Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2014, 03:34 PM

973 posts, read 1,453,418 times

Advertisements

No. You can't go to a country, any country, and speak a different language and have a different name and be considered part of a group that is there. If two guys looked the same and one was named John and the other was Julio, it's not the same. It's a different culture. Now, if Julio has a strange accent or doesn't speak English, I don't consider him white.

The majority of Puerto Ricans are not light skinned and the ones that are mostly don't have "white"/Europe features. As opposed to other Hispanics. I have met people from Spain who are fair skinned and spoke English well. I would consider them white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 06:25 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
No. You can't go to a country, any country, and speak a different language and have a different name and be considered part of a group that is there. If two guys looked the same and one was named John and the other was Julio, it's not the same. It's a different culture. Now, if Julio has a strange accent or doesn't speak English, I don't consider him white.

The majority of Puerto Ricans are not light skinned and the ones that are mostly don't have "white"/Europe features. As opposed to other Hispanics. I have met people from Spain who are fair skinned and spoke English well. I would consider them white.
I think the bigger question would be "Do Spanish Americans consider themselves white or Hispanic socially?"

Old 02-09-2014, 07:15 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I think the bigger question would be "Do Spanish Americans consider themselves white or Hispanic socially?"
if they are from the country of spain, then they probably consider themselves white.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:23 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
if they are from the country of spain, then they probably consider themselves white.
When Spaniards come to US, they are put in a relatively unique situation where they can practically choose what race they want to be socially by identifying as Hispanic or not.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:45 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,698,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
When Spaniards come to US, they are put in a relatively unique situation where they can practically choose what race they want to be socially by identifying as Hispanic or not.
this reminds me of a chris rock bit but I cant find the quote online. he is talking about a couple getting married and the false notion that they combine their two lives. he said something along the lines of that the couple choose the better life of the two. what life do you think the people from spain choose?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:28 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
Still, while people like Gates talk about blacks in Brazil or anywhere else...it seems like they would prefer to find people who have little black ancestry to get close to rather than people who actually look like them. Maybe they have just given up on being African. I even think he was married to a Caucasian woman and had a daughter with her. I don't understand if he is so concerned with Africans why he wouldn't choose to be with one when he is looking for them everywhere.
He is a scholar of black history. What does it matter to you who he chooses to be with?

Old 02-10-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
I haven't been to Puerto Rico. I have no idea what the women there look like. I kind of think you can find pretty and ugly in every country in the world. I haven't been enough places to know on average which countries have the best looking people. Someone told me there are many good looking people in Italy.
There are pretty and ugly people everywhere in the world - except Philadelphia. Overwhelmingly ugly in that town..........

Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,656,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
There are pretty and ugly people everywhere in the world - except Philadelphia. Overwhelmingly ugly in that town..........
lol. wow, why so tough on philly.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
What can I say? Spent every day there for more than 15 years. The level of ugliness was astounding.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:50 AM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Philly is roundly despised by most. Let comedian Bill Burr go into more detail (definitely NSFW):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey