Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2020, 01:32 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times

Advertisements

Trees down galore in my area in Morris County (live in a heavily wooded area). These arent small or medium sized trees, these are 100+ year old oak trees. Took a ride out powerlines down everywhere, even highway rt 10 was closed because trees knocked down covering the width of half the highway.

Ive already been told expect the power back on anytime between now and 9 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2020, 04:48 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
No estimates yet for return of power.

I have been awake since 4:30. Once I woke up, the noise of the generator from the house behind me made it impossible to get back to sleep.

Finally got up, took the wet clothes out of the washing machine from yesterday, and hung them all around to dry.

Now to boil coffee on top of the stove, which I CAN light with a lighter since it is a gas stove!

Old 08-05-2020, 04:55 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potanta View Post
Not even an earthquake has ever destroyed where I live out here.
... yet...
As most of us learned many years ago, never say "never", lest karma catches up with you.

And then, there are California's annual droughts, followed by annual wildfires, followed by annual landslides.
Every state is exposed to various sorts of natural disasters. They differ somewhat from one state to another, but natural disasters are a part of life--no matter where one might live.

Old 08-05-2020, 05:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,197,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
And you think the government should mandate electric cars by 2035? Electric grid is as fragile as the utility poles around your town.

Most of the electrical lines in my area are underground, no utility poles.

Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 AM

585 posts, read 492,975 times
Another storm that shows how woefully underprepared our state is. The power infrastructure is pathetic.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:09 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,640,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjinnj View Post
Another storm that shows how woefully underprepared our state is. The power infrastructure is pathetic.

Are other states better prepared in this regard?

I don't know that I would describe losing power after a hurricane as pathetic. If that's the worst thing that happened after a natural disaster then it wasn't really all that disastrous.

Reminds me of a Louis CK bit where he talks about being on one of the first flights to ever offer WiFi while in the air. About halfway through the flight, the WiFi stopped working, and many passengers were heard complaining about what BS it was that is wasn't working. They literally had no idea that service would even be offered before boarding the flight but were complaining when it stopped working. We've become pretty entitled as people.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:25 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Are other states better prepared in this regard?

I don't know that I would describe losing power after a hurricane as pathetic. If that's the worst thing that happened after a natural disaster then it wasn't really all that disastrous.

Reminds me of a Louis CK bit where he talks about being on one of the first flights to ever offer WiFi while in the air. About halfway through the flight, the WiFi stopped working, and many passengers were heard complaining about what BS it was that is wasn't working. They literally had no idea that service would even be offered before boarding the flight but were complaining when it stopped working. We've become pretty entitled as people.
i see people on my town facebook page complaining about how its taking so long, where is the mayor, why does the power always go out, etc. . . why dont thy just get generators? there is a solution to their problem.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i see people on my town facebook page complaining about how its taking so long, where is the mayor, why does the power always go out, etc. . . why dont thy just get generators? there is a solution to their problem.
Lol, what do they expect the mayor to do?

Generators are great. My Canadian connection has one to keep him going during winter outages.

I cannot have one here because I am in a condo. Safety/fire issue. But if I was in a regular house, I would.

Old 08-05-2020, 10:36 AM

I have a thing against wasting food, and it appears I am going to have to toss a lot of very expensive fish.

Broken pole and wires at town entrance should be fixed by 5, but when we can hook into the larger grid could be days. They are bringing in crews from other states.

Old 08-05-2020, 11:55 AM

Got a call that free water and ice would be distributed by JCPL at a nearby ShopRite. Went. Saw some neighbors there, but no ice and no water.

Well, you can buy water inside the store. They are out of ice, of course, like everyone else.

To be fair, JCPL never said WHEN this would occur!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey