Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 04:37 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Northern Ocean County.. Walmart in Brick was closed today due to a power outage.

During the storm... I was driving on 295. A gust of wind caught the side of the car and blew me across a lane, and a van in front of me. Whoa. And my car is not light, it is more heavy than light..

I hate your County. No offense lol
Lol I am not the county, so I am not offended, but I never knew anyone to hate a county!

Still no power. Hoping for today, but it might be tomorrow. House behind me got power back, I believe. Their generator stopped running yesterday

Old 08-06-2020, 06:14 AM

2,227 posts, read 1,404,431 times
One positive side of this is that the hot weather has left for some time and we are getting a stretch of nice temperatures in the 60-80 F range. But that didn’t have to come after a tropical storm. Yesterday was a beautiful day in terms of weather.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 06:52 AM

585 posts, read 492,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Are other states better prepared in this regard?

I don't know that I would describe losing power after a hurricane as pathetic. If that's the worst thing that happened after a natural disaster then it wasn't really all that disastrous.

Reminds me of a Louis CK bit where he talks about being on one of the first flights to ever offer WiFi while in the air. About halfway through the flight, the WiFi stopped working, and many passengers were heard complaining about what BS it was that is wasn't working. They literally had no idea that service would even be offered before boarding the flight but were complaining when it stopped working. We've become pretty entitled as people.
I don't live in other states, I live in NJ, so I really don't care what other states are doing.

Did we learn nothing after Sandy? Why are towns still planting trees underneath power lines? And losing power can be fatal to some people, maybe not you and Louis CK, but some people count on power for their healthcare. Then there are the numerous additional jobs that this storm is cause people to lose as some business .

But I guess folks jobs and health aren't important in your opinion.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:58 AM

668 posts, read 471,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrioticSuperman View Post
Northern Ocean County.. Walmart in Brick was closed today due to a power outage.

During the storm... I was driving on 295. A gust of wind caught the side of the car and blew me across a lane, and a van in front of me. Whoa. And my car is not light, it is more heavy than light..

I hate your County. No offense lol

295 doesn't run through Monmouth County ?

Old 08-06-2020, 08:21 AM

My neighbor was just out walking her dog and said she got a text last night from JCP&L that all power to their customers will be restored by...August 11.

I did not get the text. Maybe because I have a 201 area code?

Old 08-06-2020, 08:29 AM

19,128 posts, read 25,336,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My neighbor was just out walking her dog and said she got a text last night from JCP&L that all power to their customers will be restored by...August 11.
Unfortunately, JCP&L has a far, far worse record of power outages than PSEG.
When I first considered buying my home, it appeared that the local utility was JCP&L, and that would have ended the deal. Luckily, I was able to confirm that the local utility was PSEG, so I went ahead with the purchase. In 24 years, the only power outage that lasted for more than 30 minutes or so was in the aftermath of Sandy. That outage lasted for 3 or 4 days.

Old 08-06-2020, 09:04 AM

Just got my JCP& L BILL, though!

They really do suck. Yesterday they made a mass call giving locations in the area which they would be providing water and ice to customers at local supermarkets.

They never actually showed. The stores had no ice and no idea what people were talking about.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-06-2020 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-06-2020, 09:09 AM

118 posts, read 66,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
The lights flickered a few times, but we never lost power.
In my yard, there are a LOT of tree limbs down.
In Bridgewater, a stretch of Rt 22 had to be closed as a result of a transformer fire.
Yup- my area.
we lost power AFTER the storm and it wasnt restored until 10am yesterday

Old 08-06-2020, 09:12 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
My power went out 4:30pm yesterday (after the storm). Not supposed to come back on until 11pm tomorrow. All the food is spoiled. Can't go to a restaurant thanks to Murphy's COVID policies. When the power comes back on no doubt the stores will be cleaned out (especially since Shop Rite West Orange lost power and they're the biggest store around). It's really hot and really loud because of my neighbors with generators. All in all, this year is disaster.

Did a bike ride earlier. Saw lots of downed trees in Summit, mostly just branches elsewhere (Livingston, W.O., Chatham, Madison, Morris Twp). Didn't hear any chainsaws or see any work crews, except one in Green Village not working.
haha, sucks to have to listen to the generators go but not have any power yourself.

my generator is actually located right outside of my bedroom (bedroom is 2nd level). its not loud, it makes a relatively low hum that hasnt impacted my ability to sleep. you cant really hear it anywhere else in the house.

sounds like a lot of people got a text about restoration by 8/11.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM

Anybody know where there is a stray cat colony in eastern Monmouth County? My fish is thawing. I can cook it, but I can't eat it all. Thought I'd feed cats rather than toss it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey