i've seen now.
Antioch is getting worse every year, not better.

Old 07-31-2009, 05:18 PM

2 posts, read 3,232 times
I didn't even mention the countless robberies at gun point at local groceries, restaurant parking lots and in nearby apartment complexes that seemed to happen so frequently they weren't even news worthy. I didn't mention the woman down the street that had her house broken into TWICE in less than about 6 months or the man found dead, shot execution style in the back of the head in some woods behind a local apartment complex or the countless home invasions that dominated news for a while. The list goes on and on and could fill a book. These are just random, more serious things that stuck in my mind.
Quote:
since i've been in nashville, i have found that any area with diversity ( and by diversity i mean a high concentration of african american, hispanics, and other non-white ethnicities, have been dubbed ghetto...
I hope you're not implying that I'm personally racist. I would've given an arm and leg for decent African American or any "non-white" neighbors when I lived there. Ironically my worst neighbors, the ones who appeared to be involved in the most serious criminal activity, were "white" Eastern European immigrants from Ukraine. They were as pale and "white" as it comes (more pale than most white Americans even), you wouldn't be able to physically pick them out of a crowd of "white Americans" and I'm practically certain were involved in organized crime and God knows what, were rude, nasty and probably illegally in the US. It's not about race to me, it's about the quality of the person. My observations told me that not only my neighborhood but the entire community on average seemed to be a safe haven for criminals of all types and (most likely) illegal immigrants.

Of course, everyone and everything in Antioch isn't the way that I or other 'dissenters' paint it because we are only highlighting the negative aspects... which seemed to outweigh any positives in my experience. But the reality that I experienced in everyday life there out in the community making observations would say that a disproportionate faction of the broader community are either a part of the problem or apathetic to it. And again, Metro crime maps and statistics support the claim that Antioch remains one of the highest crime zip codes in Metro. If someone chooses to live there and doesn't mind the 'quality of life' that's accepttable there, more power to them. I came away completely unscatched. Still doesn't mean I'd ever choose to live there again.

Last edited by JBarr82; 07-31-2009 at 05:20 PM.. Reason: add details, correct spelling

Old 08-03-2009, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 6,349 times
Quote:
ok so i've lived in Antioch for a while now an i can tell u the real deal...antioch is not bad. Yes there area bad areas, as with any other place you live in, but don't be fooled by the posters on here who make it sound like you will get shot the moment you set foot in the area. its not like that at all. since i've been here i have heard of no shootings, deaths, or killings..and they certainly weren't at my front door. what i will say is antioch has a high concentration of african american and hispanics...but that doesn't make it bad, ghetto, or hood as some people like to say. antioch's bad rap has been from stuff in the past, but def not from what i've seen now. On top of being diverse alot of recent grads as well as young families live in the area. what i like about antioch is everything is convenient you are right off of both i-40,24 and a 10 minutes away from i-65, and pretty much 15 minutes from downtown ( i work downtown and i know the route well) as well as 15-30 minutes away from murfreesboro, smyrna and lavergne.

since i've been in nashville, i have found that any area with diversity ( and by diversity i mean a high concentration of african american, hispanics, and other non-white ethnicities, have been dubbed ghetto...even though crime in the greeh hills area ( especially around the mall has risen) not to mention the traffic is terrible that way...

most of the anitoch dissenters have never lived here mush less visited...most are from the vandy/green hills/belmont/brentwood-franklin area and they rarely have personal experince to back up their claim...i'm not saying all- but most

heres the deal you will get the most for your money in this area...i live in an apartment in a planned community right on the golf course any my rent is 625...you can find brand new developments, especially townhomes for rent for as little as 800/month...now i am not knocking any other community but trust me when i tell you that your rent/mortage will be considerably more and you won't be necessarily "living large"...you are in fact paying for the name/area...sucks but its true

to sum it up Antioch has its good parts and its bad parts..my advice is to use discretion wherever u move
How can you say Antioch is not bad, when you have to put a police precinct in the mall. All the stores have gone and left that place with is... as chris rock says "sneakers and baby clothes". What about all the illegal immagrants? The last time I went to a club it happened to be in Antioch (which i didnt want to go in the first place) Everybody was frisked at the door for drugs and guns. The schools suck! There are certain roads that have vidoe cameras because of crime. Gas stations even close at early times now because of crime. I grew up there and it is has changed tremendously for the worse. I wouldnt call it the ghetto, but it is definately bad news

Old 08-04-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBarr82 View Post
Metro crime maps and statistics support the claim that Antioch remains one of the highest crime zip codes in Metro.
Where exactly does it rank? Can you be more specific? and with some proof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbaker45
How can you say Antioch is not bad, when you have to put a police precinct in the mall.
Last time I checked Antioch was not just the mall. 37013 is quite a large zip code. But I guess you would watch the news about Crowley and conclude all white's are racists too.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:19 PM

63 posts, read 280,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vespula View Post
Where exactly does it rank? Can you be more specific? and with some proof?
http://www.police.nashville.org/docs/stats/2008_Annual_UCR_by_Zipcode.pdf (broken link)

Looks like it's #3 just behind 37207 (North Nashville) and 37211 (Nolensville Rd/Harding Rd area, which is right next to 37013).

So yeah, crime is certainly up there in Antioch, but to be fair it is a pretty big zip code.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:50 AM

215 posts, read 682,245 times
I think for zip code 37207 you meant to say East/Northeast Nashville not quite North Nashville unless you go into the Haynes neighborhhod next to zip code 37218 Bordeaux because when you watch the news they will call much of zip code 37207 North Nashville but it's really more rather east and northeast.I myself am a resident who lives in that zip code and I can tell you any crime problems there seem to be improving just like with the other East Nashville zip codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville