Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2014, 11:57 AM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Philly is roundly despised by most. Let comedian Bill Burr go into more detail (definitely NSFW):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rNnkDjMVJqE
Lol. man he was tough on philly, hilariously funny though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:41 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
Lol. man he was tough on philly, hilariously funny though.
After like 8 hours of a comedy show the crowd booed Dom Irrera and that's what set him off.

The Joe Frazier/Rocky bit was so spot on. "statue of a 3 foot f-ing Italian"

"10 minutes left!" lol. Bill Burr has brass balls.

Old 10-16-2014, 11:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,903,434 times
Yes. But it also can vary based on context, behaviors, and persona!

Most Puerto Ricans are mixed!

Old 02-01-2016, 07:11 PM

1 posts, read 902 times
Default Puertorricans

When we puertorricans are asked in various documents or forms what race are we, we have to choose from white, African or African descent, or Asian. Remember I said race. The majority of us puertorricans are of mixed races, Spanish, native Indian and African. There are families in Puerto Rico that are not mixed, and are white, blue or green eyes and blonde hair, and as far as they can go back their great grandparents were "white" (Caucasian coming from European backgrounds, I.e Spain, Germany, Ireland, England, etc...) so although they are puertorricans because they were born in the island and stayed there for 140 years, they are white. If they said they were black or Asian they would be lying or laughed at. Now, given the options for us to choose from the above mentioned races we fall under white since we have many spaniard influences and genes in our families. If we are darker complected we proudly say we are of black race. When we choose our ethnicity we proudly state we are hispanic. So if you see a "white puertorrican" who looks like they might be from Ireland or Spain please don't argue with them and tell them that they are not of the white race because it makes no spence and you will loose the argument if the puertorrican knows his or her history. Thank you.

Old 02-01-2016, 08:48 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I have always been fascinated by how many Puerto Ricans in New Jersey have held on to their heritage at the same time assimilating to their home culture. As other ethnic groups in the past and continue to be doing. But it makes me wonder if Puerto Ricans are finally accepted into the mainstream culture considering the fact that they were here since the 1950s as the oldest Hispanic group. Any input?
If you are a white puerto rican descended from Euro settlers, then you will assimilate easier into mainstream white society. If you are a darker skin puerto rican or poorer, then most likely you will adopt the urban street culture that is associated with other poorer and disenfranchised groups within a given location.

Old 02-02-2016, 10:47 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mami516 View Post
It is spelled Guatemala learn how to spell before you post
I am Guatemalan and Costa Rican a blond green eye Guate Rican
Married to a pure German and my kids are blond and blue eyed
I guess I am white lmao
I am so dreadfully sorry for having a typo. Please forgive me

Old 02-06-2016, 01:58 PM

27 posts, read 57,227 times
No they're not. They probably want to be though, at the same time trying to be "down" and "hip" when the right time comes like every other race...just my two cents

Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,570,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by June87 View Post
No. You can't go to a country, any country, and speak a different language and have a different name and be considered part of a group that is there. If two guys looked the same and one was named John and the other was Julio, it's not the same. It's a different culture. Now, if Julio has a strange accent or doesn't speak English, I don't consider him white.

The majority of Puerto Ricans are not light skinned and the ones that are mostly don't have "white"/Europe features. As opposed to other Hispanics. I have met people from Spain who are fair skinned and spoke English well. I would consider them white.
Some one from Germany may not speak English well, is that person non white as well?

Puerto Rico despite your prejudices has one of the highest percentages of European ancestry in the Caribbean, if someone from PR is of European ancestry they would European features.

You are not alone in your misconception of Puerto Ricans all being dark complected. My friend from Puerto Rico was an exchange student in England when she was in High school. Her host family in England did not expect her to be white, because in their mind everyone from the West Indies is black, think Jamaica. She has red hair and freckles thanks to a grandfather from Germany and a great Grandmother from Ireland as well as her European heritage from Spain.

Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwolfer View Post
Some one from Germany may not speak English well, is that person non white as well?

Puerto Rico despite your prejudices has one of the highest percentages of European ancestry in the Caribbean, if someone from PR is of European ancestry they would European features.

You are not alone in your misconception of Puerto Ricans all being dark complected. My friend from Puerto Rico was an exchange student in England when she was in High school. Her host family in England did not expect her to be white, because in their mind everyone from the West Indies is black, think Jamaica. She has red hair and freckles thanks to a grandfather from Germany and a great Grandmother from Ireland as well as her European heritage from Spain.
puerto ricans are generally mixed culture.. hispanic, mullato, european white, black..

similarly, one could ask..
is tiger woods white?
is derek jeter white?

you can say some puerto ricans are part white european. puerto ricans with white european heritage is the small minority and not symbolic of the nationality as a whole, and generally in the upper class PR demographic.

Last edited by ControlJohnsons; 02-10-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 02-10-2016, 08:18 AM

1,278 posts, read 1,247,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaperez View Post
When we puertorricans are asked in various documents or forms what race are we, we have to choose from white, African or African descent, or Asian. Remember I said race. The majority of us puertorricans are of mixed races, Spanish, native Indian and African. There are families in Puerto Rico that are not mixed, and are white, blue or green eyes and blonde hair, and as far as they can go back their great grandparents were "white" (Caucasian coming from European backgrounds, I.e Spain, Germany, Ireland, England, etc...) so although they are puertorricans because they were born in the island and stayed there for 140 years, they are white. If they said they were black or Asian they would be lying or laughed at. Now, given the options for us to choose from the above mentioned races we fall under white since we have many spaniard influences and genes in our families. If we are darker complected we proudly say we are of black race. When we choose our ethnicity we proudly state we are hispanic. So if you see a "white puertorrican" who looks like they might be from Ireland or Spain please don't argue with them and tell them that they are not of the white race because it makes no spence and you will loose the argument if the puertorrican knows his or her history. Thank you.
there is categorization now called "non-hispanic white" in many govt forms to differentiate.

someone from puerto rico can choose to check hispanic or non-hispanic white depending on his ancestry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey