Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM

137 posts, read 183,130 times

Advertisements

I'm always amazed people are content with $12k tax bills. Just because you earn a good wage doesn't mean you'd be willing to give it away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM

312 posts, read 686,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayorquimby View Post
I'm always amazed people are content with $12k tax bills. Just because you earn a good wage doesn't mean you'd be willing to give it away!
I'm not sure anyone is content with them, but what can you do? If you want a single family home with a reasonable commute to nyc, then you are likely paying that or more. If you don't have to commute to nyc, then that is a different story.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:23 AM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,134 times
Quote:

Obviously very content...NJ voters almost routinely vote for higher taxes...and more higher taxes to come....Fitch downgraded NJ again. We owe too much money so we have to increase taxes to pay our bills.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:30 PM

465 posts, read 607,756 times
Quote:

$12k is well below the average here in WF (unfortunately).

But I don't mind paying high taxes in Westfield because at least we get it back from the town in the form of good schools, town recreation, good library, good aggressive police, etc. I just wish we all could say the same about high taxes everywhere in NJ.

Old 05-13-2014, 11:45 AM

19 posts, read 46,384 times
There are some good suggestions here, including the Bergen County one (Ridgewood is very nice). Alternatively, you could try driving to Summit to park, to avoid the Westfield train line which I hear is particularly awful for time to the city. My realtor colleague told me lost of Westfield people drive to Summit to avoid the problem you describe.

BTW, like the last person above said, pat yourself on the back: you have two kids, a fulltime job, you work in the city-that's a big job you're doing. If I had that sort of commute, I'm not sure I would have handled all this.Congrats on being so amazing I really hope you find something soon to lighten your load.

Old 05-13-2014, 12:22 PM

312 posts, read 686,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expat Aussie in NJ View Post
There are some good suggestions here, including the Bergen County one (Ridgewood is very nice). Alternatively, you could try driving to Summit to park, to avoid the Westfield train line which I hear is particularly awful for time to the city. My realtor colleague told me lost of Westfield people drive to Summit to avoid the problem you describe.

BTW, like the last person above said, pat yourself on the back: you have two kids, a fulltime job, you work in the city-that's a big job you're doing. If I had that sort of commute, I'm not sure I would have handled all this.Congrats on being so amazing I really hope you find something soon to lighten your load.
It will probably cost quite a bit of money to park in Summit. I think I looked into it once, and it was like $280 per month. Not sure if you are allowed to use it, but Springfield has a jitney/shuttle that runs to the Short Hills train station (same line as Summit) for $50/month. I don't know if you need to be a Springfield resident or not.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:32 AM

165 posts, read 351,301 times
Selfishly bumping a few threads, but would be interested in where you will end up. We too need a good NYC commute and was encouraged by the good schooling in Westfield but not at the expense of hardly seeing our young kids

Old 06-15-2014, 07:18 AM

165 posts, read 351,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmeg View Post
You may want to check out Secaucus. I know the schools are not that great. But the commute surely is. We are in a similar situation as you except that I have a husband who works late hours. So I can understand as a working mum how much you long to spend more time with your children rather than commuting. There is a gated community known as Harmon Cove Towers here in Secaucus which has a shuttle service to the Secaucus station or direct bus to Port Authority. My husband works around 47th street 11 Ave and it takes him not more than 40 mins door to door by bus. There are so many professionals with young children living here. Some send their kids to private schools who don't like the public school system.

Another town to consider is Rutherford its just next to Secaucus. Again not excellent schools but okay. You have the bus option or train.

I am not sure how much the school system can do wonders. But my 2 boys are in Kindergarten and 1st grade in Secaucus public school. One always has Outstanding result and the other above average. We send them to Kumon for Maths to supplement their education.

Btw we are renting and looking to buy in Bergen county. Seen so many houses but there is nothing we like our budget is mid 400K only. But for your budget I bet you can find a nice place in Bergen commuter towns with excellent schools such as Glen Rock or Ridgewood. I know friends who commute to midtown from here and it takes them 1 hr up but they are all living at no more than 5-or 10 mins walk to the station.

In short you will have to sacrifice somewhere I doubt in NJ good schools and easy commute go hand in hand. Good luck!
So Glen Rock and Ridgewood would keep commute to a little over an hour and regardless be a measurable difference in commute than say Westfield? And would ridgewood be another 5 minutes since it is just one stop away?

Old 06-15-2014, 04:51 PM

198 posts, read 276,858 times
Here's my suggestion. It worked for me.

Find a job in Newark, NJ. That's right, Newark. your commute will shorter and cheaper. There are plenty of jobs in Newark. Since you are a lawyer, try one of the legal firms in Newark.

Once you have a job, find a house around the Metro Park train station.

That's the plan to help you in your predicament.

You can thank me later.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 1,604 times
Winnifus, where did you end up moving? How do you like your new town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey