Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 03:01 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
Oh Really? Could you expand on how my point was "not very smart?" Or you just being a contrarian for the hell of it?
the below thing you said:

Quote:
I can't tell you how many 'smart' kids bottomed out once they got to college and how many average kids were sleepers and found their way into decent careers after H.S. A lot of these 'smart' kids are just that -- books. Many can't juggle life once they are on their own. Just proves the fallacy of how great public schools are in NJ.
its the kind of thing people say when they dont fall into the 'smart' kids grouping. just like 99% of people that ever said "there is book smarts and street smarts." they say that because they believe they fall in the "street smarts" group.

the schools may give you the opportunity to do well in the real world (i doubt nj schools are really any better; its the students that determine the ratings), but nothing compares to quality breeding, a good family and natural intelligence.

Old 11-10-2014, 03:12 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,525,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
the below thing you said:

its the kind of thing people say when they dont fall into the 'smart' kids grouping. just like 99% of people that ever said "there is book smarts and street smarts." they say that because they believe they fall in the "street smarts" group.

the schools may give you the opportunity to do well in the real world (i doubt nj schools are really any better; its the students that determine the ratings), but nothing compares to quality breeding, a good family and natural intelligence.
My point being that NJ can tout high test scores for bragging rights, but they can't prep kids for life outside of high school. It's certainly not a panacea. If you can't do your laundry or drive a car, you're dumb in my book. I don't care what your SAT was (and truth be told, after you get into college nobody else does either.)

Old 11-10-2014, 04:52 PM

2,761 posts, read 3,428,453 times
There is economics, property value grows in districts with good school v bad schools. I mean it attracts a certain investor.

Schooling, is the kid making the right friends or is the kid becoming a trouble maker? Where is the best environment for the kid? I have a school where 90% go to college and I have a school where 30% go to college? Do I want an area with drugs or an area without drugs?

Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
I know doctors and dentists that graduated high school in the ghettos of Jersey City, Senior VPs at Goldman Sachs, Met Life, and Prudential that graduated from high school in Old Bridge, and a perpetual adolescent in her 30's that isn't the brightest bulb in the box and depends on the good will of her parents to afford rent in Manhattan who went through the Millburn school system. I also have a brother who went to a mediocre high school and could easily be a millionaire due to his tech savvy but is satisfied with earning six figures/year due to his own laziness. All of these people are first or second generation immigrants. Going to a good high school is a leg up in life, but the determination of one's spirit is what ultimately matters in America.

The sky is the limit in the USA, and you can GTFO if you don't believe in that.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,414,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I know doctors and dentists that graduated high school in the ghettos of Jersey City, Senior VPs at Goldman Sachs, Met Life, and Prudential that graduated from high school in Old Bridge, and a perpetual adolescent in her 30's that isn't the brightest bulb in the box and depends on the good will of her parents to afford rent in Manhattan who through the Millburn school districts. I also have a brother who went to a mediocre high school and could easily be a millionaire due to his tech savvy but is satisfied with earning six figures due to his own laziness. Going to a good high school is a leg up in life, but the determination of one's spirit is what ultimately matters in America.

A big non religious AMEN to that!!

Old 11-10-2014, 08:34 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
I know doctors and dentists that graduated high school in the ghettos of Jersey City, Senior VPs at Goldman Sachs, Met Life, and Prudential that graduated from high school in Old Bridge, and a perpetual adolescent in her 30's that isn't the brightest bulb in the box and depends on the good will of her parents to afford rent in Manhattan who went through the Millburn school system. I also have a brother who went to a mediocre high school and could easily be a millionaire due to his tech savvy but is satisfied with earning six figures/year due to his own laziness. All of these people are first or second generation immigrants. Going to a good high school is a leg up in life, but the determination of one's spirit is what ultimately matters in America.

I agree with what you say but people should be aware that being born into a good family is the biggest indicator of whether or not you will succeed.

Father
http://www.businessinsider.com/paren...quality-2014-1

Old 11-11-2014, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
All of this doesn't explain how Asian immigrants that goes to any public schools can get into top rated colleges including Ivy Leagues if their parents could afford it.

I think school safety is more important because you don't want to send you kid to a school in a tough neighborhood even though I went to Brooklyn Tech and it was in a tough neighborhood but it's nothing compared to school shootings today. In 4 years I was a BK Tech only twice I remembered someone was caught with firearms because they were carrying it for their own protection but nothing like today with all these emo kids.
Our child felt bullied/mad fun of in public school because he was smart....but, we found out he was physically bullied (for the first time) in the private school because of competition issues.....private is not always better.

Old 11-11-2014, 08:10 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,401,438 times
Quote:
My point being that NJ can tout high test scores for bragging rights, but they can't prep kids for life outside of high school. It's certainly not a panacea. If you can't do your laundry or drive a car, you're dumb in my book. I don't care what your SAT was (and truth be told, after you get into college nobody else does either.)
So only low quality high schools can prep students for life and only low quality schools teach laundry ? Your statement is pure nonsense.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:04 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
you think asian immigrants going to a crappy nyc school will go to top rated colleges at an equal rate to those asian immigrants going to a top rated nj high school?
It doesn't matter because where there is a will there will be better outcome. A rich kid going to a top rated nj high school may have an easier access to top rated colleges but they may not do well at a collegiate level. Someone who is gifted and go to a crappy school but finish with top honors in HS and earn their way to a top rated college usually do exceptionally well in college because they depend on scholarships to pay for their way unlike rich kids who may take things for granted.

I do know that most college interns that I've interviewed, the ones that come from rich families have this sense of entitlement while kids that earned their way up are the ones that have the poise or hunger to succeed.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:43 AM

36 posts, read 54,505 times
Quote:
I guess my real question is this. Does high school reputation really matter in the college admissions process? Is it worth moving to Ridgewood or Tenafly even if it means the competition is higher than say Hackensack or Paterson or even Fort Lee High or Ridgefield High?
\

I think it matters to a certain extent. I came from one of those consistently top performing high schools, and I can say with 100% certainty that I was well-prepared for college, as were the majority of my friends. We all pretty much coasted our first year. We were used to the demands of high volume work, many of us placed out of typical freshman classes, etc. Compare that with our peers in college, we watched several of them struggle academically the first year. I realize that this is purely anecdotal, but I do think that my high school prepared me for the more rigorous curriculum/homework/exam intensity of college. Also, knowing a group of kids from a lower performing school, they didn't have that experience and as adults, they said that they didn't think high school mattered at all. (We actually had this conversation once).

I think if you're comparing the Ridgewood/Tenafly caliber of education with the Hackensack/Paterson system, then yes, it does matter.

However, when you're talking Ridgewood/Tenafly vs. Northern Valley Old Tappan/Pascack Valley High Schools for example, then it's an entirely different conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey