Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 12:37 AM

1,553 posts, read 2,448,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
A white person is a person with white skin and facial features, and whose mostly or only has ancestral origins in Europe. Its a race, not some type of club you can accept and deny who ever you want. If Puerto Ricans are "declared" white, when racially there not really white but of mixed background, then who's next? Mexicans, Chinese, and Black Americans?
Arabs are considered white on the Census, they do not all look "white" with white skin and facial features.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 09:29 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ControlJohnsons View Post
that isn't true.. a totally caucasian puerto rican is the minority. you are comparing say a 5% caucasian puerto rico to a <0.01% caucasian jamaica, st. lucia, barbados, etc.. yes, there are more in PR, but still a small minority out of the entire population.

i've travelled and done business in puerto rico.. the vast working and middle class is a mixed heritage, as i wrote of mixed hispanic/black and mulatto stock.. there are european genes in puerto ricans but it's mixed in via mulatto.. there ARE caucasian skewed skin color in puerto rico, but from my experience, they were the minority, and mostly in the ruling class.
I never said that White European people were the majority in PR, I dont thing anyone would say that. Just making a point about our misconceptions and prejudices here in the US( and elsewhere) about Latin America. I have friends who are "white" and "black" Hispanics, its funny who even other Hispanics are surprised that they speak Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdbEMBmzo2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kenaY8rlw

I speak Spanish and I am a white (and Southern) American. My accent in Spanish is decent( mix of Puerto Rican and Urugayan accents) so people have assumed I am Hispanic after hearing me speak a phrase or 2. Or since my last name is German, my grandparents must have been Nazis who escaped to Argentina. (another misconception that is Conventional Wisdom, ALL Latin-Americans of German descent are Nazis)

Bottom line we should not worry so much about someone's ancestry or heritage as much as we do. People are people ( to steal from Depesche Mode.) Treat people as individuals. There are jerks and wonderful people in every race/nationality/tribe/group.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:27 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,248,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When my father was growing up in the 20s and 30s, Italians, most of whom were recent immigrants, were not considered white. They lived in the "colored" section of Paterson with black people.

I watched a documentary on the people of Thule, Greenland, the northernmost people on the planet, related to the Inuit. During the winter, Admiral Peary and his assistant Matthew Henson lived with them. Both left children behind, and descendants of Peary were interviewed in the documentary. They said, "we are partly white people, and over in the next village you can see some who are the other kind of white people, the black ones"--Henson's descendants.
many Italian immigrants are still not considered "White".. rather ethnic Europeans. Most Italian immigrants are Sicilian, Calabrian,

And Italy has many different provinces, in the South, more mediterranean stock, up north, blonde, blue eyes near the Swiss border.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
I never said that White European people were the majority in PR, I dont thing anyone would say that. Just making a point about our misconceptions and prejudices here in the US( and elsewhere) about Latin America. I have friends who are "white" and "black" Hispanics, its funny who even other Hispanics are surprised that they speak Spanish.

I speak Spanish and I am a white (and Southern) American. My accent in Spanish is decent( mix of Puerto Rican and Urugayan accents) so people have assumed I am Hispanic after hearing me speak a phrase or 2. Or since my last name is German, my grandparents must have been Nazis who escaped to Argentina. (another misconception that is Conventional Wisdom, ALL Latin-Americans of German descent are Nazis)

Bottom line we should not worry so much about someone's ancestry or heritage as much as we do. People are people ( to steal from Depesche Mode.) Treat people as individuals. There are jerks and wonderful people in every race/nationality/tribe/group.
Yes, I agree.. but Puerto rico is multicultural, mixed hertiage.. and someone claiming that Puerto Rico is symbolized by white heritage is really incorrect..

It would be the same as classifying Phillipines Or Indonesia as White. I know some Indonesians with Dutch stock,and they look caucasian/asian, but they're not what people generalize as white. In Philipines, there is Portuguese stock mixed into indigenous population, I"ve met Phillipino's who look hispanic, chinese, european.. but in each case, the mixed stock is the vast majority as it is in Puerto Rico.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Yes, I agree.. but Puerto rico is multicultural, mixed hertiage.. and someone claiming that Puerto Rico is symbolized by white heritage is really incorrect..

It would be the same as classifying Phillipines Or Indonesia as White. I know some Indonesians with Dutch stock,and they look caucasian/asian, but they're not what people generalize as white. In Philipines, there is Portuguese stock mixed into indigenous population, I"ve met Phillipino's who look hispanic, chinese, european.. but in each case, the mixed stock is the vast majority as it is in Puerto Rico.
The stock would be more Spanish than Poruguese. Most Filipinos have Spanish last names, there is a large Roman Catholic Population .There is a Filipino version of Spanish but it nearly extinct, the main language of the Phillipines is Tagalog which has lots of Spanish loan works.

Philippines was a Spanish colony for ~400 years. from the 1500s til 1821 it was governed out of the viceroyality of New Spain in Mexico, that's why there are cultural links between Mexico and Philippines. After Mexicos Independence it was governed from Spain. It became a US possession at the same time as Puerto Rico in 1898 and became independent in 1945.

Even though PR and the Philippine are on different sides of the world there are many similarities.

Where I live now in Jacksonville FL we have the 3rd largest percentage of Filipinos in the US, and the largest Hispanic group is Puerto Rican. Filipinos who don't "look" real Asian or who are mixed race will have people talk to them in Spanish because of their last name.

Old 02-25-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:

If someone is Puerto Rican of 100% European heritage( Grandparents from Galicia in Spain, Ireland and Corsica) they are still white AND Puerto Rican.

Here in the US what is what is "Southern" is a mix of European( English, Scot-Irish, with some French and German) and African for the most part; So no matter their skin color people would still be Southerners.

Really a lot of what is American( ie Jazz Music and Rock and Roll) come heavily from African Americans so the US is mixed heritage as a culture-- though there are some who would choose to deny it

Old 02-25-2016, 11:50 AM

218 posts, read 342,507 times
Quote:
If someone is Puerto Rican of 100% European heritage( Grandparents from Galicia in Spain, Ireland and Corsica) they are still white AND Puerto Rican.

Here in the US what is what is "Southern" is a mix of European( English, Scot-Irish, with some French and German) and African for the most part; So no matter their skin color people would still be Southerners.

Really a lot of what is American( ie Jazz Music and Rock and Roll) come from African Americans so the US is mixed heritage as a culture-- though there are some who would choose to deny it
America has a mixed heritage as a CULTURE. But RACIALLY, most Americans are white (58%) , hispanic (18%), black (13%), asian (5%), or self identify as racially mixed/all other (6%). Also many blacks (some blacks may in fact be mixed but just self identify as "black" due to the one drop rule) and hispanics in the US are mixed, and still that would only be about 30% of the US population being mixed.
Puerto Rico, on the other hand, is culturally AND RACIALLY mixed (the majority are atleast). Not saying there isnt white Ricans and black Ricans cuz there definetly is, but the majority of the population is racially mixed. How tf can they you be white if a high percentage of your ancestors were black slaves from West Africa or indigenous Taino indians, most of them are mixed get over it.

Sure some lighter Scandinavian whites may not see the darker Mediterranean whites as white. But in the majority of American society and the world their white, as compared to Puerto Ricans who are largely seen as mulatto hispanics.
In the majority of the world's eyes, you are white if...
- you have white or light olive skin tone. And you have "white" facial features particularly sharp narrow nose and thin lips.
- And if the vast majority of ya ancestry (if not all) comes from Europe, North Africa and the Middle East.

Some consider ppl from the Middle East and North Africa to be "Arab" while others consider them to be white, there is little differences between europeans and arabs. On the flip side, blacks and native americans are definitely different then whites, sooo how can Ricans/Caribbean Hispanics be considered "white" if there heavily mixed with these groups. Yea, we may be MIXED wit white, but were not white were mixed. If were white, so is Obama, Chris Brown, and Beyonce.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Really a lot of what is American( ie Jazz Music and Rock and Roll) come heavily from African Americans so the US is mixed heritage as a culture-- though there are some who would choose to deny it
yes, but the US has been a largely white majority...
the op here tried to argue that so is Puerto Rico, which is Not.. clearly there are some european stock puerto ricans, but as I've said, they are the minority.. the vast majority are mixed mullatos and hispanics.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Additionally, whites differentiate themselves from other "whites"..

This is reason for division between Northerners and Southerners.. and Midwesterners..

Northerners are largely Irish/Italian/Prussian-German/East European/Jewish stock..
For most of the 20th century, they were not even considered "white" by their Southern white Anglo Saxon counterparts.

This division still exists into today..

Old 02-25-2016, 05:23 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,598,114 times
I went to Puerto Rico and there are plenty of white people there, including light-skinned blondes.
Similarly, there are plenty of white Puerto Ricans in NJ and the U.S. in general.

Just as the British colonized the U.S., Spain colonized Puerto Rico. Spain is a European white country.
If Americans of British decent are considered white, then why are Puerto Ricans of Spanish descent not conidered white?

I truly don't understand this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey