Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:31 AM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Are you a business owner?

Nothing makes a business lose money faster than zero revenue.

Newest data out showing 20% of NYC already has antibodies... this thing has been around for a while.

The further we get into this shutdown the worse it looks for the Liberals.
If NYC has 20% antibodies (if they confer immunity), then they only need 40% more infections for herd immunity. Have you looked at those numbers? They are rather large.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 11:32 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
I dunno about peoples common sense. Every store I've been to that has benches out front thas them "crime scene" taped up so people don't flock to them and start swapping spit, I assume.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:34 AM

8,419 posts, read 4,580,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If NYC has 20% antibodies (if they confer immunity), then they only need 40% more infections for herd immunity. Have you looked at those numbers? They are rather large.

That's the thing people keep forgetting. We keep using what we know about select other viruses and apply them to this one. How has "herd immunity" worked for HIV?

Old 04-24-2020, 11:44 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,824 times
Quote:
If NYC has 20% antibodies then the mortality rate is substantially lower than the Progressives have been stating to the public.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:55 AM

848 posts, read 648,616 times
Quote:
I live in Nevada, just never changed my info. I've served on a State level pandemic planning committee, and while I am no expert, I did work with a lot who were.

I live in Central Nevada.

US numbers trending up are on all the sites (if you can call 2 days a trend, but it is not down), but I primarily use World O Meters.

Yes, Las Vegas has a lot of out door activities, but the main moolah comes from gambling and the like, primarily in door things are the budget bread and butter (I would imagine. I have not specifically looked up gambling revenue vs parks, but I think that is a safe assumption.)

I am all for opening outdoor venues, thanks for asking. I think that is a reasonable activity if people aren't stupid (for example Phoenix who left outdoor trails open and then people literally packed on to them, feet from each other, no protection, so they had to be closed).

AND, I've lived here long enough to know you can go out hiking, driving, and fishing in plenty of areas. We have spent many a day in the past couple months out exploring, hiking, 4 wheel driving, exploring mines and we have seen people out on various lakes fishing. There are so many things to go out to do even without parks being officially open.

I hope you feel better now.

I use covidtracking.com which aggregates all state-reported data. Please cite the specific numbers which you claim have been trending up. Even our governor, with whom I don't agree on virtually anything, indicated two days does not make a trend. Your statement is misleading at best.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:20 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
I use covidtracking.com which aggregates all state-reported data. Please cite the specific numbers which you claim have been trending up. Even our governor, with whom I don't agree on virtually anything, indicated two days does not make a trend. Your statement is misleading at best.

I said US cases AND I said it does not make a trend. What do the Federal guidelines say? I think it had something to do with "downward trends" and up is not down. I think NV is doing well. But what happens when you open up a tourist destination? Those from other states bring stuff in, and you are not doing well.

It's funny, some seem to think that the states are like countries, with borders and such. Nope, we can cross back and forth to our hearts, and viruses, content. Ideally? From an infectious disease stand point, if we could keep our states like little countries with closed borders, then sure, if the state was doing well, open everything up.

Though I did a quick peak and found it interest that our per capita cases were quite a bit higher than CA. Though I would bet that modeling would show that even with the cases adjusted for population, the lack of density should offset that a bit. But, again, social distancing.

Though if you peak, we do have the same increase over the last couple days, still down from the high, but up from the lows (mid period, not the beginning). Again, not a trend, but not a decrease.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ses.html#cases
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-24-2020, 12:20 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,829,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Your arrogance towards those who have lost their employment is unbelievable. Perhaps, you can suggest that the unemployed can eat cake as well while getting their unemployment benefits. Simply giving people a handout and effectively locking them in their homes without human interaction is not an acceptable substitute for the dignity that comes with being gainfully employed. It also gives no consideration that humans are social creatures who need to be able to interact with other humans. I even despise the term social distancing; it's an insidious term only academics and bureaucrats could devise. Our household uses the term physical distancing as we have no desire to be socially distant from others.

We have more than enough data at this point to know that people in your age group are in the high-risk demographic especially in southern Nevada where approximately 93% of the fatalities were among those 50 and older. You are the ones who can continue to choose to self-isolate at home if you want, or you can choose to take the risk. It is the height of insanity to continue to lock up people under the age of 50, especially children, and ruin their lives when their risk is extremely low. Young people, many with families, have had their careers and finances destroyed. Children have had their education interrupted without any regard to the impact that will have on their future. This whole thing has been primarily about protecting the boomers without any regard for the rest of the population.
I’m not arrogant toward the unemployed. Just another of your misstatements. What I’m stating is just the obvious. To pretend that younger people have to work in order to have social interaction is funny given today’s technology of FaceTime, Zoom, etc. I’m afraid that you fail to realize that younger people know how dangerous this virus can be to their parants and grandparents and are willing to be idle for a few months while the curve is flattened. Why don’t you tell me your personal circumstances about your job and your unemployment? You certainly seem to have a lot of social interaction here on City-DaTa. Perhaps you miss going to your favorite pub where the social interaction is more focused and personal.

Children lives are not being ruined by staying out of school for a few months. Don’t be such a drama queen.

Old 04-24-2020, 12:25 PM

347 posts, read 542,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aardogfsu View Post
Having gone back and forth mulling over whether we should reopen vs. stay shuttered I’ve come to the conclusion that our politicians are concerned with preserving human life while sacrificing quality of life and economic hardship, at least that’s what they are trying to convey.

Selling it to the public with a sweet sounding motto like “putting lives over dollars” makes a lot of sense. But I’m confused as to how affective they’ve been at maximizing their return per life saved.

4100 people died of cigarette smoke in Nevada last year.
$230m was taken in by Nevada by its 30% tax on tobacco.
In other words $56,000 in tax revenue was enough to justify each death and continue status quo.

Experts estimate that shutting down the state will hurt the economy close to $60B. $39.8B coming from Southern Nevada hospitality alone.

There are 172 deaths so far in Nevada due to the Wuhan Virus despite our shutdown.
Let’s extrapolate to hypotheticals had we taken a less serious approach to shutting down:

10x the death: 1720 deaths/$50B = $29m/life
100x the death: 17,200 deaths/$50B = $2.9m/life
500x the death: 86,000 deaths/$50B = ~$600k/life

An argument could be made that along with those deaths there are the hospitalizations and people forced out of work due to flu like symptoms that would effect our economy, so let’s bring that in... also the state claims that there were 5500 hospital beds to start and I’m sure they’ve been able to add an additional 10%? So let’s call it ~6000.

2% death rate among those infected with 10% hospitalization rate once infected (cdc.gov)
4,081 infections as of 4/22/20 approx. ~400 hospitalized
10x the hospitalizations: 4,000 hospitalizations
100x the death: 40,000 hospitalizations
500x the death: 860,000 hospitalizations

You could argue that based on other countries handling this via different strategies 100x and 500x are completely unrealistic as nothing close to those numbers has occurred anywhere even with zero social distancing.

As of now Nevada could handle 15x the virus related hospitalizations they are currently experiencing without being overrun with 6000 hospital beds available.

By shutting down life, we are putting lives over dollars at a cost of $290,000,000 per life.
When things return to normal, we will continue putting dollars over lives at $56,000 per life.

Note:
I have nothing against the tobacco industry whatsoever.
I am highly confused by some of the decisions of our elected officials.

Can someone please un-confuse me?
1. Calling it the Wuhan virus shows your lack of understanding on why the medical society doesn't want to call it the Chinese or wuhan virus. The next time they have another virus, they will try to repress news and information even more so than they actually did, so that you do not know about it and they do not look bad. Guess what will happen after that, people will get infected by it b/c of the silence or not making things aware to people and even more will be getting it around the world. Where did the Spanish flu start?? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanis...out_the_source It's the spanish flu because it was allowed to be reported in spain but not the rest of Europe where it had been happening also. Think next time China wants to hide the flu and someone comes back to the US and we report it and it becomes the American Flu or the Las Vegas flu (thanks Chinese tourist). How do you think the LVCVA will like to deal with that? "What disease you get in Vegas, Stays with you forever", "Come for the gambling, leave alive or dead we don't care as long as you pay your room and resort fees" "Roll the dice and see if you win a Virus"

2. There is no way of knowing if we would have had the same number or even higher numbers without the lockdown but looking at other places that locked down too late, NYC, Italy, we know it was the right and smart thing to do.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:30 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,032,119 times
Quote:
We keep using what we know about select other viruses and apply them to this one. How has "herd immunity" worked for HIV?
It seems logical to use what we know about other coronaviruses. HIV is not a coronavirus. SARS is a coronavirus, and South Korea used what they learned from the SARS epidemic to great effect.

Old 04-24-2020, 03:23 PM

848 posts, read 648,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview6 View Post
I’m not arrogant toward the unemployed. Just another of your misstatements. What I’m stating is just the obvious. To pretend that younger people have to work in order to have social interaction is funny given today’s technology of FaceTime, Zoom, etc. I’m afraid that you fail to realize that younger people know how dangerous this virus can be to their parants and grandparents and are willing to be idle for a few months while the curve is flattened. Why don’t you tell me your personal circumstances about your job and your unemployment? You certainly seem to have a lot of social interaction here on City-DaTa. Perhaps you miss going to your favorite pub where the social interaction is more focused and personal.

Children lives are not being ruined by staying out of school for a few months. Don’t be such a drama queen.
And on what basis do you make the following statement: "I’m afraid that you fail to realize that younger people know how dangerous this virus can be to their parants and grandparents and are willing to be idle for a few months while the curve is flattened."

This is another retort I would expect from a boomer. I am not a boomer and am not unemployed. However, I actually am concerned about others less fortunate than myself unlike you. You must not have children; I do. I am more concerned than you about how kids are being affected by this educationally and socially. It is totally unnecessary. In-person social interaction with other people is not the same as virtual interaction. You ought to try reading the science on this.

I am not failing to realize anything regarding younger people. I do not see this virus as extremely dangerous, especially given all of the recently released antibody studies, and am not willing to be idle indefinitely. I previously mentioned that my father is in the highest risk group based on his age and medical conditions, and he even thinks this total lockdown is ridiculous. He certainly does not think his kids and grandkids should be locked out of society because of it even though he realizes he may need to continue to take extra precautions.

I have news for you. The curve has already been flattened per the Nevada Hospital Association report this past Tuesday. Sisolak is now trying to come up with new curves to flatten which have nothing to do with why the citizens were told this total lockdown was needed in the first place. The bottom line is that per today's SNHD report only 0.05% of Clark County has an active COVID-19 diagnosis; 99.95% of Clark County's population does not. If you want to add a metric, then it ought to be a relevant metric like active cases. Per the SNHD, that metric has been trending down for several days. Don't you find it curious how Sisolak rattles off metrics and models but then doesn't publish the numbers for those metrics and models for others to see and analyze? For a guy who repeatedly promises transparency, he never delivers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada