Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 04:44 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Boat View Post
I read your post and liked it. Those people in the Verizon store=jerks!
Thanks..

Old 11-19-2009, 05:54 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfabian View Post
Face it if you had a choice and money wasn't an issue, would you choose NJ to live? I doubt it. If you say yes then I say "how unimaginative". North Jersey is just another dump like Staten Island and south jersey is just pigmy pine forest. Do you really think that the pigmy pine forest is aesthetic? It's just flat terrain with alot of ugly looking pine trees crowded together inhibiting you so you can't see very far. the only thing the south jersey soil is good for is growing cranberries (in a bog). Remember Kean's commercial "NJ and you perfect together"-- what a joke that is--he should have been doing that commercial while standing next to some medical waste washed up on LBI. I've been stuck in NJ a long time so I think I have the right to these observations. south jersey is what it has always been --Philadephia's b-tch.

I still cannot understand how that golf course built on a toxic waste dump in Hoboken was made to be a stop on the PGA tour. I guess its the idea ($'s) that you can attract every piece of human garbage from the metro area. I wouldn't step foot on that surface. the south jersey courses are mostly bugwackitville. that piece of junk in tuckerton is really pathetic. I guess when you live in jersey you just lower your expectations. even north jersey courses like baltisrol and canoe brook are extremely overrated. One day at the Dunes in florida and you won't hit another ball in jersey. Pennsylvania has some nice tracts though with such rich green surfaces like Arnie's old stomping grounds (Latrobe).

What do you have against NJ? The vast majority of North Jersey is NOTHING like S.I. I have a friend who lived in S.I. for a few year and HATED it with a passion. You know, a LOT of people find the Pine Barrens mysterious and beautiful. The trees don't obscure the view, they ARE the view. South Jersey also has world class beaches in LBI and Cape May County (w/o the medical waste than-you very much. Last time that happened, it was because a P.A. dentist was dumping his needles in one of the back bays). It's good not only for growing Cranberry's and blueberries, but also award winning wines as well. Wines that can compete with Napa Valley. South Jersey is not Philadelphia's b*tch.

The A.C. golf course is supposed to be REALLY nice, and Monclair Golf Club is the preffered golf club of members of the NY Yankees and many other pro-atheltes as well as the P.G.A.

Everyone has their opinions, and Jersey is not ment for all people. If it's not ment for you, that doesn't mean it's a sh*t hole. Your deffinition of beauty and mine are two different things. I'm in awe at the erie sight of a swamp in the Pinelands, or a Bald Eagle soaring above the marshes by the Delaware Bay.

Old 11-20-2009, 08:02 AM

48 posts, read 139,554 times
NJ is fair game and as far as the "yankees stuff on the golf course goes"-- well, I hate all yankees, especially the ones from the bronx. Bring back the Bonnie Blue flag. I have to say that the only historical significance NJ has for me is the Rebel POW cemetary (from Fort Deleware) in Salem county. Its important to remember the cold blooded (blue blooded) horror the "yankees" inflicted. They truly were the original nazis. So a sporting team that glamorizes the term 'yankee' is pandering to the uneducated masses.

I believe that beings with limited life experience will defend NJ. If you've been around then you can see jersey for what it is. Whenever I choose to drive that metal box to the city (instead of the subway which is what I usually take) from brooklyn at least I don't have to pay a bridge or tunnel toll. Can New Jerseyans say that? Reach out of the darkness they call the garden state parkway and get out of your metal box.

The biggest joke is surfing on LBI. everytime I see that ron jon surf shop there I think of the famous line in Apocolypse Now when an soldier suggested to Major Bill Kilgore that he surf somewhere else and his reply was. "What do you know about surfing soldier your from G-d damn New Jersey". that kind of sums up NJ for you--wanna bees who wouldn't last 10 seconds at Huntington Beach (California that is). You only have one life to live. why permanently plant yourself in G-d damn NJ.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:30 AM

20 posts, read 46,559 times
You may know Florida well, but so do I.

I dont think a mudslinging fest about Florida vs. NJ is really a worthwhile battle. I like cold weather, snow, mountains, and good cities nearby. Sounds like you enjoy sunshine. But, as an aside, many people I met in Florida couldnt wait to get the heck out. Apparently, we have talked to different people.

I am doing a ton of research on my move. I have visited several times over the past year and look at jobs, apartment rentals, etc. on a daily basis. As for high real estate taxes and hassle commuting...have you ever lived in the Bay Area? Southern NJ cost of living is nothing in comparsion to living just north of the Golden Gate Bridge -- one of the highest costs of living in the entire country. I dont plan on owning a home for quite awhile, so if all you have is commute and high real estate that is turning you off, Ill take it!

Quote:
I know florida well and lived there in my youth. florida is 1000 times better (especially the sw) than NJ. wait until Jan or Feb and you see the hassle commuting in the cold with the limited (compared to NY) public transportation. Whenever I go to florida I meet so many ex jersyans who are just so happy to be in sunny flor-eye-da and out of that arm pit we call NJ. anyway best of luck in whatever decision you make but please don't make the mistake of romanticizing NJ. That's the last state I would romanticize. sometimes its kind to be cruel and I'm just calling it for what it is. NJ--high real estate taxes and a hassle commuting. do some real groundwork before you make a move

I am in San Francisco right now. Spent most of my life in Florida, but was born in NY. I have no desire to ever live in Florida again. It's just not for me.

I like the proximity of NJ. NY, Phili, D.C., Boston -- all a train ride away. I'm a little bummed that you think NJ is a "big nothing." I've been there several times and have done a ton of research on the area. Blueberry fields, rivers, mountains, beaches, etc. There are farmer's markets galore with fresh produce. You can be in the middle of nowhere in nature and then 30 minutes later be in Atlantic City. For an adventurous girl like myself, I don't think that's a whole lot of nothing.

"It sounds like your not in Fla. now but given a choice I'd opt to transition back to Fla. It's such a pretty place to be and you have family there (sunshine all year round also is great) NJ is a big nothing. Being close to Philadephia is nothing to feel good about. Philadelphia is just a slum. If you really like the northeast then why not just move directly to NYC or one of its boroughs. Most NJ residents become day trippers commuting to NYC anyway."
[/quote]

Old 11-22-2009, 05:46 AM

48 posts, read 139,554 times
Sounds fine, but realize that its so cheap to buy a home in florida now, if you could find a way, wouldn't that be the wisest move since your in transition now.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:34 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,538 times
Quote:
In the end when you live in NJ or LI you sort of develope the personality of a wet rag. I can spot a day-tripper a mile away. The most depressing feeling is waiting for a bus or getting off a bus at Port Authority. It's like the play Ragtime when an immigrant couldn't understand why a ship was sailing "away" from the USA.

Furthermore, those that choose eastern LI and south jersey are really just living their life on the LIE and GSP. It's a bullsh-t kind of existence all based on some perceived image that someone is gauking at their house. I lived on LI for a long time and it too is like NJ in that their is an overly dependency on the metal box for everything. I tend to see the average LIslander and Jerseyan as heavier on the average than the urban individual (there are exceptions) and I would attribute it to the utter dependency on that metal box, which makes all those middle east terrorist puppet states very happy. Suburban sprawl is keeping those jerkwater places wealthy. What will LIsanders and Jerseyans do if gas prices double? They will "try" to sell their house and move to the city. So there you have it. It's an obvious game of dominos and the biggest domino is gas prices. I'll just get on the subway and laugh at the lack of forsight. Most don't realize that builders care only about is selling the house. They will build a house anywhere. North Jersey is a real joke with people living in little sh-t boxes and paying $7k to $10k in real estate taxes.

Places like Fairlawn etc. are just zeros as far as a place to be. On Sunday Bergen County forces the malls and non-food stores to close. Must be related to some gentile religious bs. So what do the wet-rag personalities do on Sunday--they crowd together like predictable sheep at Whole Foods aimlessly sitting around.-- It's their "big event".

Take Lakewood for example, if that isn't an example of pigs in sh-t. Nothing aesthetic about that town at all and yet hords of so called "observant" beings gravitated there. Are they blind? Can they think that walking on Rte. 9 to shul on shabbos is a great experience. It's the stupidist looking thing to see. If your that observant then stay in the city where you can have a quality shabbos in a place that has all the amenities like a nice walkway on Ocean parkway with so many shuls to choose from.

I would beg to differ on the NJ side of things here. I find people from NJ to have A LOT of personality and to be very interesting people. As a resident of South Jersey, I NEVER use the Parkway and rode on it for the first time last year during my first semester away at college in North Jersey. For the most part, people in South Jersey (as in south of Toms River) don't use the Parkway. IF, and I mean IF we use a toll road it's probably the expressway, maybe the Turnpike or the Parkway to get to North Jersey, but that's about it. We're dependent on cars yes, but we get plenty of exercise out in our yards tending to them, or working on our farms, hiking in the woods etc. Personally, I always assumed that city people would be more obese, not having yards to work in etc. As a South Jersey resident I'm trying to see what I can do to expand mass transit, but being that it's rural out here (which is a good thing) and it would make no sense for anyone with a drivers license to take a bus. I have more to say on this, but not enough time to type it all out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey