Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 05:53 PM

49 posts, read 141,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurse vida the grape View Post
Hi.. we had fallen in love with a home and were ready to make an offer but after reading your posts we're not so sure. The house is out on the Anderson Rd penninsula that extends into priest lake. the zip is 37217... the area seemed ok, but is it? Too close to a bad neighborhood? We have two little kids and are planning to homeschool them, but don't want to be somewhere dangerous.
Please let me know your thoughts!
Hello,

I can certainly understand your hesitation and you are smart to do your homework, especially with two children. As a realtor, I am not at liberty to talk about crime, areas, schools, etc., as I can be in violation of "steering laws concerning Fair Housing". I would look at several websites and talk to any family or friends you may be close to in the area that live here currently (some areas have greatly declined for many reasons, pretty quickly over the years). Some good websites are the chamber of commerce, this city-data site concerning demographics, greatschools.net, etc. Even though you will be homeschooling, the greatschools.net is a good way to see what parents are saying about the areas in general (very comprehensive school site). Some residents in parts of Antioch ended up getting their area named differently as "Cane Ridge" because they were unhappy with being associated with the name "Antioch" any longer. I am all about the resale! Resale is one factor I think is important to focus on when representing any buyer, and sometimes unfortunately crime and resale can go hand in hand. If you are going to be spending thousands on a home, you will hopefully want to protect your investment and really do your research or have your buyers' agent go into depth (very detailed) on that before you jump into a decision. However, there is only so much us realtors can do about this, so what we can do is look up the trends in certain neighborhoods relating to depreciation vs. appreciation. In general, I have seen that most neighborhoods (or possibly nearby) that have lots of rentals, go downhill. There are ways to find the rental vs. homeowner stats, etc. Everyone has an opinion on what each area is like, but not everyone has near the same level of expectation of what they consider safe or enjoyable in an area. I wouldn't rely just on public forums where you don't really know the people. Antioch has been hard hit concerning foreclosures and short sales. I can tell you that much. Hope this helps some. Good luck and blessings for you and your family!

Old 02-18-2010, 04:33 PM

39 posts, read 76,463 times
If resale matters at all to you, avoid Antioch. People see the 37013 zip code and run. I almost built a home off of Old Hickory Blvd. in Antioch (about as close to Rutherford County as you can get, and still be in Antioch), and thankfully changed my mind. While new neighborhoods look appealing, it's only a matter of time before they go downhill like the rest of them. They basically give houses away there!

Old 02-19-2010, 07:15 AM

764 posts, read 2,549,250 times
My Dad used to be a housing appraiser and he always disliked Antioch because of the quality of construction and the element of people the area attracted most, even way back in the late 70's and early 80's. The recent downfall of Antioch is nothing new - it was just an inevitable event that was delayed by the short-term success of Hickory Hollow Mall and other surrounding commercial development. Back when hubby and I got married in '95, Dad offered to buy us a starter home and the only caveat was 'anywhere but Antioch.' Always said he'd never invest a dime there and it turns out he was exactly right.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:58 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalucky View Post
Some posts make it sound like a crime ridden marginal community, while others have included it in their short list of desirable areas to live in. Can someone please give me their opinion on livability, crime, and why I should or shouldn't be looking for a new home there?

Thanks in advance.

I live in Nashville on that side of town and i just helped a friend move to an apartment there the other day ...and ive been over there a few times in the last 4 weeks and don't understand why there is all drama over how "bad" it is..just because u see more blacks don't make the place bad.....I just moved from Florida 5 months ago and Antioch is a way better place as far as ghetto goes compared to where i lived before

Old 02-21-2010, 02:34 PM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorRob305 View Post
I live in Nashville on that side of town and i just helped a friend move to an apartment there the other day ...and ive been over there a few times in the last 4 weeks and don't understand why there is all drama over how "bad" it is..just because u see more blacks don't make the place bad.....I just moved from Florida 5 months ago and Antioch is a way better place as far as ghetto goes compared to where i lived before
You have to live there to see how it is, not by a few visits. Also, it is not the race or ethnicity of the people that make it bad. It's the overall element and their lack of respect or pride in where they live.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:51 PM

815 posts, read 2,018,377 times
Quote:
That all it is, a lot of people in Nashville, especially the ones not even from here, are just not open to diversity, especially when the minority race is living just as good as they are...There are a lot of afluent blacks in Antioch, as well as Hispanics and other nationalities that are just trying to make a decent living. I just don't think Nashville is ready for that, so many it out to be "ghetto" or such a bad place out of ignorance or lack of understandings of other types of people.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 AM

3,633 posts, read 5,789,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antioch View Post
That all it is, a lot of people in Nashville, especially the ones not even from here, are just not open to diversity, especially when the minority race is living just as good as they are...There are a lot of afluent blacks in Antioch, as well as Hispanics and other nationalities that are just trying to make a decent living. I just don't think Nashville is ready for that, so many it out to be "ghetto" or such a bad place out of ignorance or lack of understandings of other types of people.

that's the feeling i get around here...you're right...Nashville is a place where people are friendly for the most part but it is just not ready to be like places with more diversity...we'll see if people can realize that diverse people doesn't make things bad to be around....of coarse i heard of all the "scary" people of New Orleans ..lol..that moved into Antioch because my brother has been living in Nashville for years but even he thinks that people around here blow things out of proportion.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 AM

3,528 posts, read 8,628,180 times
Quote:
that's the feeling i get around here...you're right...Nashville is a place where people are friendly for the most part but it is just not ready to be like places with more diversity...we'll see if people can realize that diverse people doesn't make things bad to be around....of coarse i heard of all the "scary" people of New Orleans ..lol..that moved into Antioch because my brother has been living in Nashville for years but even he thinks that people around here blow things out of proportion.

So untrue! Nashville is very open to diversity. We have people from all over the globe moving here and we welcome them. It's the diverse number of people who choose to live like pigs and have no repect for their where they live, their neighbors or neighbor's property that we can't stand.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
So untrue! Nashville is very open to diversity. We have people from all over the globe moving here and we welcome them. It's the diverse number of people who choose to live like pigs and have no repect for their where they live, their neighbors or neighbor's property that we can't stand.
People never understand it until they are on the receiving end of racisim or bigitry... Has anyone ever heard of "White Flight"? Why does that happen? I'll admit, African Americans have started to do this as well in areas all around town, especially with the rise of the Hispanic population, so if you are African American and know why this "White/Black" flight thing happen please let me know.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Go to newschannel5.com and type Hermitage in the search, you will see more come up regarding crime in that area than Antioch, especially with in the past year. So is that area so "Ghetto" or bad now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville