Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crortega9 View Post
I don't really know what would happen, I left Cuba when I was 9 years old and I'm 27, but it wouldn't be good. You'd definitely go to jail in the least. Cuba is a communist country, everything is rationed. You're only allowed a piece of bread every week, a certain amount of rice, etc. You can not freely speak out against your government and you cannot vote. Everyone is equal, it doesn't matter if you're a doctor or a field worker. I'm sure people have different salaries but what I'm trying to say is that you can't go to school and become a scientist and get a job where you will be rich and have a nice expensive house. That is not allowed. On the upside, education and health care are both free and are great. This is from Wikipedia:

"Cuba has a 99.8% literacy rate,[14][15] an infant death rate lower than some developed countries,[16] and an average life expectancy of 77.64.[14] In 2006, Cuba was the only nation in the world which met the WWF's definition of sustainable development; having an ecological footprint of less than 1.8 hectares per capita and a Human Development Index of over 0.8 for 2007."

"Historically, Cuba has ranked high in numbers of medical personnel and has made significant contributions to world health since the 19th century.[60] Today, Cuba has universal health care and although shortages of medical supplies persist, there is no shortage of medical personnel.[163] Primary care is available throughout the island and infant and maternal mortality rates compare favorably with those in developed nations."

It's a prison where they make sure you can read the propaganda (Granma, Verde Olivo, etc.) and make sure you are in great health so you can work in the cane fields for nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:13 AM

154 posts, read 449,403 times
A puerto rican friend of mine said PR, has a dark side and a white side. Lol I swear. She said the city that her family originates from Ponce, is on the white half of the island. She had blue eyes and blond hair. But as soon as talked she had the stereotypical Rosie Perez accent. In college, I met lots of Black/Euro-White type/ Mixed race Puerto Ricans who were from PR and just here for school. I saw a Big difference, firstly, race was nit a factor at all! The ones straight from PR, were all just very "classy", can't explain it any better. They spoke beautifully and carried themselves very differently! They also looked down upon new Ricans and found them to be Vulgar & ghetto! I guess the same could be said for Italians vs. Italian Americans. I do know from classes I took in college that Dominicans have a race complex. They hate to be percieved as Black!

Old 04-01-2011, 11:15 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPersianJewGurL View Post
A puerto rican friend of mine said PR, has a dark side and a white side. Lol I swear. She said the city that her family originates from Ponce, is on the white half of the island.

There is no "white half of the island." Though the interior tends to have lots of whites, and blacks/mixed people more on the coast, there are all types of people throughout the island.

Quote:
I do know from classes I took in college that Dominicans have a race complex. They hate to be percieved as Black!
That's their own distinct brand of sickness. You are what you are. Dominicans are mixed, but 85% of them have obvious African ancestry. Most would be considered Black anywhere they went in the world.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:12 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
i mentioned to my wife that i interviewed a girl from dominican republic the other day for a job. she asked if she was light or dark skinned. she was light skinned. she said her family must have had more money in dominican republic.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:22 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,738,350 times
One of the engineers at my job is from the DR. He is light--looks sort of Italian, and his wife is darker and has more African features. He had two sons, about 18 months apart. One day he brought in pictures and said, "You want to see my white boy and my black boy?" Sure enough, one of his sons is dark with the African-ancestry features like the mother, and the other boy looks like a little white kid.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,759 times
i think some of us have the white thing going ..and some are ghetto and some are mixed some like rock some like jazz some like salsa some of us hang out with jews some hang out with blacks some from the south are puerto rican rednecks that i met..some are black.. we are diverse.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:18 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,181,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I have always been fascinated by how many Puerto Ricans in New Jersey have held on to their heritage at the same time assimilating to their home culture. As other ethnic groups in the past and continue to be doing. But it makes me wonder if Puerto Ricans are finally accepted into the mainstream culture considering the fact that they were here since the 1950s as the oldest Hispanic group. Any input?
Depends on each person, and how they choose to identify themselves.

Personally, I always thought that many Puerto Ricans want to continue beingidentified as Puerto Ricans, rather than being perceived as generic white.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:55 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,684,570 times
im not sure if i told this story here, but when my wife first moved here from puerto rico she was going to grad school. in puerto rico, she was white because everyone is hispanic so the difference was the color. she went some place with group of black girls she met at school and made the comment "im the only white person in the car" (something like that). it was cute that she was naive at that point about the kinds of things you can say openly, she didnt mean it in a bad way at all. she learned quickly and they told her she wasnt white that she is in fact a minority.

Old 09-14-2011, 03:44 PM

396 posts, read 708,143 times
Captain--that's because the PR culture is so much more laid back about what constitutes an insult! I have heard "negrita" used as a term of endearment. Same with "gordo"....

Old 09-14-2011, 03:46 PM

396 posts, read 708,143 times
BTW--I have light brown hair, green eyes and I am from PR. My family is completely European and my sister's child has blue eyes and light blonde hair... I consider myself white--always have, because that is what I am racially. Culturally, different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey