Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 06:58 PM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
There shouldn't be any tolls in the first place. Your gas taxes go to the feds and the state. Turn the GSP into an interstate highway. Part of the NJ Turnpike already is. Also the Atlantic City Expressway.

New Jerseyans think it's their birthright to be screwed.
I am a New Yorker. In partial defense of the tolls, perhaps Trenton wants to collect as much from outsiders as it can. "Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike" means "they all 'come'" to pay in New Jersey.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2021, 08:15 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
There shouldn't be any tolls in the first place. Your gas taxes go to the feds and the state. Turn the GSP into an interstate highway. Part of the NJ Turnpike already is. Also the Atlantic City Expressway.

New Jerseyans think it's their birthright to be screwed.
Most everyone , except I guess if you're on the toll road payroll agrees with you BUT New Jersey has been screwed since the "good ole boys" wearing hats back in the 1940's started this toll road political club and even when the Federal Govt wanted to fund and build a toll free I-95 since the 1950's ON, the "good ole boys" toll road club derailed it every chance they got.

Its all history now BUT this page if you scroll left to right illustrates much of the plight we are forever enslaved to in the GREAT STATE.

Scroll left to right, across this link and related pages

Map 1: I-95 Corridor Shifts, 1954 - 1982

Bottom of this page has more pages:

I-95 Gap Signage: The I-95 Eastern Route

Last edited by captne76; 12-09-2021 at 08:30 PM..

Old 12-09-2021, 08:28 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
Governor Driscoll appointed three men to the turnpike authority in the late 1940s—Maxwell Lester, George Smith and Paul Troast, as chairman. They had no enabling legislation and no funding. They were able to open more than two-thirds of the road in 11 months, completing the whole (project) in less than two years ... When the commissioners broached the subject of landscaping the road ... the governor told them he wanted a road to take the interstate traffic ... off New Jersey's existing roads. Since 85 percent of the traffic at that time was estimated to be from out of state, why spend additional funds on landscaping?[39]

A brochure Interesting Facts about the New Jersey Turnpike, dating from soon after the road's opening, says that when the turnpike's bonds are paid off, "the law provides that the turnpike be turned over to the state for inclusion in the public highway system". Due to new construction, and the expectation that the turnpike pays for policing and maintenance, this has never come to pass.

Old 12-09-2021, 10:05 PM

88,510 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
The other premise we forgot all about is last ear when the tolls went up from $1 to $1.95 it was to support an entire list of major improvements, widening etc etc

NONE of which was or ever is being done, ALL of which was conveniently forgotten.
How so?

You really can't expect a widening project announced a year ago to be in construction already, but are you saying there's been no planning or design work performed, either?

ETA: This might be related.

https://www.enr.com/articles/51532-n...study-contract

Old 12-10-2021, 04:28 AM

1,012 posts, read 785,071 times
Nobody is outraged in New Jersey they vote democrat every-time and accept prices going up and they will tell you anything is better than Donald Trump or any Republican in office. A guy told me on facebook that he's happy with Biden and doesn't mind inflation because Trump isn't in office anymore.

You need two jobs just to survive in this state.

Old 12-10-2021, 07:16 AM

11,337 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Nobody is outraged in New Jersey they vote democrat every-time and accept prices going up and they will tell you anything is better than Donald Trump or any Republican in office. A guy told me on facebook that he's happy with Biden and doesn't mind inflation because Trump isn't in office anymore.

"The hate is strong in this one"

Old 12-10-2021, 07:36 AM

206 posts, read 116,502 times
Deep blue states are so ridiculous to live in. Unfortunately most of us have family ties and face the great unknown to relocate

Old 12-10-2021, 08:12 AM

88,510 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post

I survived on one job. And I've voted Democrat and Republican and Other over the years.

But this repetitive crap about NJ being a one-party state is old and just plain stupid. Biden got only 60% of the Presidential vote. We all saw the Trump signs everywhere and your silly caravan shutting down the Parkway (which maybe gave Biden a few more votes, lol), so we know everyone didn't vote Democrat. And for the most part, Biden got elected because he was Not Trump. That was to be expected.

The point was made in 2016: People were tired of same old same old politicians, so they put a crazy egomaniac in office to shake things up and embarrass the crap out the USA in front of the world. But now it's time to move on. Was Biden the best choice out there? No, but he was the one who could get enough people behind him to get the cuckoo-bird out. One term was enough to make the point.

The lesson here is let's move on and demand some REAL leadership in the future and stop licking the asses of losers in the name of the two established parties that only serve to divide us. Let's get some more choices. Why not let New Jersey lead the way in this type of thinking?

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 12-10-2021 at 08:54 AM..

Old 12-10-2021, 08:13 AM

50,714 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Do people here really believe that toll increases are unique to New Jersey? Do you think tolls in Florida are the same now that they were 10 years ago or any other red state that has tolls?

Old 12-10-2021, 09:31 AM

5,818 posts, read 12,620,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I was scratching my head here also. Can’t go anywhere in Florida without paying a toll. I never really get on the parkway to go anywhere except down the shore a handful of times per year. I use the turnpike sometimes but I can usually avoid it without adding more than about 5 minutes to wherever I’m going. Jersey Man must have just bring traveling up and down the parkway all day everyday to have a $300 ez pass bill.
For you and Foody that are scratching your heads, we live in SWFL and use Rt.75. The Florida Turnpike is more then 100 miles away from us and we never used it in our lifetime nor paid a toll in Fla. We live south of Toms River in NJ and travel up the Parkway and Turnpike 3 or 4 times a week to visit/help with an sick elderly parent. I guess you haven't traveled on the Turnpike often. Now stop scratching your head and enjoy the toll increase because it seems like it doesn't bother you guys. It's amazing that most people on here are OK with everything going up. I could see why there is non stop moves to lower tax states.

Last edited by JERSEY MAN; 12-10-2021 at 09:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey