Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 06:32 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
...and are PSE&G customers.
Yes, there is that pesky detail.
IMHO, this just adds to the body of evidence that JCP&L customers are almost always at a disadvantage, as compared to PSEG customers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 06:50 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, there is that pesky detail.
IMHO, this just adds to the body of evidence that JCP&L customers are almost always at a disadvantage, as compared to PSEG customers.

I notice a huge difference. Having lived in north Jersey (Bergen/Passaic Counties) most of my life, I always had PSE&G. I have experienced more outages in the past ten years living in Monmouth with JCP&L than I did in all the other 50+ years with PSE&G, even taking Sandy out of the equation. NEVER EVER did I go an entire day without power with PSE&G, let alone three. Power outages were a few hours.

Old 08-18-2020, 07:28 AM

19,125 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
I notice a huge difference. Having lived in north Jersey (Bergen/Passaic Counties) most of my life, I always had PSE&G. I have experienced more outages in the past ten years living in Monmouth with JCP&L than I did in all the other 50+ years with PSE&G, even taking Sandy out of the equation. NEVER EVER did I go an entire day without power with PSE&G, let alone three. Power outages were a few hours.
Yes, with the exception of the effects of Superstorm Sandy--when I was w/o power for 3 days--I have never experienced a PSEG power outage of more than an hour or two, and even those are rare. I think that one of the main reasons for PSEG's superior reliability is their tree-trimming regimen. After their contractors have tortured the trees into very unnatural shapes, the trees don't look very good, but this does help to keep their branches away from power lines. I have to assume that JCP&L is not as aggressive with tree-trimming as PSEG is.

The big problem--for all electric utilities--is fallen trees, and there is no way for a utility to prevent that occurrence.

Old 08-18-2020, 08:24 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Yes, with the exception of the effects of Superstorm Sandy--when I was w/o power for 3 days--I have never experienced a PSEG power outage of more than an hour or two, and even those are rare. I think that one of the main reasons for PSEG's superior reliability is their tree-trimming regimen. After their contractors have tortured the trees into very unnatural shapes, the trees don't look very good, but this does help to keep their branches away from power lines. I have to assume that JCP&L is not as aggressive with tree-trimming as PSEG is.

The big problem--for all electric utilities--is fallen trees, and there is no way for a utility to prevent that occurrence.
i heard lately a lot of praise for pse&g and attacks against jcp&l. i dont take them seriously without knowing more. people tend to complain about what they have and dont know much about other providers. i wonder if the pse&g service area has less trees than jcp&l. holmdel has a lot of trees and a lot of them fell down in that last storm. im not sure what jcp&l could do to stop that. if they put together a plan to chop down all the trees that threaten the lines, then people will complain about them cutting down trees.

the town politicians say they will do something but i think that is just bs opportunism on their part that will amount to nothing. but id like for them to come up with a proposal to chop down all the trees and a proposal to bury all the power lines and give the cost of each and let the people vote if they want to do it. i doubt that they will.

Last edited by CaptainNJ; 08-18-2020 at 09:41 AM..

Old 08-18-2020, 10:05 AM

4,180 posts, read 5,061,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i wonder if the pse&g service area has less trees than jcp&l.
It does, but why does that matter ? JCP&L has had enough time to install backups, make improvements, etc.

Old 08-18-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
It does, but why does that matter ? JCP&L has had enough time to install backups, make improvements, etc.
what back ups and improvements should they do to stop trees from falling in the case of a storm?

Old 08-18-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
i heard lately a lot of praise for pse&g and attacks against jcp&l. i dont take them seriously without knowing more. people tend to complain about what they have and dont know much about other providers. i wonder if the pse&g service area has less trees than jcp&l. holmdel has a lot of trees and a lot of them fell down in that last storm. im not sure what jcp&l could do to stop that. if they put together a plan to chop down all the trees that threaten the lines, then people will complain about them cutting down trees.

the town politicians say they will do something but i think that is just bs opportunism on their part that will amount to nothing. but id like for them to come up with a proposal to chop down all the trees and a proposal to bury all the power lines and give the cost of each and let the people vote if they want to do it. i doubt that they will.
Well, as I already said, I had PSE&G most of my life and can see the difference, and we had a lot more trees where I lived in Bergen County than we do down here in Monmouth. My mother's property is filled with huge old oaks and maples. She actually had a tree guy come look at them a few years ago and remove some branches, and she asked if she should be concerned about any of them falling. Interestingly, the tree guy said that when you have a lot of trees, they take up the wind and break up the currents better between them than when you have one tree standing alone here and another standing alone tree way over there.

Now that she's gone and we will sell the house, I'm betting that the buyers won't see the value in old, tall trees and will mow them down. Sad, but it won't be our business anymore.

No, nobody can do anything if trees fall down in a storm. That's not somebody's fault. A sloppy, uncoordinated response is, but that's a different story.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
what back ups and improvements should they do to stop trees from falling in the case of a storm?
Most electrical systems of any type nowadays require redundancies, so, for example, if a tree falls and knocks out the power to Town X, there should be a backup to reroute power to Town X temporarily from a different direction from the one where the fallen tree has taken down the wires. JCP&L doesn't seem to have a handle on that sort of thing.

Old 08-18-2020, 12:03 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,045 times
Quote:
Well, as I already said, I had PSE&G most of my life and can see the difference, and we had a lot more trees where I lived in Bergen County than we do down here in Monmouth. My mother's property is filled with huge old oaks and maples. She actually had a tree guy come look at them a few years ago and remove some branches, and she asked if she should be concerned about any of them falling. Interestingly, the tree guy said that when you have a lot of trees, they take up the wind and break up the currents better between them than when you have one tree standing alone here and another standing alone tree way over there.

Now that she's gone and we will sell the house, I'm betting that the buyers won't see the value in old, tall trees and will mow them down. Sad, but it won't be our business anymore.

No, nobody can do anything if trees fall down in a storm. That's not somebody's fault. A sloppy, uncoordinated response is, but that's a different story.
Gee. Why does that sound so familiar...

Old 08-18-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Most electrical systems of any type nowadays require redundancies, so, for example, if a tree falls and knocks out the power to Town X, there should be a backup to reroute power to Town X temporarily from a different direction from the one where the fallen tree has taken down the wires. JCP&L doesn't seem to have a handle on that sort of thing.
yes, a sloppy uncoordinated response would be their fault. i just dont know enough to evaluate it. it seems clear that their response wasnt perfect but i know every circuit in holmdel was taken out by the storm and i drove around and saw tons of trees down. maybe they did do a terrible job but i dont really know how much better someone doing a great job would have done. i dont like to criticize if i dont know for sure that they did a poor job.

it would be nice if we had those kinds of redundancies but im pretty sure that we dont. im not sure how common that is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey