Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 10:40 AM

221 posts, read 380,049 times

Advertisements

I haven't been to Puerto Rico. I have no idea what the women there look like. I kind of think you can find pretty and ugly in every country in the world. I haven't been enough places to know on average which countries have the best looking people. Someone told me there are many good looking people in Italy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:02 PM

293 posts, read 720,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Hispanic/Latino is not a Racial Category. It is a linguistic one. What I like about Puerto Ricans( and Latin Americans in general) they identify as Puerto Rican, Uruguayan, Brazilian etc first and do not worry as much about heratige as here in the USA. People dont call themselves Polish-Uruguayan or Afro-Cuban etc.
Bingo! This is absolutely correct. I even find it hard to believe that "Latinos" themselves don't know the real definition and differences between Hispanic/Iberian/Latin. They use the word interchangeably. The Spaniard Royal Academy Dictionary has defined a Hispanic as a person from Spain that speaks Spanish. Hispanic Americans are those living in America whose first language is Spanish. Latin is person from Italy, France, Spain, or Portugal. A Latin American is a natural person from Mexico all the way to the Patagonia, but excluded the Dutch Islands and British Territories in the Americas and the Caribbean Islands.

Hispanic or Iberian = Spaniard
Hispanic American or Iberian American = Mexico, Colombia, Argentina, Guatemala etc.
Latino = French, Italian, Spaniards, and Portuguese (the latter define themselves as Lusitanians)
Latin American = Brazilians, French Guyanese, Haitians, Arubians and those from Curacao, ect.

The Royal Academy created these definitions to classify the origins of people in the Americas and Europe from a Linguistic perspective. However, these definitions became interchangeable with the help of the mainstream culture and lost its purpose to the point where people often get confused between one and the other.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:14 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I have always been fascinated by how many Puerto Ricans in New Jersey have held on to their heritage at the same time assimilating to their home culture. As other ethnic groups in the past and continue to be doing. But it makes me wonder if Puerto Ricans are finally accepted into the mainstream culture considering the fact that they were here since the 1950s as the oldest Hispanic group. Any input?
Well, we'll just have to check the State of NJ official ethnic status book. Each year all the people of Nj vote on proposed decisions. Think the information you want is on page 3974.

Difficulty in determing ethnicity on the street requires an official registry.. or else everyone must wear a name tag with ethnicity clearly stated. That proposal was shot down last EDC/ ethnic determination convention, held in AC.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:15 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times
No book is needed. It's easier to ID PR men because they tend to have short or shaved heads with a thin beard that goes around the chin from ear to ear, But Dominicans can throw you off with the same look.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:46 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerpotFlowers View Post
Captain NJ, I'm not Brazilian but I will admit that these girls were like models and I was like the ugly duckling. We went to a diner and the place stopped for them. At the church, many were not that special. But I have met many in passing who are just really pretty.

the problem is that you didnt see your average brazilian. if you saw them in a church in nj, already there are reasons to expect they are not a good sample from the country.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:47 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,716,602 times
Quote:
I haven't been to Puerto Rico. I have no idea what the women there look like. I kind of think you can find pretty and ugly in every country in the world. I haven't been enough places to know on average which countries have the best looking people. Someone told me there are many good looking people in Italy.

of course, there are going to be attractive and unattractive people in every country. but a place like puerto rico is going to be much less attractive than venezuela overall. there seems to be a huge fat acceptance problem in puerto rico. they accept it way too much.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:18 PM

130 posts, read 224,460 times
Are Puerto Ricans considered "white" in New Jersey, socially?

No

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,544,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonGrace View Post
"Are Puerto Rican's considered white?"

WHY DOES IT MATTER?

It matters to those who equate BEING "American" with looking and behaving like some "wonder bread" notion of what being an American is. So to the extent that a person achieves this he ought to be applauded.

The same person will then turn around and rant about African Americans using that terminology instead of just American.

This is NOT an issue to be ignored because these attitudes adversely impact some people's ability to land certain types of corporate jobs. Because many of those who think like this tend to be gate keepers. Some one who doesn't fit into this "wonder bread" America is then scrutinized more closely.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Ok except for black Brazilians. But there are also many white Brazilians and Indigenous Brazilians and mixes as well. I'm sure you can find black people anywhere..

Gates has done at least two series on Blacks in America. What he wanted people to know is that blacks aren't the only people with African ancestry who live in the Americas, as some happen to believe. I include George Bush who was shocked to discover that there were loads of blacks in Brazil. Condi Rice had to give him a quick history lesson before he embarrassed himself, as it would have been quite stupid if he posed that question to the Brazilian president, while engaging in small talk.

Also contrary to what some peddle, there are significant black empowerment movements throughout Latin America including Cuba (though stifled by the fascist Castro regime), among the Garifuna in Honduras, in Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Peru, Uruguay, and especially in Brazil.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:21 PM

[quote=Ed Guitar;32735567]Bingo!Latin is person from Italy, France, Spain, or Portugal. A Latin American is a natural person from Mexico all the way to the Patagonia, but excluded the Dutch Islands and British Territories in the Americas and the Caribbean Islands.

Latin American = Brazilians, French Guyanese, Haitians, Arubians and those from Curacao, ect.

[quote]

Except that most Haitians, French Guyanese etc., are not from France. So why are they Latin? Language? Is some one from Ivory Coast Latin?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey