Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2021, 08:23 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Maryland's system isn't even remotely similar to what I suggested.

It's very simple.

Ezpass but your plate. THEY ARE READING YOU PLATE ANYWAY.
New Mexico is even simpler. No tolls, period. You can drive for free anywhere you want, knowing that your gas tax bills genuinely go to road maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 08:24 PM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
New Mexico is even simpler. No tolls, period. You can drive for free anywhere you want, knowing that your gas tax bills genuinely go to road maintenance.
Is that the only state that has no toll roads?

Old 12-12-2021, 09:50 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I'm okay with it because I rarely use toll roads, just as you don't care about the cost increases on Florida tolls because you rarely use toll roads. I don't see the distinction.
I haven't been on the Turnpike for at least five years. I've was on the Parkway once in the 1990s. I take PATCO to Philly.

Old 12-13-2021, 10:56 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
No bills... an account that is attached to your license plate.

The system already reads licenses plates whether you have the tag or not. They definitely have the ability to create accounts attached to your license plate as opposed to a transponder signal.

In other words, exactly the same as ezpass, but your "transponder" is your plate. My plate passes a camera, bam, they charge my account.

There's no way that's out of the realm of current technology.
But right now, if I am going away or getting a car repaired over multiple days, I can rent a car, add it to my EZ pass account in 2 seconds, and take the transponder to the rental car to use, while the license wouldn't be portable. I've actually done that when on a road trip with friends in their car which didn't have EZPass.

Old 12-13-2021, 11:58 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
That's a rare issue, certainly not a reason to stop progress. The vast majority of ezpass tolls are definitely generated using the car on the account.

Not to mention, there is a simple solution for that as well: an app to control your account where you simply enter a temporary plate.

None of this is outside the realm of current technology.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 12-13-2021, 12:10 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
That's a rare issue, certainly not a reason to stop progress. The vast majority of ezpass tolls are definitely generated using the car on the account.

Not to mention, there is a simple solution for that as well: an app to control your account where you simply enter a temporary plate.

Getting rid of transponders and shifting to plates is a solution in search of a problem. Transponders have another advantage; to be able to associate the cars within one family to each other.

Old 12-13-2021, 12:23 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Quote:

Some EZ Pass tags get higher discounts for certain tolls.
https://new.mta.info/fares-and-tolls...y-vehicle/cars

"Bronx-Whitestone, Throgs Neck, and Robert F. Kennedy Bridges; Hugh L. Carey and Queens Midtown Tunnels
  • E-ZPass® 2: $6.55
  • Mid-Tier3: $8.36
  • Tolls by Mail: $10.17
2E-ZPass rates apply to NYCSC E-ZPass customers only. NYCSC tags are issued by The Port Authority of New York & New Jersey, The New York State Thruway Authority and MTA Bridges and Tunnels and have tag numbers beginning with 004, 005, 008, 013 or 018. Non-NYCSC customers pay Tolls by Mail rates.

3For E-ZPass New York Customer Service Center (NYCSC) Customers When Not Using Their Properly Mounted NYCSC E-Z Pass Tag; For Crossing Charges Posted to NYCSC E-ZPass Accounts Based on License Plates; and For NYCSC Third-Party Account Providers"

Old 12-13-2021, 12:48 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Is that the only state that has no toll roads?
That's a good question, and I didn't know the answer but researched it. I was surprised. I thought most states had no toll roads, but in fact, only 19 are toll-free. That would include interstate bridges and so forth. For instance, Indiana has no tolls, but there are three bridges that cross the Ohio River into Kentucky, and those are all tolled. If you subtract the bridges, states with toll roads include

New Jersey
New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Maryland (I-95 express only)
North Carolina (small stretch in Research Triangle)
Maine
South Carolina (another small stretch around Columbia)
Massachusetts
Colorado (small stretch around Denver)
California (express lanes)

Connecticut and Kentucky used to have toll roads, but did the honorable thing many years ago and bulldozed them. It happens, it's the will of the population. They can go away.

Old 12-13-2021, 01:32 PM

19,126 posts, read 25,327,931 times
Quote:
Connecticut and Kentucky used to have toll roads, but did the honorable thing many years ago and bulldozed them. It happens, it's the will of the population. They can go away.
I can't speak about Kentucky, but the actual reason for the removal of tollbooths on the CT Turnpike was that the old, narrow, outdated highway had several horrendously fiery fatal crashes at toll plazas in the 1980s. Rather than suffer more of that carnage, the tollbooths were removed, and the fatality rate on that obsolete road declined markedly.

However, over the past couple of years, there has been talk of re-instituting tolls (via overhead gantries) on the CT Turnpike, as well as some other highways. Whether this will actually take place is an unknown, but they have been tossing the idea around for over two years.

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...lz4-story.html

Old 12-13-2021, 01:52 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I can't speak about Kentucky, but the actual reason for the removal of tollbooths on the CT Turnpike was that the old, narrow, outdated highway had several horrendously fiery fatal crashes at toll plazas in the 1980s. Rather than suffer more of that carnage, the tollbooths were removed, and the fatality rate on that obsolete road declined markedly.

However, over the past couple of years, there has been talk of re-instituting tolls (via overhead gantries) on the CT Turnpike, as well as some other highways. Whether this will actually take place is an unknown, but they have been tossing the idea around for over two years.

https://www.courant.com/politics/hc-...lz4-story.html

Connecticut was going to stick a gantry over it's 3/4 mile stretch of I-684, a stretch with no exits and entrances. Some Westchester County municipalities were urging NYS to retaliate on roads in New York driven principally by CT motorists. CT, not surprisingly, backed down. An interesting idea would be to withhold snow removal and road maintenance from the CT stretch of 684/.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey