Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 04:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,183,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I think Nicole is up in Berlin, isn't she? Lisa, BF & NH2008 I believe are all in the same town - and out of power. When talking with my dad this morning, they were still out and expected to be out for a few days more. My sister and family were en route from Maine to visit a bit and bringing a second generator over (my folks have one, but they can either run the fridge or the microwave, but they can't keep food cold and cook meals both. I think they're eating out a lot (mind you, they could just leave stuff covered in the mudroom and it will be plenty refrigerated!)
Wanna - I *think* you're thinking of Daniellefort, who is up near Berlin.....I think Nicole is around Laconia or further south......Hope your folks stay okay!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NCMom View Post
Parts of Somersworth, Dover, Rochester (and I'm sure Madbury and Barrington included) are without power. My sister and mom still didn't have it as of late last night - and my sister is the one with a newborn
NH2NCMom - DH's daughter and her family live in Maine - right across the border from Rochester. They lost power and we haven't heard from them since Friday.....they're hard to get hold of when there IS power, now it's next to impossible, hopefully they're busy and have power......I can only imagine what your sister with the newborn is going through! Do your sister and mom have a generator or friends with one?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXC9900 View Post
i was reading in the local newspaper in NY that the governor stated that if ur power wasn't on today you should seriously consider leaving ur home to find some place with power to stay

from what i read... a lot of the grids were restore but branches will fall causing them to go out again...
NXC9900 - We still have family in the Mid-Hudson region of NY - they are still a mess. My mom is in a nursing home there, which lost power, then lost their generator, so they were without power for about a day and half. They had to shuffle residents from one area to another where some areas were warmer. Mom is legally blind and when I talked to her yesterday, she was back in her room and finally had her "bearings" again.

It seems northern Dutchess County and Columbia County were hit the hardest. The Taconic is still closed from Milan to Clavarack as of this morning. DH's son is a volunteer with one of the Fire Departments and they've been going crazy with trees down, lines sparking, etc. As you said - power would be restored, then branches or trees would come down again.

My son is closer to Saratoga and they had more snow than anything.....Their utilities are underground in that area, so I guess they're lucky.

I wonder - do any areas in NH have the underground utilities? Does anyone know?

Old 12-15-2008, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E View Post
I talked to my son in Barrington a couple hours ago.They've been without power since Fri. and dont expect to have it restored for a couple more days. Thank god for gas appliances and wood heat.
Ken - Glad your son is okay, even if he is without power - that must be a load off your mind, being so far away!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 AM

3,533 posts, read 12,313,556 times
good morning, i hope alot of people get their power back on before it get's cold again. it's supposed to be warm for a day or so, hopefuly that will help.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:35 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
I used to joke about my electric cold. It was 39 deg in the BR this morning. The outside air was warmer. Looks like a couple more days.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:37 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,707,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
NH2NCMom - DH's daughter and her family live in Maine - right across the border from Rochester. They lost power and we haven't heard from them since Friday.....they're hard to get hold of when there IS power, now it's next to impossible, hopefully they're busy and have power......I can only imagine what your sister with the newborn is going through! Do your sister and mom have a generator or friends with one?
Well my other sister in Dover does have power, but my other sister didn't know that until Saturday night I'm sure my mother went to her BF house in Northwood I believe (don't care much for the boyfriend so don't pay attention LOL). I hope your DH's family in ME is ok, I know the outages are definitely in pockets at this point.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 AM

1,130 posts, read 1,540,155 times
Default Fremont power?

I'm north of Utica NY. My son and family are in Fremont. I can't get hold of him at home or work. Can anyone tell me when power might be restored there or if there is power in nearby areas?

Old 12-15-2008, 06:49 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,707,385 times
Default Coastal areas still has many towns with 90+% of people without power!

This gives a lot of details about the Seacoast and neighboring counties of Strafford.

Fosters.com - Dover NH, Rochester NH, Portsmouth NH, Laconia NH, Sanford ME

Old 12-15-2008, 07:07 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,048,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Wanna - I *think* you're thinking of Daniellefort, who is up near Berlin.....I think Nicole is around Laconia or further south......Hope your folks stay okay!
yes. so embarrasing. while it's not AS cold here, it's a bit nippy and liekly to rain all week. Can I put it down to cold and soggy brain?

My folks seem to be doing ok yesterday: they get a lot of sun and their house is over-insulated (yes, there can be such a thing: stale, smelly air in some of the rooms). But I imagine with 2 generators, they should be fine. And both of my sisters handy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire