Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,078,794 times

Advertisements

See if you could work from home a couple days a eeek. There's nothing worse than a long commute to NYC and then dealing with the nuttiness & cost of being in NYC each day. Might keep you sane for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 PM

10,224 posts, read 19,220,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiLIFE View Post
NY/NJ commute sucks from burbs. Most commuters lie about the time so they can feel better. I work with them. One commutes from Jefferson..."i am at the office in an hour" they claim with huge bags under their 33 year old eyes. Sure it takes an hour to get to the office.
Last Thursday... leave the house at 8:54. Get to train station and get on train at 9:06. Get to Penn by 9:35 or so, head over to the subway, two stops, up the elevator, and getting coffee by 9:42. That's my shortest commute, I grant you. Normally I leave ~8:55 and get to the coffee machine between 9:50 and 10:00. An hour commute with three forms of transportation still sucks, but it's bearable. No lies. I usually leave my desk at 6:00pm and am home by 7pm; if I have to work later there's plenty of additional trains.

For 50th and 8th there are lots of choices for tolerable commutes. Maybe not in Westfield. But you do have to plan carefully and watch the details.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 PM

331 posts, read 640,133 times
I agree that folks with long NJ-NYC commutes often .. "optimize" it for others. If I had to commute in every day, I'd just leave the area. It's not worth it for me to miss out on that much of my kids' lives for the sake of a few more dollars.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 6,669,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchawg View Post
I agree that folks with long NJ-NYC commutes often .. "optimize" it for others. If I had to commute in every day, I'd just leave the area. It's not worth it for me to miss out on that much of my kids' lives for the sake of a few more dollars.
Which is why there are plenty of comparably priced 600 sqft. 1 Bedroom apartments right in Manhattan to make it possible to minimize your commute, spend as much time as possible with your family... and make the time that much more intimate.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:39 PM

512 posts, read 1,018,811 times
SO/ Maplewood is the way to go. the express trains to midtown are 30 min. My advice is live near a train station. Walk or bike to station is was less stressful than driving. Buy a Condo in South Orange near the train station. You will thank me later. Thats what my brother did. Could not be happier.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:17 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,775,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the South View Post
Doesn't start until after 8pm (from what I heard) and it is NOT any faster than the express if you can catch it. Direct train is 45 minutes from Penn to Westfield and the express (including the annoying transfer) is the same.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:34 AM

331 posts, read 640,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckinsj
My advice is live near a train station. Walk or bike to station is was less stressful than driving.
This is really good advice. I live less than one minute's walk from the train in Mahwah. Initially I worried about noise, but with the windows closed, I don't hear anything loud. To be perfectly honest, I almost never notice the trains even when I'm outside now. It's incredibly convenient for commuting, plus you don't need a parking pass!

Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 PM

30 posts, read 59,243 times
live communally check out our single parent group on facebook new jersey parent collective

Old 05-02-2014, 10:32 AM

312 posts, read 686,436 times
This may not make a huge difference, but you could consider Springfield for a cheaper option. If you live off Mountain Ave or near Morris (east of Mountain), you can pick up a bus right into Port Authority. You then have a short (10-15 min) walk to 50th & 8th. You could also try living in the small section of Springfield just North of Morris Ave and west of Mountain. You could try to position yourself right on the border of Short Hills and then walk to the Short Hills train station.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:59 AM

141 posts, read 244,005 times
Maplewood/SO, New Providence, Summit, Chatham, Madison can you get you to the NYC in a hour or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey