Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 08:06 PM

7 posts, read 17,827 times

Advertisements

Busybodies? Try living in a 150 unit apartment building with neighbors to your right, left, underneath, on top, etc. You cannot help but ride in an elevator with them, bump into them getting your mail, see them while coming and going in and out of the lobby and door...thats NYC.

And the fun really starts when there is a nutjob who starts causing trouble

Old 11-17-2009, 08:07 PM

195 posts, read 492,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
You the owner of that escapefromjersey blog. I was there last week. You gotta good blog.
Thanks, glad you enjoy it.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybebaby9 View Post
Busybodies? Try living in a 150 unit apartment building with neighbors to your right, left, underneath, on top, etc. You cannot help but ride in an elevator with them, bump into them getting your mail, see them while coming and going in and out of the lobby and door...thats NYC.

And the fun really starts when there is a nutjob who starts causing trouble
It's all relative, I suppose. But I'm referring not so much to being crammed on top of one's neighbors, where it's difficult to not end up in each other's business, but rather living around folks that go out of their way to get in your business. And I don't mean those that are neighborly, that's something else entirely, and I welcome that.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:30 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,538 times
Quote:
Well, all I gotta say is that if you want people to be all up in your business without even asking, come over here. If you're an introvert like me who isn't used to having people focus on you and what you do, come live here. It's really scary and sad at the same time. It's not even cause people are paranoid such as myself where they study their environment. There's seems to be a lot of people that just love to mind everybody's business BUT their own.
which here, that sounds like anywhere on earth

Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
which here, that sounds like anywhere on earth
Agree but I notice it happens here more so than somewhere like New York. I noticed that in New York, people actually mind their business, they keep it moving. That can be a good or a bad thing but to me, that's all good because you don't have people looking at your every move. I remember the other day, I was walking passed two middle aged woman who were crossing the street in front of oncoming traffic and they're busy paying attention to me, talking about "he thinks he's a badass". I'm thinking to myself "Why they busy paying attention to me when she would be 50 pounds lighter if she paid attention to herself?" because one of the woman that was running their mouths about me barely made it across the street before the lights turned green. She had to be 200 pounds struggling to avoid the cars that would have ran them over but she's focused on me.

And then I go to the Verizon Wireless store, to pay my cell phone bill and there's some people behind me laughing at how I'm putting the money in the cell phone machine, talking about me while I'm at the machine paying the cell phone bill. I'm thinking it's the workers in the store since there's the customer service counter in back of me so I decided to turn around after about 5 minutes of this laughing and s_ittalking going on with me being the main subject. I see three customers all standing around who were supposed to be paying attention to the people handling their little issue with their cell phone or whatever. I don't know but they're all talking about me and how the money I'm putting in the machine isn't going in and how I don't know how to use the billing machine. I don't know them. I don't see what's the comedy in that. Then I decided to turn around again and one of them starts looking at me with this serious look like he's about to do something to me. Now I could have made a scene because they were the ones that were trying to provoke me but I kept it moving.

That's the thing about people over here too. It's the thing for people to talk sh_t about your face if they don't like you and be blatantly disrespectful to you even if you didn't do anything to them. I don't know why they do it like they're untouchable or something. Then when somebody gets put in their place, for example, punched in the mouth or insulted to the point where they can't say a thing, they wonder what they did wrong and they want to apologize when the situation is over like it matters. What's the point? You crossed the line already so why step back. Like the idiot that called me ugly at my job, I brushed off his comment and he tried to apologize to me like he didn't mean it. You dissed me and you wanna be all apologetic when you realize how stupid you came off dissing me for no reason.. Sucker ass.

Last edited by angerinthenation; 11-17-2009 at 10:27 PM..

Old 11-17-2009, 11:15 PM

127 posts, read 311,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
It's all relative, I suppose. But I'm referring not so much to being crammed on top of one's neighbors, where it's difficult to not end up in each other's business, but rather living around folks that go out of their way to get in your business. And I don't mean those that are neighborly, that's something else entirely, and I welcome that.
I had more busybodies in my life when I lived in AZ and in Tampa than I ever had in NJ, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
I had more busybodies in my life when I lived in AZ and in Tampa than I ever had in NJ, so I don't know what you're talking about.
Personal experience, just like you noted. That we've had different experiences is not to say that either of us is right or wrong. But having lived in the south and the midwest as well as NJ, it's been my observation that NJ has far more busybodies.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:44 PM

127 posts, read 311,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Personal experience, just like you noted. That we've had different experiences is not to say that either of us is right or wrong. But having lived in the south and the midwest as well as NJ, it's been my observation that NJ has far more busybodies.
But having lived in the south and southwest as well as NJ it's been my observation that NJ has far fewer busybodies.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,963,231 times
I've come to understand that many, many people in NJ project their negative personal attributes, feelings about themselves, general attitude about life on the Garden State.
I've come to the conclusion we are almost trained by the NY media to feel bad about the place we come from. We have to justify who we are constantly. It becomes an easy out for explaining your personal anguish (whatever that may be).
In turn, all of the miserable individuals that reside in NJ are able to say "Hey, It's not me. It's NJ! Yea, that's it. That's what is wrong. I'm okay. It's NJ, not me. It could NEVER BE ME!". It's a way to not take a good, long, hard look in the mirror & realize that most of the people around you are living & enjoying life.

Just take a look at the general tone in all of the posts with regard to the usual suspects who bash NJ in this forum. Notice anything? It becomes quite telling when you see the trend.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:53 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,886,538 times
Quote:
Agree but I notice it happens here more so than somewhere like New York. I noticed that in New York, people actually mind their business, they keep it moving. That can be a good or a bad thing but to me, that's all good because you don't have people looking at your every move. I remember the other day, I was walking passed two middle aged woman who were crossing the street in front of oncoming traffic and they're busy paying attention to me, talking about "he thinks he's a badass". I'm thinking to myself "Why they busy paying attention to me when she would be 50 pounds lighter if she paid attention to herself?" because one of the woman that was running their mouths about me barely made it across the street before the lights turned green. She had to be 200 pounds struggling to avoid the cars that would have ran them over but she's focused on me.

And then I go to the Verizon Wireless store, to pay my cell phone bill and there's some people behind me laughing at how I'm putting the money in the cell phone machine, talking about me while I'm at the machine paying the cell phone bill. I'm thinking it's the workers in the store since there's the customer service counter in back of me so I decided to turn around after about 5 minutes of this laughing and s_ittalking going on with me being the main subject. I see three customers all standing around who were supposed to be paying attention to the people handling their little issue with their cell phone or whatever. I don't know but they're all talking about me and how the money I'm putting in the machine isn't going in and how I don't know how to use the billing machine. I don't know them. I don't see what's the comedy in that. Then I decided to turn around again and one of them starts looking at me with this serious look like he's about to do something to me. Now I could have made a scene because they were the ones that were trying to provoke me but I kept it moving.

That's the thing about people over here too. It's the thing for people to talk sh_t about your face if they don't like you and be blatantly disrespectful to you even if you didn't do anything to them. I don't know why they do it like they're untouchable or something. Then when somebody gets put in their place, for example, punched in the mouth or insulted to the point where they can't say a thing, they wonder what they did wrong and they want to apologize when the situation is over like it matters. What's the point? You crossed the line already so why step back. Like the idiot that called me ugly at my job, I brushed off his comment and he tried to apologize to me like he didn't mean it. You dissed me and you wanna be all apologetic when you realize how stupid you came off dissing me for no reason.. Sucker ass.

Gotta say, I've haven't seen that (or done that) too much. Could just be your part of Jersey.

Also, I love it here, I mean yes there's problems, but I like the weather, the scenery, the people, the food, wawa, the shore, the bay, proximity to Philly, NYC, Boston, and D.C. It's nice, I get my rurual setting, but with easy proximity to the city (and by "city" In mean Philly and A.C. not Manhattan I hate how North Jersey people call Manhatten "The City")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey