Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 05:29 PM

71 posts, read 321,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
Speaking as a third generation Italian American who has lived in Lodi for over 40 years I find your "off the boat" comment to be very offensive. FYI, the overwhelming majority of those Italian Americans families who still reside in Lodi have been in this country for three and four generations. I doubt you've ever even been in Lodi from your comment. Also it's mostly hispanic these days as many Italian Americans have moved on to greener pastures. I also see you have moved or will be moving out of NJ. Funny way to show your devoted love.
Actually, My MOM was ON THE BOAT. My Grandmother, Grandfather and their three small children came to the USA in 1935. They settled in Fort Lee, where my Grandfather worked in the aluminum factory in Edgewater. If my "OFf the boat" comment insulted you, then you have issues within yourself, because THAT IS WHERE THEY CAME FROM, OFF OF THE BOAT. I hope that insults you. YES, where I grew up, in Fort Lee, Garfield and Lodi, there were thousands of families where the grandparents came right "Off THe Boat" and brought all of their amazing culture into our everyday lives. You're just one of those people that has a problem with anything.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,372,348 times
Jersey is going down the tubes.. face it. I grew up there and moved out last year.. Most corrupt state, totally overcrowded, and now an influx of illegal immigrants are making their way in.. There is not one good thing Jersey has going for it... 20+ years ago, yeah - great state. Now??? You are all fooling yourselves if you think otherwise.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM

5,818 posts, read 12,629,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Jersey is going down the tubes.. face it. I grew up there and moved out last year.. Most corrupt state, totally overcrowded, and now an influx of illegal immigrants are making their way in.. There is not one good thing Jersey has going for it... 20+ years ago, yeah - great state. Now??? You are all fooling yourselves if you think otherwise.
Todd, This is the reason I like NJ. Corruption, overcrowded, over taxed, illegal immigrants all over. This is the only reason to stay here. It gives us something to ***** and moan about daily. Without this I would have to lead a stressless, undertaxed, no crowds, lilly white way of life. To boring for me. I wouldn't have to balance my checkbook and live a wonderful peaceful way of life.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:13 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,522,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JERSEY MAN View Post
Todd, This is the reason I like NJ. Corruption, overcrowded, over taxed, illegal immigrants all over. This is the only reason to stay here. It gives us something to ***** and moan about daily. Without this I would have to lead a stressless, undertaxed, no crowds, lilly white way of life. To boring for me. I wouldn't have to balance my checkbook and live a wonderful peaceful way of life.
You and I may have had our differences but you make me laugh!!!!

Old 04-13-2008, 04:50 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlGuy View Post
Speaking as a third generation Italian American who has lived in Lodi for over 40 years I find your "off the boat" comment to be very offensive.

I see you're one of those thin skinned PC guys who I wish would take long walks off of short cliffs.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:20 PM

109 posts, read 345,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
[/typical NJ forum poster] yeah, but we have the best pizza! [/typical NJ forum poster]

In all seriousness, I agree. This state needs to push a big reset button. Maybe once all the baby-boomers retire the state will finally go bankrupt.

Old 09-30-2009, 05:39 PM

48 posts, read 139,554 times
LBI is nice in July and August and that's the only reason that I stayed in Barnegat so long but overall the shore is basically "been there, done that enough". After all the shore is not a tropical area, its just a close place to fake a vacation at. During the off season the shore is the most depressing place. Just empty except for us residents. Who wants to feel isolated in a four season climate? Everytime, I get north, close to the big apple it feels like I just woke up from a long sleep in the darkness (southern part of the parkway is so dark, isn't it. It feel like your going "down the river" and wonder why are you going the wrong way ie away from civilization.It's like your being needs to see the pulse of an urban metropolis. You go crazy just being satisfied with your postage stamp suburban piece of property and a house. In the winter, you freeze your ass off physically and psychologically. You just feel too far from civilization so all you do is crawl around a Walmart etc. We all fall prisoner to that behavior. Barnegat, while being a nice town its just dull normal way to pass your life by. Be a happy clam and sit in your house waiting for life to go by. Vicariously, live your life through your child attending school which seems to be the highlight of the entire day for the unemployed masses. And no matter how many attempts are made to normalize the town it still exists because its a cheap place to live. Mostly, a gentile town also with the big excitement being pirates day or some other mindless nonsense.

Old 09-30-2009, 06:10 PM

7 posts, read 9,106 times
Huge thread bump! Also whenever someone talks trash about Jersey, just show them this post.us

Old 09-30-2009, 06:32 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhomie View Post
Huge thread bump! Also whenever someone talks trash about Jersey, just show them this post.us
I just looked at his blog entry; he's from Brooklyn. I'm pretty sure that things like nature, the outdoors, local history are all lost on him.

Neon, hot clubs, Vietnamese food, yeah, that's what Barnegat needs.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:04 AM

20 posts, read 46,559 times
Default Great post

I was born in NY, grew up in Florida, and now have lived in San Francisco for 6+ years. I had the pleasure of visiting NJ several times this past year and can't seem to get the moving bug out of my system. I love the idea of having NYC and Phili a stone's throw away. I love that the mountains are up NW and the beach is plentiful. The diversity of culture and land is magical to me.

My family is mostly in Florida, but I do have family in Staten Island. Although I don't have family in NJ, they would be much closer than California. San Fran is a place for transplants and is not so family focused. Do you all think it would be horribly difficult for a late 20's gal to transition into NJ hardly knowing anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey