Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
ok, if you want to go that route then im sure you dont question the intelligence of george w. bush. he has a ba from yale and mba from harvard. you gonna tell me you never questioned his intelligence?

obama has a very intelligent teleprompter and i know he wont disclose his grades or SAT scores.

to be honest, im not sure how to accurately judge their intelligence levels and i generally dont care to. but i can say with absolute certainly that palin's intelligence isnt why liberals hate her. i also think its an obnoxious liberal elitist attitude where you see them attacking palin supporters and glenn beck listeners, etc. its not true that either are any less intelligent or informed as anyone else. stick to issues and not towards unfounded attacks on groups of people.
good point on bush. i realize some people get into schools they didn't deserve to be in on their own merit. i also know the ivy's are all tough schools, so if you can get through them, you've accomplished something. bush didn't speak well. obama does. i believe both of them are pretty intelligent. irregardless of their intelligence, i believe it's pretty obvious that palin dropped out of a lower-tier college, and that she doesn't speak well. i don't think it's a huge leap in assuming her to not be very intelligent. she is strong-willed, which i know some voters love, so when she speaks, people listen. she's also a savvy user of social media.

i can say with absolute certainty that palin's intelligence is why the liberals that dislike her do dislike her. as for palin and beck...i'm not sure why you speak of the two in the same sentence. beck makes money by spewing mostly garbage on a talk-show that is supposed to get people talking to increase ratings. he's very good at it, but if his viewers even remotely believe what he says,then they are absolutely less informed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 12:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
irregardless of their intelligence, i believe it's pretty obvious that palin dropped out of a lower-tier college, and that she doesn't speak well. i don't think it's a huge leap in assuming her to not be very intelligent. she is strong-willed, which i know some voters love, so when she speaks, people listen. she's also a savvy user of social media.

i can say with absolute certainty that palin's intelligence is why the liberals that dislike her do dislike her. as for palin and beck...i'm not sure why you speak of the two in the same sentence. beck makes money by spewing mostly garbage on a talk-show that is supposed to get people talking to increase ratings. he's very good at it, but if his viewers even remotely believe what he says,then they are absolutely less informed.
i think palin wasnt a very polished speaker when she was first chosen as VP. she was also very poorly handled by the mccain campaign. she has improved her speaking greatly since then.

im surprised you are sticking to the point that liberals dont like palin because of intelligence. i guess all the people they support are geniuses. i wish i could have a good measure of her intelligence but i dont so im not going to continue with that.

i mentioned beck because recently i had a facebook friend speak very negatively about him and then followed it up by calling all his listeners basically mindless idiots that follow everything he says. what you said about palin reminded me of that. i dont see how him or you could support that statement except that is what you like to assume about them. i believe they are likely people of varying intelligence levels that listen to a variety of politicians/talking heads and come to their own conclusions. but its more comforting to a liberal i suppose to believe these people are idiots and they are liberal geniuses among the rare breed of people who can think on their own. i think the unfortunate reality is that they arent as special as they think they are no matter what their mommies told them.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:54 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,406,479 times
Quote:
i think palin wasnt a very polished speaker when she was first chosen as VP. she was also very poorly handled by the mccain campaign. she has improved her speaking greatly since then.

im surprised you are sticking to the point that liberals dont like palin because of intelligence. i guess all the people they support are geniuses. i wish i could have a good measure of her intelligence but i dont so im not going to continue with that.

i mentioned beck because recently i had a facebook friend speak very negatively about him and then followed it up by calling all his listeners basically mindless idiots that follow everything he says. what you said about palin reminded me of that. i dont see how him or you could support that statement except that is what you like to assume about them. i believe they are likely people of varying intelligence levels that listen to a variety of politicians/talking heads and come to their own conclusions. but its more comforting to a liberal i suppose to believe these people are idiots and they are liberal geniuses among the rare breed of people who can think on their own. i think the unfortunate reality is that they arent as special as they think they are no matter what their mommies told them.
just because i think they are astonished by what she says and that it reflects their thoughts on her intelligence level, doesn't mean everyone they support is a genius. fabulous logical leap you made there though. beck is a very smart guy, i don't doubt that. but the vocal portion of his audience is kinda mindless when they repeat his words as facts when a simple google search shoots them right down.

bottom line, i know liberals, progressives, centrists, conservatives, and libertarians who all think palin should go away, and who think that she largely cost mccain the election. it has nothing to do with their political ideologies or philosophies, it has everything to do with what they think of their background and "experience" as a mayor, and her lovely claim that that makes her qualified (my father is a mayor of a small town too, love him to death, but he's not qualified to be vice president of the united states).

so, i don't know if you actually know anyone that dislikes palin and actually know why they do, and that any say it's because she's a "real conservative" and "unapologetic" and that she "fires up a lot of normal american conservatives, or if you just think that's what they think.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
but the vocal portion of his audience is kinda mindless when they repeat his words as facts when a simple google search shoots them right down.

bottom line, i know liberals, progressives, centrists, conservatives, and libertarians who all think palin should go away, and who think that she largely cost mccain the election. it has nothing to do with their political ideologies or philosophies, it has everything to do with what they think of their background and "experience" as a mayor, and her lovely claim that that makes her qualified (my father is a mayor of a small town too, love him to death, but he's not qualified to be vice president of the united states).

so, i don't know if you actually know anyone that dislikes palin and actually know why they do, and that any say it's because she's a "real conservative" and "unapologetic" and that she "fires up a lot of normal american conservatives, or if you just think that's what they think.
when do you even see beck supporters speaking? i see and hear talking heads, but i dont see their supporters enough to have any idea what they are like. thats one of the reasons why i thinking judging them is silly, they dont have a show.

mccain was a disgrace. i regret voting for him and may not have if palin werent on the ticket. i dont know if i can vote for romney if he ends up being the nominee. i think her polarization concerns republicans and they think she isnt electable. so many of them have turned on her for that. she isnt my favorite, but i definitely want her to give it a shot and see where the cards fall.

she quickly got a huge reaction of hatred from the left. you are right, im offering my best guess as to why. maybe there is a poll. im not sure what she is saying that is so shocking, i dont think she anything particularly out there. she wants to be seen as a regular person who is a true conservative. to me, her biggest negative is that i think she is too much of a political player now (she endorsed non-tea party candidates in the last election). i will not support anyone who isnt tea party endorsed.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:16 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,077,463 times
Quote:
when do you even see beck supporters speaking? i see and hear talking heads, but i dont see their supporters enough to have any idea what they are like. thats one of the reasons why i thinking judging them is silly, they dont have a show.

mccain was a disgrace. i regret voting for him and may not have if palin werent on the ticket. i dont know if i can vote for romney if he ends up being the nominee. i think her polarization concerns republicans and they think she isnt electable. so many of them have turned on her for that. she isnt my favorite, but i definitely want her to give it a shot and see where the cards fall.

she quickly got a huge reaction of hatred from the left. you are right, im offering my best guess as to why. maybe there is a poll. im not sure what she is saying that is so shocking, i dont think she anything particularly out there. she wants to be seen as a regular person who is a true conservative. to me, her biggest negative is that i think she is too much of a political player now (she endorsed non-tea party candidates in the last election). i will not support anyone who isnt tea party endorsed.
Let me get this straight. You disliked McCain, war hero and 30+ year senator but thought a half-term governor (who quit to make $ and be a media wh*re) of a state with less people than Essex County was legit?

Old 02-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Let me get this straight. You disliked McCain, war hero and 30+ year senator but thought a half-term governor (who quit to make $ and be a media wh*re) of a state with less people than Essex County was legit?
being a senator or congressman is a huge negative for me. legislators do nothing but sell their votes out to the highest bidder. id much rather have someone with zero political experience than a legislator.

i appreciate his military ervice to this country but that doesnt win him or anyone my vote.

with regard to palin, i like that she seems to think it is in her best interests to be as conservative as possible. as long as she acts consistent with a true conservative, my interests and hers are in alignment.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 02-28-2011 at 07:31 PM..

Old 02-28-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
being a senator or congressman is a huge negative for me. legislators do nothing but sell their votes out to the highest bidder. id much rather have someone with zero political experience than a legislator.

i appreciate his military ervice to this country but that doesnt win him or anyone my vote.

with regard to palin, i like that she seems to think it is in her best interests to be as conservative as possible. as long as she acts consistent with a true conservative, my interests and hers are in alignment.
She's a pull-the-string and spout whatever talking points she's fed. Outside of "I love Alaska & my family" I can't find 2 coherent policies that she's espoused on her own. She's not even taken serious by the Tea Party any longer. She's more of a circus sideshow like the Jersey Shore cast members.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
She's a pull-the-string and spout whatever talking points she's fed. Outside of "I love Alaska & my family" I can't find 2 coherent policies that she's espoused on her own. She's not even taken serious by the Tea Party any longer. She's more of a circus sideshow like the Jersey Shore cast members.
if she can say "cut taxes, cut spending" that works for me. in fact, if a politician campaigns only saying those 4 words and nothing else, they are virtually guaranteed my vote. unless another politician comes along and says those 4 words plus the 2 words "topless tuesdays."

Old 02-28-2011, 07:48 PM

Taxes aren't going any lower, we've been over this. We're fighting 2 wars and have huge budget deficits that further tax cutting is not going to solve. It would put us in further financial ruin.

Cutting taxes does not raise revenue. Never has, never will. You can't over-tax people to disincentivize them from working hard and you can't under-tax people so the nation collapses like a banana republic. There's a fine line

Old 02-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Taxes aren't going any lower, we've been over this. We're fighting 2 wars and have huge budget deficits that further tax cutting is not going to solve. It would put us in further financial ruin.

Cutting taxes does not raise revenue. Never has, never will. You can't over-tax people to disincentivize them from working hard and you can't under-tax people so the nation collapses like a banana republic. There's a fine line
i couldnt care less about raising revenue. that argument is pointless to me, i wouldnt want more money in government's hands. i will support whichever candidate is the most conservative. nothing good comes from government, i want it slashed. i dont need a super genius, their intelligence would be wasted in government.

oh and lets not forget, im a conservative. i dont ask anyone to give me everything i want overnight. i can wait for lower taxes if you slash government spending first. while normally id say we can gradually reduce the size of government and id be happy, i dont even think thats a real option. i can say it though if it makes you happy because what i think is going to happen isnt generally accepted by most people, yet. if the reality is that we can get away with slowly reducing the size of government over time, then im all for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey